By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - That's it! I have decided to start and finish Ocarina of time!

Do more side-quests!

First go to the Death Mountain again. As other people said it is not inside the mountain but a bit more on the left side and you need bombs to get in there. Also go to the "dead end" at Hyrule Castle, you will also need bombs.

Then try to walk around Hyrule Town and play some of the mini games at the market place, you will get some nice rewards for it.

I guess you also missed some additional items in the lost woods

How many heart pieces have you collected so far?

You need to stop using that guide, really It just stops you from experiencing more side-quests. Talk to every person in the game and explore Hyrule field.

Only then you'll see why this game is so great

Around the Network

This thread brings back memories. I remember my friend bought a real ocarina and would always practice the in-game stuff on it in the school bus, much to the displeasure of all the other kids.

I mean, that's just how great this game is.

Person 1: Does Valkyria Chronicles have trophies?
Person 2:  No.
Person 1: Forget it. I'm not buying it.
Person 2: Wait! It's amazing! Unique, charming, drop dead gorgeous... Hello?

Hello. I haven't played anything, just passed to check the thread.

Remember guys, I cannot enjoy the nostalgia... I am playing this game today in 2009 (what? eleven years after?) for the very first time to test if it really still is " the best game eva".

I stick to my point: the game is designed to get you lost because getting lost is supposed to be fun: that's the reason why of the sidequests. Thats the definition of sandbox games. And that is why there was a big red round spot in the GTA games you had to step on when you wanted to continue the story. But there is no such a thing in Zelda games and you can feel stuck. And even though there is a clear main quest here: save Hirule, I dont think is super clear what to do next in order to accomplish this main quest. But there is always one only way to do it.

In summary: By design there are infinite ways to get lost and only one way to save Hirule. I am not saying this is bad or good, is just the way I see it. And I may love it or hate it at the end: It is just too early to judge.

But I will do my best to finish this one. Somehow I enjoy and spend more time discussing about games and the industry than actually playing games. So why am I doing this? I am a different gamer now. One of the reasons is that I want to know more about gaming in general. And I feel that having played OoT gives me some other things to talk about with other gamers. That's it. Sometimes it feels like a historical or sociological experiment because it gives me ideas of how and why gaming has evolved and also some insight about how subjective the reviews can be.

I beat that game on January.. I think.

Ocarina of Time was the best Zelda game I ever played...and I got it free since my friend couldnt beat it :p

Around the Network

I haven't played it in a long time but I remember the game giving you a hint of where to go next. The map shows you where the next important task of dungeon is. I think it blinks or something. You shouldn't feel completely lost.

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Warrior of Light

Latest update:

Well, I just got to the part when Zelda escapes from the castle and throws at Link the Ocarina of time. I have some observations...

1) Yes, the game is designed to get you lost and gives you just enough hints to get you back on the main quest. Sometimes is frustrating because I wanna be fighting, not walking around. But is ok. Feels good to finally figure out what to do

2) The game is very hard. TP seems like a piece of cake compared to this. Not that is a bad or a good thing. Sometimes I want to enjoy the ride, but I agree with people who say (complain) that games are too easy now.

3) Shigeru Miyamoto is God

4) When I try to remember how was gaming back in 1998, it really blows my mind. The only game I can compare it with is Final Fantasy VIII for the psone, but they are different genres. Nothing like this. Graphics aside, it still is a pretty good game today.

5) Without the guide I would be nowhere. But is ok. It is not ruining the experience but saving it.

Well, I'm happy I gave this gem a second shot, because to be honest, I get bored a lot lately with my Wii, but not anymore!

First time I beat it was in 2000 when I was 10... I remember being stuck so many times because I didn't have a guide or anything but it was still so much fun! ^_^

I re-played it a few times afterward but now I really feel like playing it again because of you! :P

Oh and yes... OoT is harder than TP... I don't personally find it too hard, I was able to complete it without a guide and with almost all the side-quest items and hearts. But I'm an explorer type person and will check out everything and talk to everyone so I do usually find stuff. Also, I played even harder Zelda before (A Link to the Past). O_o

Anyway, good luck, don't forget to check out all the holes and weird looking walls, *hint* if you hit them with your sword, it does a different sound than normal walls, so try and put a bomb there! *hint* I hope you have fun! :3

Ahhh, you are finally getting to the good part of the game! (think of the first 3 dungeons as the tutorial).

That battle with the phantom coming out from the paintings was pretty cool.

Edited to  hide what I said :P