By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - That's it! I have decided to start and finish Ocarina of time!

Wii_R2_Hardcore made a statement that made me think that the game just maybe isn't for him. He said that he felt lost and bored with the game. One of the things that stands out about the game is it's non-linearity. It isn't really a I must beat this level in order to get to the next one kind of game. Several times in the game I felt lost, did one of the several side quests, and then figured out what I had to do in this way. OoT is just as much about exploring every nook and cranny of Hyrule as it is about progressing to the next dungeon and beating the next boss.

None of this is meant as a knock on the OP. I'm just explaining that OoT is the type of game that takes a lot of time and requires a lot of patience to fully enjoy.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

If you play elder scrolls games, then this is linear in comparison.

I think because I played it when I was young, I now feel so nostalgic whenever playing it that it makes the experience better. The game was just so powerful. Some of the darker things... the lost woods... and the eeriness of the spirit temple... shaped my view of fear in my early years... and now, going back to those places, I still feel that fear. By todays standards, and by my now 17 year old's point of view, it shouldn't be scary, but because of the memories I read into everything.

Oh and more thing. Now that ive finished Water Temple, roughly how far am i into the game 50% 60%?? do i have ALOT to go. so far it seems like its been very short if im already into the homerun :( i really dont want this game to finish

well, i haven't beaten it myself [stuck on the water temple lol], but i think you would have like 3 dungeons left.

come try out the computer game i've been working on for my high school senior project, titled sling ball. http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=76669&page=1

you can view a few screenshots from the game in my photo album here; http://www.vgchartz.com/photos/album.php?album=2312

yes, this is vonboy's alt account. i can't log into my original account, and i'm not sure if i will ever be able to.

Proud Member of the Official Yoshi Fan Club!.

Around the Network
amp316 said:

Wii_R2_Hardcore made a statement that made me think that the game just maybe isn't for him. He said that he felt lost and bored with the game. One of the things that stands out about the game is it's non-linearity. It isn't really a I must beat this level in order to get to the next one kind of game. Several times in the game I felt lost, did one of the several side quests, and then figured out what I had to do in this way. OoT is just as much about exploring every nook and cranny of Hyrule as it is about progressing to the next dungeon and beating the next boss.

None of this is meant as a knock on the OP. I'm just explaining that OoT is the type of game that takes a lot of time and requires a lot of patience to fully enjoy.

That's certainly true. Oot is just the type of game where you have to be comfortable with just exploring the game world. That's what miyamoto says is the "zelda experience" that he put into the original. The feeling of just finding a cave in the woods and wanting to explore it. It's almost a type of relaxing experience akin to games like Endless Ocean.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

mikescrap12 said:
Oh and more thing. Now that ive finished Water Temple, roughly how far am i into the game 50% 60%?? do i have ALOT to go. so far it seems like its been very short if im already into the homerun :( i really dont want this game to finish

If you look for all skulltulas, hearts and items, it will take you more time.

Castlevania Judgment FC:     1161 - 3389 - 1512

3DS Friend Code:   3480-2746-6289

Wii Friend Code: 4268-9719-1932-3069

Strange that all new OoT players feel like it's aged really bad, and that you need nostalgia to like it. I played OoT for the first time in, I think, 2004. OoT was already pretty damn old back then, but it never seemed like that to me. I had NO nostalgic feelings the first time I played the game.

But I quess we can thank TP for giving newer Zelda fans their own new OoT.

griffinA said:

That's certainly true. Oot is just the type of game where you have to be comfortable with just exploring the game world. That's what miyamoto says is the "zelda experience" that he put into the original. The feeling of just finding a cave in the woods and wanting to explore it. It's almost a type of relaxing experience akin to games like Endless Ocean.

Miyamoto-san said more like he wanted the player to get lost in the game(I think maybe to promote to explore), but made it in a way not get bored nor annoying...

And like Wii_R2_Hardcore said, trying to view a game while/and not compare it to "anything" else before/as close for us experience gamers is really something hard to do. Believe me, I tried. When I was playing TP I felt a tad dissapointed that it didn't surpass OOT in some ways. Soon that I relized that, I really set the bar too high for the game to beat others/older instead of itself. So now I try not to do that, but it's hard not to.

Hope I didn't baffled anyone for sounding like person talking nonesense.

And proud member of the Mega Mario Movement!

I finished OoT for the first time last weekend. I felt a bit sad about it cause I didn't want it to be over so soon. I started playing it after I finished TP and I found I huge difference in the gameplay. Combat is much faster in OoT than it is in TP.

The graphics of OoT look dated at first, but when you get used to them they look spectacular, more so if you think about how the game is 10 years old. The bosses are very varied and original. Having played Wind Waker and Twilight Princess before Ocarina of Time made me realize how both sequels borrowed most of the tools/themes from the 3d original. Just because of that, and the faster paced combat, I would place OoT over TP and WW. Maybe I think that way because I played the original zelda back in the day and appreciated the challenge.

And to the person asking how much longer the game is after the water temple: You still got 2 more dungeons to go. They're much better than the water temple and very original with great boss fights. And After those dungeons you still got gannon's fortress, which is IMO a bit short compared to regular dungeons, and the final battle :D