By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official WiiWare, Virtual Console, and DSi Ware thread

I don't know what happened to me today , but I felt the need to download more games :p

I bought 4 WiiWare games and 1 VC game:

Ant Nation, Cue Sports: Pool Revolution, Gradius Rebirth, Art Style Orbient, and Kirby.

Quick thoughts:

Kirby: Never played the Nes version. This game really impressed me. Fun platformer with good graphics and enjoyable music.

Ant Nation: This game is like having an Ant Farm, you control a colony of ants and train them to accomplish missions like fighting other insects. I don't know if the game will keep my interest much longer, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

Cue Sports: Pool Revolution: Similar to Wii Play billiard, but this one has online. Just played 2 matches (against CPU), I liked it and it's cheap. Don't know if it's better than Midnight Pool though.

Gradius Rebirth: The one I spent most of my time today. Awesome game, I was never a fan of shooters but I'm really enjoying this. The music is great and it has a lot of action. This game is hard as hell!

Art Style Orbient: This is my first Art Style game and I'm really impressed. A great and unique puzzle game, very different from what I've played before. Loving it.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Around the Network

July 20th:

WiiWare

FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES: My Life as a Darklord

Publisher: SQUARE ENIX
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Mild Fantasy Violence, Mild Suggestive Themes
Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
Description: Step into the royal shoes of the Darklord's daughter as she installs traps and monsters inside her tower to fight back the endless waves of invading adventurers in this world-conquest RPG. Known as Artifacts, these monsters and traps are your only hope in keeping the adventurers from destroying the Dark Crystal on the top floor. Fly your tower across the land and conquer every stage on your way to dominating the entire world.

Battle Poker

Publisher: Left Field Productions
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 800 Wii Points
Description: Battle Poker is a family-friendly card game with up to four players battling against the clock to make the best five-card hand possible. Battles are played across multiple rounds, and points are scored for each round based on the quality of the hand. Each player uses a Wii Remote™ controller to point and click on a standard deck of cards on the screen. The first click flips the card over, at which point it can be grabbed by anyone else. You've got to have fast fingers and eyes to grab the cards you need before someone else snatches them.

5 Spots Party

Publisher: Cosmonaut Games
Players: 1-4
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: Have fun with the entire family and compete in three different play modes. 5 Spots Party is a game of skill for all ages based on the popular game of finding five differences. The goal is to find the greatest number of differences in the pictures shown. In the party modes, you must compete with other players and find as many mistakes as possible. In the 1-Player mode, you must find the differences before time runs out in order to beat the game's highest scores. How far do you think you can go?

Nintendo DSiWare

Art Style: ZENGAGE™

Publisher: Nintendo
Players: 1
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: Do you dream of relaxing with a great puzzle game? Art Style: ZENGAGE revolves around sliding cells (squares) to match colors with cores (beads) located on the board. Clear each stage by matching all of the cores and cells. As you progress through the game's 100-plus stages, you'll encounter cells with special characteristics, such as immovability, which further add to the challenge. To truly master ZENGAGE, you must keep your mind sharp and employ careful strategy to complete stages in as few moves as possible. Combining wistful graphics and mesmerizing sound, ZENGAGE creates a surreal world that should be experienced by all puzzle gaming fans.

Soma said:
I don't know what happened to me today , but I felt the need to download more games :p

I bought 4 WiiWare games and 1 VC game:

Ant Nation, Cue Sports: Pool Revolution, Gradius Rebirth, Art Style Orbient, and Kirby.

Quick thoughts:

Kirby: Never played the Nes version. This game really impressed me. Fun platformer with good graphics and enjoyable music.

Ant Nation: This game is like having an Ant Farm, you control a colony of ants and train them to accomplish missions like fighting other insects. I don't know if the game will keep my interest much longer, but so far I'm really enjoying it.

Cue Sports: Pool Revolution: Similar to Wii Play billiard, but this one has online. Just played 2 matches (against CPU), I liked it and it's cheap. Don't know if it's better than Midnight Pool though.

Gradius Rebirth: The one I spent most of my time today. Awesome game, I was never a fan of shooters but I'm really enjoying this. The music is great and it has a lot of action. This game is hard as hell!

Art Style Orbient: This is my first Art Style game and I'm really impressed. A great and unique puzzle game, very different from what I've played before. Loving it.

Thanks again! I'm fairly interested in Ant Nation, as I liked Sim Ant back in the day, but it sounds like they're pretty different in a lot of ways (and to be honest, the manual was my favorite part of that game).

I didn't played Sim Ant, but from what I've heard yeah, they are different games.

This is part of a review I found on NintendoLife.com

"Ant Nation is categorized as a ‘simulation’ game. But that is not entirely accurate. Sim Ant was a simulation game in which you managed a colony of ants much like a city in Sim City. But that is not the kind of game play you should expect here. Instead, Ant Nation plays more like a simplified real time strategy game mixed with Pikmin in that it is mission based and your goal is to shepherd your ants from task to task. The only ‘simulation’ aspect to the game comes in the form of expanding your ant colony in between missions."

"Ant Nation is a tight little strategy game that will be familiar to fans of Pikmin and real time strategy games, but will play differently enough to provide a fresh experience. Additionally, the game play is simple and the early missions helpful enough that newcomers to the genre will have no trouble getting into the fun.

Conclusion

There are not too many games on WiiWare right now that offer a ‘simulation’ game experience like what Ant Nation provides. So fans of this genre will quickly dismiss any faults, such as the widely varying difficulty of each level, the bland graphics, and the lack of much replay value after you have finished the main game and look only to its good aspects such as its short, manageable missions and rewarding sense of accomplishment from completing them. But in the end Ant Nation is just a fun, quirky game that most people with a sense of humor and at least a passing interest in strategy will get some pleasure out of.

Score 7/10"

Changing topic, Gradius Rebirth is awesome. Is this game a remake of the first Gradius? Gradius III? Or a completely different game? Which is the best shooter on WiiWare/VC?

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

That actually sounds closer to Sim Ant than not (the game was nothing like Sim City), but moving on. Rebirth is a remake of the original Gradius. I haven't played all the VC/WiiWare shooter (apart from SHMUPGuru, who has?) but for my money I liked Star Parodier. It's funny and fun at the same time. Lords of Thunder was also pretty good, albeit in a very different way.

Around the Network

No VC game today. Come on Nintendo, I know you gave us 2 last week, but this is the first time ever (except WiiWare launch week) with no VC games! D:

I just want my SSB right now.

well, we've had 3 wiiware game two weeks in a row. are the companies finally starting to pump them out now?

anyway, i'll be getting my mitts on my life as a dark when i get the cash (thanks to the awesomely amazing llittle kings story which i will be getting on wednesday, i have 0 funds.)

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

awesome week, My Life As A Darklord looks great and I love the Art Style series

i wanna see more art style games on wiiware. theres been none added in months, and dsiware already has like 6 of them (or was it 7?) i know you wanaa show off the dsi, nintendo, but the good ole wii still has some tricks up it's sleeve.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

im thinking of getting bomberman blast. does anyone here have it as i want to know if the online multiplayer is alive and kicking or is it impossible to find a game on there?