By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will God of War III and FFXIII outsell Halo 3's opening week?

Install base doesnt matter that much. It's not like if a game has sold 10 million copies on a 100 million userbase then it'll sell only 3 millions on a 30 million userbase. It doesnt work like that. At all.

GT4 was the 2nd GT game on PS2, therefore it had lower sales. It happens like that almost all the time with big games (GTA being an exception)

Around the Network

No Halo 3 had much more hype.

God of War III won't be even close to what people seem to claim way too often; Final Fantasy XIII on the other hand might just have a slight chance. That prediction isn't based on any actual facts though; no research done.

sieanr said:
Do people really think GOW sells that well?

Get some fucking perspective.

This.

"Man is born free but is everywhere in chains" - Rousseau

God of War isn't even in the same league as halo is in terms of sales. People over-estimate how big the franchise is.

God of War 1 is the best selling game in the series and going by Vgchartz data its lifetime sales aren't as much as halo 3 did in its first week of release.

I'm going to assume that God of War sold more then that as the others data hasn't been updated or anything but it still isn't anywhere near as big as halo.

FF13 might outsell halo 3's opening week if we're talking about both version being combined but even then its a stretch.

Around the Network
FastFord58 said:
sieanr said:
Do people really think GOW sells that well?

Get some fucking perspective.

This.

Relax, nobody is expecting God of War 3 to outsell "look I'm on a Soda can" most over hyped game of all time Halo 3. But there is also no doubt that God of War 3 will Kick so much more ass. I just picked up GOW1 for PS2 and man that game is fun as hell. Part 3 in 1080p with the "zipper" gore? *drools* It will sell about as good as Killzone 2. A few hundred thousand more.

FF13 has a chance at outselling HALO if you count multiplat. If you do that though, GTA4 and COD4 already have.

I'm thinking GT5 will not outsell Halo 3. Falling short about 2 milllion.

God of War no...it might hit a million first week.

Final Fantasy XIII will have close to 3 million first week on the PS3 alone, throw in X360 sales and it should crack 4 million first week.

PS3

Japan: 1.7 million

America: 600K

Others: 600K

Total: 2.9 million

X360

America: 600K

Others: 500K

Total: 1.1 million

Grand Total: 4 million

Nope the Hype machine is not on. Remember the crazy NY release at midnight for Halo 3. Then the count down in each timezone across the states. I do remember stations like G4 interview celebs as they picked up copies of the game.

I can't talk about Europe. I don't know how hyped the release was over there.

Consoles: Atari 5200, NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, Xbox 360, PS3

Not a chance.

I'm not hating on either game though. God Of War 3, I'd expect maximum 2 million and thats being generous (it'll have legs).

When and where will FFXIII be released, do we have any official news? If FFXIII launched in all territories on PS3 and 360 (except Japan obviously) then it would stand a chance. I thought FFXIII would launch in Japan on PS3 only though first in which case there is no chance of any PS3 title selling 2 million in Japan only first week (thats a big IMO).

Apologies I didn't read through the entire thread if these points have been debunked already.

Final fantasy 13 maybe. God of war- i don't see it selling that many