By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - The Official WiiWare, Virtual Console, and DSi Ware thread

when i got the game a few months ago. it would always seem to put me into the game with the same players, as if it was the ONLY group up. it is pretty fun though, even playing with the same people.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

Around the Network

VTnev27's mini-reviews:

DSiWare

-Art Style: Aquia- A fresh puzzle game that is definitely not for the weak at heart. Difficulty on the “easy” mode alone sometimes is frustratingly difficult, but also makes clearing stages oh so satisfying. If you have a DSi, this is something to consider. 7.5/10

-Art Style:PictoBits- Another puzzle game that I would recommend for anyone who is looking for a puzzler that is a little different. It also has a nice amount of content for the five dollars it costs, including seeing many of your favorite Nintendo 8-bit sprites, and some NES tunes that can be unlocked for your listening pleasure. Not an easy game by any means, but you do get the hang of it after a while. 9.0/10

-Mighty Flip Champs- A very good puzzler which can only be done on the DS. Innovative game design, where you guide Alta to Fishman by flipping through the tile sets of each stage like pages in a book whenever you run into a spot where you can’t move on. In the initial stages, there are only two “pages,” the top showing the main action, the bottom showing what the stage looks like after you “flip it.” Later stages (Stage 5 and beyond), have six or more “pages” and the only one you see on the bottom screen is the one that comes next. A great game that should be owned by anyone who owns a Dsi, enjoys a good puzzle game, and has the patience to plow through a game that has a difficulty up there with the early Contras and Megamans. 8.7/10.0

-Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again- A great puzzle-esque game (noticing the pattern?) which shows exaclty what kind of games this service should be sharing. You guide the minis by touching them to get them started, and then removing blocks with the stylus and reassigning them to designated areas.There are ten floors in the main game, four initial stages and a plus mode for those, and a basement and roof floor. There are a decent amount of stages for an eight dollar downloadable game in that alone, but the real meat of this game comes from the downloadable content and the stage maker. There are tons of user generated stages for download, plus Nintendo has put out five stages a week since the game’s release. All in all, this game is a great showcase for what this service should be about. 9.0/10

-Art Style: Base 10- I’m a numbers guy, I like things to be concrete and definitive. That’s why I took a shot on this title even though the impressions I had read all over the internet were down on this game in one way or another. You hold the DSi like a book in this title, and unfortunately there is no left-handed support (sorry lefties.) In the game’s main mode numbers “fall” from left to right and your goal is to match numbers that add up to ten. Numbers are added in sequence as you progress through the stages (level one only has 1 and 2, level two has 1, 2, and 3; all the way to the final level which has numbers 0 through 9.) you can also move the numbers around, but they move as though they are in a digital clock, an example being if you move a 3 left or right it turns into an “E” and thus, can’t be used in matching. Although this game doesn’t exactly match up with the likes of Pictobits, it definitely is a good game. If you like numbers you should give this game a shot. If not, then you probably want to shy away. 8.0/10.0

This week's PAL releases:

Kirby's Dream Land 3
Detana Twin Bee
Colorz
Heracles Chariot Racing
A Little Bit of Brain Training: Sudoku

Art Style: Cubello is an awesome and addicting puzzle game. It's simple, relaxing and very fun. I don't care for the robot voice though. When I fail a level, it doesn't even frustrate me at all, which is odd for me. :D There are a lot of levels too. So far I'd give it a 9/10.

But I just downloaded it today. Fastest dowbload ever! Mario ran across the screen 3 times. Only 47 blocks of memory.

WiiWare

Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1
Publisher: Telltale Games
Players: 1
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Alcohol Reference, Comic Mischief, Mild Language, Mild Suggestive Themes
Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
Description: Join Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate, in this first chapter of an epic five-part saga, filled with humor, romance and piratey swashbuckling. When a showdown with the demon pirate LeChuck goes up in flames, Guybrush gets marooned on a strange island. How will he escape? Where is Guybrush's beloved wife, Elaine? And what's up with the voodoo pox spreading through the isles? Jump into Tales of Monkey Island today to find out!

The Three Musketeers: One for All!
Publisher: Legendo Entertainment
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Cartoon Violence
Price: 900 Wii Points
Description: The Three Musketeers have been imprisoned by the treacherous Count Xavier and his sinister lieutenant, Count Orsini! Well, almost - take on the role of Porthos, famed member of the Musketeers, to save the day in this swashbuckling platform adventure inspired by the classic novel. Swing the Wii Remote™ to launch blistering sword attacks on your foes, avoid fiendish traps and discover hidden collectables. Packed with frenetic fencing, heroic leaps and fun puzzles, this is one adventure no aspiring hero will want to miss.

