By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - id Boss: 3rd-Party Wii Development "Not Really Justified"

mario kart wii sold enough to buy out his crummy company.

Around the Network
GOONYDUDE said:
I think that the wii remote is what turns alot of developers away from the wii. Now if the wii had a more "traditional" game pad more developers might be willing to make a serious effort. The wii remote is still seen as sort of a gimmick to alot of people.

no i think it is the systems power.  Heck if I was a developer I would want my game to be the best it can be.  I would want amazing graphics, amazing AI, amazing physics, huge world, long game, voice acting, ect.  They look and see that the ps3/360 can make a much higher VISUALLY pleasing game.  And the easiest and the thing people seem to think is the most important is the visual part.  Its easiest to market, show, hype ect.  Showing some amazing graphics and special effects are easy to market. 

But does it make a better game.  Think of the star wars movies, the 1-3 are billion times better special effects and stuff but does that make them better movies.  Or the new indiana jones movie.  The original movies are so much better.  But special effects and graphics are so "cool" and everyone want sto do them. 

If you have an amazing game in mind would you rather it be some super high tech best looking game ever, or throw it on the wiiware/psn/live as a 2d game or whatever.  Developers are just being selfish, sooner or later the ceo and shareholders will be like "fucking get over making a pretty game and make one that sells for profit"

"Ah looks like typical 3rd party sales denial syndrom of Wii owners - when ID guy is perfectly right."

Ah, looks like a fanboy claiming something NPD debunked months ago, meaning you and the iD guy are perfectly wrong.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Words Of Wisdom said:
Darc Requiem said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
LordTheNightKnight said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Darc Requiem said:

I have to side with NJ5 on this one MakingMusic. Look at GTAIV. Despite all of the copies it sold Take Two still lost money. Midway is bankrupt and while they put out stinkers like Area51 Blacksite, their MK titles sold well and they put out other sold titles like Stranglehold. EA despite all of the software they sell lose money continually as well. Sure a Haze or Lair will sink a smaller company but when a GTAIV or Madden title can't put your company in the black, something is truly wrong.

Are you saying recent Madden games haven't been profitable?

No, read the comment again.

I read it correctly the first time.  The last sentence strongly implies that Madden should be able to power all of EA on its own which is utter nonsense.

You read my post, but completely missed the point. Everyone else seemed to get my point. Which was that you have third parties like EA that have several multimillion seller titles losing money. Your initial response "Are you saying recent Madden games haven't been profitable?" Is completely off base as isn't implied anywhere in my post.  You seemed zero in on the last sentence and ignore the rest of the post entirely.

What puzzles me even more is I said in my initial post that EA loses money despite all of the software they sell. Why did I specifically list Madden and GTAIV for that matter? They are the two most well known properities of two major third parties developers that lose millions every year in spite of selling massive amounts of software. Which was the whole point of my post to begin with. NJ5 said that said that supporting the other platforms have proved financialy disasterous. The biggest third party developers being unable to profit supports his view of the situation.

Read your last sentence again and pay attention to the "but when a GTAIV or Madden title can't put your company in the black, something is truly wrong."  EA isn't failing with its flagship title; its losses are coming with other efforts AFAIK.  Instead of cheekishly mentioning big name titles as if they should support the company's other ventures, you should directly call out the offenders.

Going on to talk about supporting other platforms proving dangerous is also absurd when EA has their multiplatform Madden title which shows that multiplatform games work very well for the series (though Wii/Xbox Original sales are lackluster compared to other platforms).  It's not supporting other platforms that's killing companies, it's producing games for a target audience that has no interest in them that's hurting.  There is no PS2 of this generation; no one console in this generation is a money machine for developers that they can put all their titles on and expect to get rich.  Developers actually need to pay attention to fanbases, target audiences, and other factors now.  Each time they guess wrong the market hits them with a financial loss and right now, a lot of people are guessing wrong.

WoW, you seem to be the only one having trouble comprehending my post. You cherry picked one sentence and ignored the rest. You want to do that go ahead. I'm not going split hairs with one poster than didn't comprehend what I was trying say.

Darc Requiem said:

WoW, you seem to be the only one having trouble comprehending my post. You cherry picked one sentence and ignored the rest. You want to do that go ahead. I'm not going split hairs with one poster than didn't comprehend what I was trying say.

