By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I am a liberal and I'm proud

SciFiBoy said:
TheRealMafoo said:
SciFiBoy said:
Broncos724 said:

Doesn't it amount to the same thing though if a rich person is forced by a third party (gov't) to give some of his wealth to a poor person? The only difference is that the poor person isn't doing the stealing.

taxation is not stealing

Taxation to run government, no. Taxation for entitlements, yes.

That's why the Robin Hood line is not “Tax the rich and give to the poor”, it's “Steal from the rich and give to the poor”.

It's stealing, just government approved theft.

its not stealing, its taking a fair amount of money from the rich to help the poor, i dont define helping the less fortunate as theft, i feel sorry for anyone who does

So if someone poor robs you it's not stealing?

I mean... you need a better arugement then that.

Your arguements never seem that well thought out.  I think you need to spend some more time rexamining your political beleifs and try and figure out why you believe what you believe.

As it stands it seems you can only see one side of an issue.  Yours.

And when you are like that.  Liberal, Conservative whatever... you probably should feel bad about your  beliefs.

Around the Network

some of you must be aware that all youre doing is proving Highwaystar101's point...

highwaystar101 said:

I am an atheist, I am pro-choice, I think pre-marital sex is acceptable, I think war should be used only in extreme circumstances, I support gay marriage, I think all people from all races, creeds and backgrounds deserve equal rights, I support better gun control, I enjoy the occasional drink, I read the guardian, I like Obama, I think prostitution would benefit for being legalised, the same for some of the less harmful drugs, I support the freedom of speech, I like renewable energy and I think it should be supported... and I'm proud.

Quite the speech. Well here goes my views:

I believe in God, but not all things from the bible. I do not believe in evolution, but I do believe in natural selection (kinda the same thing, but a bit different). Pro choice all the way. Pre-marital sex = no problem. War should only be used for self defense (don't strike first, but get even if necessary). Gay marriage is fine although I'm a bit homophobic. Everyone is definately equal no matter what colour skin or nationality. Very strict gun control is best (would have prevented incidents like virginia tech). Prostitution should never be legalized. Do not legalize currently illegal drugs.

There we have it. I just put down my views where yours were.

Owner of 360

Future owner of a PS3 (when it drops to $300)

highwaystar101 said:
This is what I am on about... How come people see liberal beliefs as everything wrong in the world, I'm not evil, liberals are not evil.

I believe in evil.  I am not a liberal, and think that many "liberal beliefs" are very much in error.

But, for whatever it's worth, I don't think that being a liberal makes a person evil, and I take you at your word that you're not evil either.

Neptune said:
highwaystar101 said:

I am an atheist, I am pro-choice, I think pre-marital sex is acceptable, I think war should be used only in extreme circumstances, I support gay marriage, I think all people from all races, creeds and backgrounds deserve equal rights, I support better gun control, I enjoy the occasional drink, I read the guardian, I like Obama, I think prostitution would benefit for being legalised, the same for some of the less harmful drugs, I support the freedom of speech, I like renewable energy and I think it should be supported... and I'm proud.

I believe in God, but not all things from the bible. I do not believe in evolution, but I do believe in natural selection (kinda the same thing, but a bit different). Pro choice all the way. Pre-marital sex = no problem. War should only be used for self defense (don't strike first, but get even if necessary). Gay marriage is fine although I'm a bit homophobic. Everyone is definately equal no matter what colour skin or nationality. Very strict gun control is best (would have prevented incidents like virginia tech). Prostitution should never be legalized. Do not legalize currently illegal drugs.

Natural selection is a mechanism of evolution. Its part of evolution, you cannot have natural selection in animals without having evolution.

Around the Network
Rath said:
Neptune said:
highwaystar101 said:

Natural selection is a mechanism of evolution. Its part of evolution, you cannot have natural selection in animals without having evolution.

That's not really true.

While I do beleive in evolution....

there is no reason natural selection couldn't happen in a world without evolution. 

As there would never be a big enough gap to where one species evolves into a new one.

Like that one Dr. Who book where half the people have stars on their stomachs.  Well except the non starred ones wouldn't exist anymore.

There are considered distinct "breaks" based on major evolutionary changes.

Kasz216 said:

That's not really true.

there is no reason natural selection couldn't happen in a world without evolution. 

As there would never be a big enough gap to where one species evolves into a new one.

Like that one Dr. Who book where half the people have stars on their stomachs.  Well except the non starred ones wouldn't exist anymore.

So you're talking micro-evolution then? Even that idea is still a form of evolution.

To be honest though I never understood the idea of micro-evolution, as far as I can see macro-evolution is just repeated micro-evolutionary changes. They're one and the same, there is no point of distinction between one species and another just a long slow change.

Rath said:
Kasz216 said:

That's not really true.

So you're talking micro-evolution then? Even that idea is still a form of evolution.

To be honest though I never understood the idea of micro-evolution, as far as I can see macro-evolution is just repeated micro-evolutionary changes. They're one and the same, there is no point of distinction between one species and another just a long slow change.

I disagree on that.  Afterall we do make that point of distinction.  Usually based on a very large change.

For example the development of lungs.

A giraffe with a small neck would still be a giraffe.   A Giraffe with lungs we would clasify as something else.

Bacteria no matter how much it evolves is still considered bacteria... until it makes bigger shifts.

Think of a car.  You could change it's color, extend a bumper, add cupholders... whatever... it's still a car.

Add a raft on the bottom and a propller and now it's a boat.

Kasz216 said:
Rath said:
Kasz216 said:

That's not really true.

I disagree on that.  Afterall we do make that point of distinction.  Usually based on a very large change.

For example the development of lungs.

A giraffe with a small neck would still be a giraffe.   A Giraffe with lungs we would clasify as something else.

Bacteria no matter how much it evolves is still considered bacteria... until it makes bigger shifts.

Think of a car.  You could change it's color, extend a bumper, add cupholders... whatever... it's still a car.

Add a raft on the bottom and a propller and now it's a boat.

I was just going to say something like that... Doesn't that statement go against what you're trying to say?

Neptune said:
highwaystar101 said:

Correction, everyone is not equal but should be treated as such.

Isn't prostitution already legal some places? What's wrong with prostitution anyways?

Could the government make lots of tax money off packs of marijuana cigarretes? Probably.