HB Arcade Cards
Publisher: HB Studios Multimedia
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone)
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: HB Arcade Cards is a great collection of fun and easy-to-play card games. The collection of games included in this title includes: Rummy, Hearts, Euchre, Canasta, Cribbage and the always-classic Solitaire. Each game comes with an interactive tutorial to show you the rules and basic game play. You'll need to be clever to outsmart your opponents, and you can even team up with a computer partner to play Euchre and Cribbage. You can play HB Arcade Cards using a Mii™ character from your Wii™ console, or play with one of our four new characters. HB Arcade Cards has lots of style and flare, and will keep you coming back for more. Remember, it's never the same game twice.

Nintendo DSiWare

Sudoku Student
Publisher: Hudson Entertainment
Price: 200 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: Sudoku Student brings you the first Nintendo DSiWare sudoku experience with all the features you'd expect. For "students" of sudoku who are just getting their feet wet, Sudoku Student comes with a full tutorial. Once you've completed the tutorial, jump into simple and easy-going sudoku puzzles. Designed for entry- to beginner-level players, you'll find just the right amount of challenge to keep you hooked.

Around the Network

Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1

Publisher: Telltale Games
Price: 1,000 Wii Points™
Description: Join Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate, in this first chapter of an epic five-part saga, filled with humor, romance and piratey swashbuckling. When a showdown with the demon pirate LeChuck goes up in flames, Guybrush gets marooned on a strange island. How will he escape? Where is Guybrush's beloved wife, Elaine? And what's up with the voodoo pox spreading through the isles? Jump into Tales of Monkey Island today to find out!
The Three Musketeers: One for All!

Publisher: Legendo Entertainment
Price: 900 Wii Points
Description: The Three Musketeers have been imprisoned by the treacherous Count Xavier and his sinister lieutenant, Count Orsini! Well, almost - take on the role of Porthos, famed member of the Musketeers, to save the day in this swashbuckling platform adventure inspired by the classic novel. Swing the Wii Remote™ to launch blistering sword attacks on your foes, avoid fiendish traps and discover hidden collectables. Packed with frenetic fencing, heroic leaps and fun puzzles, this is one adventure no aspiring hero will want to miss.
Driift Mania

Nintendo Points: 800

Publisher: Konami

Genre: Racing

Players: 8

Driift Mania is a fast-paced racer that allows up to eight players to race each other, using cartoon-style cars. Featuring twelve different tracks based on four themed environments – cityscape, hills, snow and a desert oasis – players can also select one of 32 vehicles from four categories. Each category is tailored for use within the different environments, with variations of speed, acceleration and handling and grip levels making specific vehicles ideal for particular locations. Driift Mania’s multi-player modes allow users to play using combinations of Wii Remotes, Nunchucks and Classic Controllers, and seven game modes are on offer. These range from the single-player and multi-player championships, and Team Race, wherein participants are divided into two teams, with the winner determined by those that accrue the most points. The VIP mode elects one player per team as a VIP vehicle, who must be protected at all costs from the opposition cars, with the removal of the VIP car resulting in a win for the attacking team.

Just got Onslaught and Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a Dark Lord. FFCC:MLaaDL is not so great in my eyes. I will probably write something slightly more in depth after playing it some more, but I need some time to forget my initial experience. I love Tower Defense games though. Bad games tear me up inside.

Onslaught
The game is extremely well done for a Wii Ware title. The first thing that struck me is the controls are rock solid. The aiming is as natural as any other FPS you have played on the Wii. The level of customization could use a bit of work, but it definitely works well enough as is. There are 4 levels of sensitivity, but the differences between them are pretty minor. I don't think there is a way to re-map any of the buttons, but I didn't delve too far into it. The control scheme is so intuitively set-up I have not needed to even try to look up which buttons do what. Every time I press a button it seems to just magically do whatever I expect of it.

The looks like Starship Troopers minus the bugs that were clearly modeled after parts of human anatomy. There is not a lot of variety in the types of monsters around, but that is to be expected with such a low file size limit. The terrain is fairly varied, and normally pretty interesting to look at. Occasionally a level will seem over run with brown, but most levels have some color in it. The only problem I had were the fact that all the characters seemed to look the same. When one of you is a merchant, and the other two part of an elite group of bad ass soldiers I expect the difference to be obvious in the space armor you use. The only saving grace is due to the color scheme used to identify each of the characters I can pretend they are the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles under the armor.

The game play is really fun. There are 4 guns to work with, and the each have various advantages. The only minor annoyance can be with the fact that the ammo remaining is located on the gun itself. This can cause it to be moved off screen for some guns (the rocket launcher is the worst) but it is not a game breaking problem. The guns themselves are relatively well balanced against each other, and each receive 3 upgrades in the game. Some simply need to be found in boxes while going through levels, while others require more dedication (like beating the game on Ultra Hard). You also get a vicious whip and grenades which can also be upgraded. The game will track your score as well as a combo meter indicating how long its been since you either missed a shot, or took longer than 5 seconds (give or take) to kill something. The game play is fairly repetitive though. If you don't like the sounds of killing thousands of bugs then stay away.