It's comforting to know the best you can manage is an insult instead of an actual response.

Around the Network
Words Of Wisdom said:
Darc Requiem said:

It's comforting to know the best you can manage is an insult instead of an actual response.

That's not an insult. That is an accusation of ignorance, which is not quite the same.

Regardless, the statement you keep insistiting means Madden isn't profitable does not. You are reading it wrong.

"... when a GTAIV or Madden title can't put your company in the black..."

I see the word "company" not making money, not "game" or "series", which is what would be required to mean the Madden series isn't making money. Since it is the latter word, it clearly does not mean it's claiming Madden isn't profitable.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Words Of Wisdom said:
Darc Requiem said:

WoW, if I was going to insult you. I would have been far more crass. Simply put. You were wrong about my post. You obviously aren't going admit that. So any further discussion would be pointless. You responded to one sentence in my post that you took out of context. When you are cornered you do what you always do, post sarcastic one liners.

Zlejedi said:
Third party games don't sell well unless they are old gamecube rehashes, instrument music games or casual stuff so it would be unwise for companies wanting to produce quality core games to go for Wii.

Your trolling have failed.

Darc Requiem said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Darc Requiem said:

WoW, if I was going to insult you. I would have been far more crass. Simply put. You were wrong about my post. You obviously aren't going admit that. So any further discussion would be pointless. You responded to one sentence in my post that you took out of context. When you are cornered you do what you always do, post sarcastic one liners.

I don't always post sarcastic oneliners and I did read your post.  Your point was that high development costs have made it prohibitively difficulty to turn a profit and you named companies like Midway and TakeTwo as victims of this and that even proven money-makers of the past haven't compensated for this.  Please don't ever assume I missed a point.

Now I will try and salvage the points I touched on in my last post and attempt to explain why they're related to your point.  Madden is an important part of this because it's profitable on all consoles (including HD AFAIK) and it's visually improved in most incarnations.  It's also important because it shows a very interesting trend--selling high on PS3/360/PS2 and low on the Wii.  The biggest share of the money it brings is on the consoles that according to your point should probably be the hardest to turn a profit on.

Now if Madden can turn a profit, why can't the rest?  In cases like GTA4, they simply overestimate sales and spend too much time in development.  In other cases, like I mentioned earlier, they pick the wrong system to put the game on.  In even more cases, they lack an essential element that give others an advantage (brand-name recognition, quality, etc).  Whatever the case, you can't always point at the same factor and use it to explain everything.

And I apologize for any hostility in my earlier posts.

Words Of Wisdom said:
Darc Requiem said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
Darc Requiem said:

I don't always post sarcastic oneliners and I did read your post.  Your point was that high development costs have made it prohibitively difficulty to turn a profit and you named companies like Midway and TakeTwo as victims of this and that even proven money-makers of the past haven't compensated for this.  Please don't ever assume I missed a point.

Now I will try and salvage the points I touched on in my last post and attempt to explain why they're related to your point.  Madden is an important part of this because it's profitable on all consoles (including HD AFAIK) and it's visually improved in most incarnations.  It's also important because it shows a very interesting trend--selling high on PS3/360/PS2 and low on the Wii.  The biggest share of the money it brings is on the consoles that according to your point should probably be the hardest to turn a profit on.

Now if Madden can turn a profit, why can't the rest?  In cases like GTA4, they simply overestimate sales and spend too much time in development.  In other cases, like I mentioned earlier, they pick the wrong system to put the game on.  In even more cases, they lack an essential element that give others an advantage (brand-name recognition, quality, etc).  Whatever the case, you can't always point at the same factor and use it to explain everything.

And I apologize for any hostility in my earlier posts.

I'd just say that one reason it's probably easier for a game like Madden to turn a profit, is that the base game just needs to be updated year after year. I doubt there is anything like a ground up version made after the first version of the game is made in any given generation. 

Pay your artists to update the player models, add some new players, take a few out, add a mode or two, change some stats and voila! Madden XX is ready.

http://www.shanepeters.com/

http://shanepeters.deviantart.com/

Achievement is its own reward, pride only obscures.

HATING OPHELIA- Coming soon from Markosia Comics!