By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I am a liberal and I'm proud

SciFiBoy said:
urgh, i have better things to do, none of you even remotley dented my views, but im off, ive had enough of this thread for now

Have fun in fantasy land.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

Around the Network
highwaystar101 said:

I'm a bit sick of feeling like I'm always in the wrong for my political views. Well, I just want to say I am proud to be liberal.

I am an atheist, I am pro-choice, I think pre-marital sex is acceptable, I think war should be used only in extreme circumstances, I support gay marriage, I think all people from all races, creeds and backgrounds deserve equal rights, I support better gun control, I enjoy the occasional drink, I read the guardian, I like Obama, I think prostitution would benefit for being legalised, the same for some of the less harmful drugs, I support the freedom of speech, I like renewable energy and I think it should be supported... and I'm proud.

Just because I support these things doesn't mean I don't have any morals, or I don't have good intentions. I'm a generally nice guy, people always enjoy being around me and I am an extremely hard working student (some may say a nerd).

Just because some of my views are a little liberal/controversial doesn't mean I'm a backwards thinking person. I know sometimes I get a bit angry and heated, but usually something has to really annoy me first to set me off. I am sorry for when that happens.

You're all over the map mate, your ideal world would be complete chaos....

SciFiBoy said:
TheRealMafoo said:
SciFiBoy said:
Broncos724 said:

Doesn't it amount to the same thing though if a rich person is forced by a third party (gov't) to give some of his wealth to a poor person? The only difference is that the poor person isn't doing the stealing.

taxation is not stealing

Taxation to run government, no. Taxation for entitlements, yes.

That's why the Robin Hood line is not “Tax the rich and give to the poor”, it's “Steal from the rich and give to the poor”.

It's stealing, just government approved theft.

its not stealing, its taking a fair amount of money from the rich to help the poor, i dont define helping the less fortunate as theft, i feel sorry for anyone who does

Nobody defines helping the less fortunate as theft, so you don't have to feel sorry for anyone.  Voluntary charity, for instance, is clearly not theft.

Some people do, however, define theft as taking someone's money or property away from them, against their will.  Perhaps if you think about it carefully, you can see why some might consider taxation a form of theft.  (Which is not to say that I personally believe that all taxation is theft--I don't--but I don't think such a point of view is particularly misguided or unwarranted.)

Incidentally, maybe I misremember Robin Hood... but I think that Robin's crimes were thefts against the government's men, taking back the money taxed from the citizens.  Isn't that right?

SciFiBoy said:
Strategyking92 said:

No. A person does not necessarily have to have education and Healthcare to survive. They are not rights. They are not necessary for a person to live a normal life.

what a load of shite, so a normal life is one of illness and ignorance? people like you make me sick

I tend to believe that people become vulgar like this when they run out of intelligent things to say.

Maybe that's not true of you--maybe you have great, well thought out reasons for all of your beliefs.  But saying things like "people like you make me sick" isn't going to convince anyone of anything, except that maybe you're the kind of person who can't handle a grown-up discussion.

makingmusic476 said:

If I were a rich man, I'd be all about sharing some of my wealth to help out those around me.  However, I would be the one sharing my wealth.  I would be (and am) 100% against the government FORCING me to share my wealth.  If I were to give my money away, I would be doing it of my own accord.

"you give up some of your income"

No.  You are not "giv[ing] up" your income.  It is being taken away.  If you want to give it up, then by all means do so.

I would take your argument one step further and say that there are *three* ways in which the rich contribute in a free society, economically speaking.  They tend to do it via taxes (however low they may be), voluntary contributions (charity), and re-investment in the infrastructure (starting companies, investing large sums via stocks, venture capital for new startups, etc.).  But the "disenfranchised" don't seem to see it that way.  All they see is someone with a lot of money who doesn't pay as much into their own pocket as they would like.  Take away the surplus money of the rich, and the economy will suffer greatly over time.  This was explained by many of the founding fathers, but we seem to have forgotten what they taught us.

Around the Network
crumas2 said:
makingmusic476 said:

If I were a rich man, I'd be all about sharing some of my wealth to help out those around me.  However, I would be the one sharing my wealth.  I would be (and am) 100% against the government FORCING me to share my wealth.  If I were to give my money away, I would be doing it of my own accord.

"you give up some of your income"

No.  You are not "giv[ing] up" your income.  It is being taken away.  If you want to give it up, then by all means do so.

I would take your argument one step further and say that there are *three* ways in which the rich contribute in a free society, economically speaking.  They tend to do it via taxes (however low they may be), voluntary contributions (charity), and re-investment in the infrastructure (starting companies, investing large sums via stocks, venture capital for new startups, etc.).  But the "disenfranchised" don't seem to see it that way.  All they see is someone with a lot of money who doesn't pay as much into their own pocket as they would like.  Take away the surplus money of the rich, and the economy will suffer greatly over time.  This was explained by many of the founding fathers, but we seem to have forgotten what they taught us.

Quoted for truth, especially the last sentence.

This is what I am on about... How come people see liberal beliefs as everything wrong in the world, I'm not evil, liberals are not evil.

highwaystar101 said:
This is what I am on about... How come people see liberal beliefs as everything wrong in the world, I'm not evil, liberals are not evil.

The problem is not all of your beliefs fall into the realm of Liberal.  Maybe they fall in line with the liberal beliefs of you country, but Liberal platforms vary from country to country.

SciFiBoy said:
Strategyking92 said:

No. A person does not necessarily have to have education and Healthcare to survive. They are not rights. They are not necessary for a person to live a normal life.

what a load of shite, so a normal life is one of illness and ignorance? people like you make me sick

So without your "rights" you would be a disfigured, stupid person?

I won't think so. History proves you wrong in so many ways.

Humans have been around for about 100,000 years (?)

Well, I won't how they survived without their own healthcare and education.  All they needed to do was to know how to survive.

Do you have education in the UK, because I am detecting some ignorance.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Strategyking92 said:
SciFiBoy said:
Strategyking92 said:

So without your "rights" you would be a disfigured, stupid person?

I won't think so. History proves you wrong in so many ways.

Humans have been around for about 100,000 years (?)

Well, I won't how they survived without their own healthcare and education.  All they needed to do was to know how to survive.

Do you have education in the UK, because I am detecting some ignorance.

history? you mean when we died before 40 and live in poverty or work in workhouses or have slaves or we had dictators in the form of monarchs? history says we need to progress to live longer and happier lives, looking to history for a solution wont work here, we must look to the future, thats why they call the tax system i want PROGRESSIVE.

of course i have had an education, mine included PROPER history lessons, clearly yours did not, if you are dumb enough to think things were better when we had no rights and died before 40.

ignorance? hmm, i dont think so, i know that things were MUCH worse in the past, you choose to ignore that though.

P.S - i wasnt gonna post here again, but i had to respond to that highly offensive and stupid post.