The online portion really is the most impressive part of this game. You can play against, or work with up to 4 people. 4 people online might not seem like much to brag about, but that is how many people the Wii version of Quantum of Solace supported. Of course there is no death match option for the game (players compete for score) but the comparison still shows the work put into the title. 4 player online co-op is fairly impressive however. Especially considering the fact that it is the only game to offer such a feature on the Wii. There is probably an online leader board for the game, but I simply don't care enough to look. All and all its a great game.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Thanks Gnizmo! Again, I appreciate the review. I honestly was tempted to get Onslaught, although The Conduit reminded me why I rarely play FPS' anymore. I'm still intrigued by Water Warfare though, just for the novelty.

DSiWare is finally finished (for now). Too bad EVERY SINGLE GOOD TITLE on the service is a puzzler...

August 3:

Aug. 3, 2009

The onset of August means summer is winding down, but the downloadable action at the Wii™ Shop Channel and Nintendo DSi Shop™ just keeps on heating up. Two new WiiWare™ offerings deliver futuristic robot foes and sultry poker opponents, respectively. On the Virtual Console™, there's great news for football fans as the arcade classic TECMO BOWL™ makes its way to the Wii system. And on Nintendo DSiWare™, you'll find a fresh addition to the eye-pleasing, mind-bending Art Style™ game series.

WiiWare

OVERTURN
Publisher: Studio Zan Inc.
Players: 1-4
ESRB Rating: E10+ (Everyone 10 and Older) - Fantasy Violence
Price: 800 Wii Points™
Description: OVERTURN is a futuristic robot-versus-robot fighting game. Choose from eight different robots to pilot and master, using various close-range and long-range weapons to blast away enemies in six single-player tournaments. Unlock secret modes and up to 12 new weapons. Customize your robot's color and weapons to prepare for your next battle. Then take the action online to play in a two-player Versus battle or a four-player Battle Royale match. Search the world for Friends or other players who are online and ready for battle. Players with the optional Wii Balance Board™ can use it to control their robots by shifting their weight.

Sexy Poker™
Publisher: Gameloft
ESRB Rating: M (Mature) - Simulated Gambling, Suggestive Themes
Price: 500 Wii Points
Description: Get your pulse racing with a game of strip poker against a selection of six lovely manga-style women who may wind up in nothing but swimsuits or underwear when the final hand is dealt. Choose the classic Texas Hold'em Poker to be thrilled as the bets increase, or try the Black Jack game for a mix of chance and strategy. Discover the girls' personalities: they'll bluff you! Enter the photo gallery to see the pictures you've unlocked by playing and winning. If you're good enough, Emi, Sakura and their seductive girlfriends will bet their clothes to stay in the game.

Virtual Console

TECMO BOWL
Publisher: Tecmo
Players: 1-4
Price: 600 Wii Points
Description: Released in 1987, the football game that took America by storm is back. This arcade version required a custom-made dual-screen cabinet and was popular for its large characters and intense graphics. The game is filled with great action as players take control of receivers and running backs, quickly moving the controller to break a tackle. Play alone or with up to four players in a two-on-two match. Experience the best moments of both competitive and cooperative play, finding holes in your opponent's defense, then savor the thrill of receiving a pass thrown by your teammate. In addition, game options such as play time, team division and difficulty level can be adjusted.

Nintendo DSiWare

Art Style: precipice™
Publisher: Nintendo
ESRB Rating: E (Everyone) - Comic Mischief
Price: 500 Nintendo DSi Points™
Description: The sky is falling in the form of cubes in the action-oriented Art Style: precipice. Watch for the telltale shadow to avoid seeing your character get crushed by a falling cube while climbing the stacked cubes to ascend to the floors above. Push, pull or shove cubes to make your climb easier. Try to gain extra points by stepping on five cubes in a row on the same floor. In addition, you'll encounter special cubes that can either be helpful or harmful to your effort. Choose from either TEN FLOORS mode, which challenges you to reach the tenth floor while scoring as many points as possible, or TOWER mode, which gives you the chance to climb as high as you can. Do you have what it takes to make it to the top, or will you be crushed?

Alright, Sexy Poker, a flash-game with no nudity! Woohoo!

Seriously though, Tecmo Bowl is nice (And Virtual Console is back!) for a nostalgia trip, and we get another Artstyle game!

Also, three more chapters for The After Years have been unlocked:

Porom's Tale: The Vanished Lunar Whale
Edward's Tale: Star-Crossed Damcyan
The Lunarian's Tale: The Blue Planet That Was