By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unreal Tournament 3 the dethroner of Halo

ssj12 said:
wareagle372 said:
i'm not taking any words from a sony fan!

well lucky im a PC fan first then. (YAY for my $5000 PC at the end of the year with my Intel 45nm Penryn based processor, liquid cool system, and Nvidia 9800GTX all OCed!!!)

Yay for you mr. uber PC owner.

Uhm, BTW, Halo 3 comes out Sept. 25.  IGN has UT3 out for Nov 19 assuming the date holds true.  There will already be 2-3 million copies of Halo 3 sold by the time UT3 releases and Halo 3 will still sell well through the holidays with new hardware sales.  UT3 may be a graphically superior game, maybe even a better game overall, but nothing is going to kill Halo 3.  It is too late for that.  There are well over a million preorders already...

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.

Around the Network

I think it's rather humorous that some fanboys talked up how much the PC BioShock would steal sales from the 360 version and are now touting UT3 for PS3...

I hate to break it to you but UT3 is one of the hardcore games for PC FPS gamers. Up until this point, the franchise has been entirely on the PC and all leagues, tournaments, etc. are set up for that style of play. Don't expect ANY of these players to jump ship to the PS3.

UT3 will sell decently but don't expect any earth-shattering sales numbers, especially when you factor in Halo 3 and BioShock on the 360 side of things, two games that are better suited for the console (Halo being a console-first shooter and BioShock lacking multiplayer).

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Also call of duty 4 which comes out a week or so earlier then unreal :) or haze if your a ps3 owner which offers the 4 player co-op. One thing I forgot to mention was that Halo 3 should get a boost in November and December due to increased 360 sales which last year where pretty good. Again will be interesting to see how all these shooters fair this holiday season.

rocketpig said:
I think it's rather humorous that some fanboys talked up how much the PC BioShock would steal sales from the 360 version and are now touting UT3 for PS3...

I hate to break it to you but UT3 is one of the hardcore games for PC FPS gamers. Up until this point, the franchise has been entirely on the PC and all leagues, tournaments, etc. are set up for that style of play. Don't expect ANY of these players to jump ship to the PS3.

UT3 will sell decently but don't expect any earth-shattering sales numbers, especially when you factor in Halo 3 and BioShock on the 360 side of things, two games that are better suited for the console (Halo being a console-first shooter and BioShock lacking multiplayer).

Everyone I know who has a 360 and a PC has BioShock on PC and not their 360 (thats like 20 people). So your statement might not really hold true, its the same situation, if you have a PC able to handle it thats awesome if you dont get the 360 version. 

UT3 will sell push the PS3 like BioShock did the 360 and will do it long and hard like BioShock. 

As for the franchise: look up Unreal Championship and Unreal Championship 2. They are both on the Xbox and apart of the franchise. 

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

I know 10 PC Bioshock owners and 4 360 Bioshock owners...so I'd say PC's still got it strong.

I think some console gamers just don't understand the benefit of PC gaming, especially for games made best for PC like Unreal, Half Life, etc.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

Around the Network

I'm not knocking PC gaming at all... Did it for years and if I still had a gaming rig up and running, I would have purchased BioShock for PC.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't think UT3 will be huge for the PS3. It's too established on the PC format and is wildly popular with those players (gamers who happen to usually look down upon console FPS games).

It will sell because it's Epic and it will probably be a good game. But I expect to see PC sales rival PS3 sales much more than BioShock's PC sales were dwarfed by 360 sales. This will only be more exaggerated by the small PS3 userbase when compared to the 360.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

ssj12 said:
rocketpig said:

Everyone I know who has a 360 and a PC has BioShock on PC and not their 360 (thats like 20 people). So your statement might not really hold true, its the same situation, if you have a PC able to handle it thats awesome if you dont get the 360 version.

So by this mentallity everyone who has a PC and a PS3 might just -wait- for the PC version to come out? Probably.

Rocketpig is right though, this is mainly a PC franchise. It will be a very good seller for the PS3 but its not going to 'dethrone' jack sh*t, its main fanbase is in legions of PC fps junkies. 

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

rocketpig said:
I'm not knocking PC gaming at all... Did it for years and if I still had a gaming rig up and running, I would have purchased BioShock for PC.

Basically, what I'm saying is that I don't think UT3 will be huge for the PS3. It's too established on the PC format and is wildly popular with those players (gamers who happen to usually look down upon console FPS games).

It will sell because it's Epic and it will probably be a good game. But I expect to see PC sales rival PS3 sales much more than BioShock's PC sales were dwarfed by 360 sales. This will only be more exaggerated by the small PS3 userbase when compared to the 360.

QFT! I would have got Bioshock for my PC too, but its outdated. Its (gasp!) 2 years old! Built (on a budget) for Half Life 2 its showing its age. Now if  I had an extra 4-500$ for a decent video card....

I will probably get a PS3 before I build another PC though. Im way too spoiled now gaming on the couch vs computer chair.

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

friedtofu said:
ssj12 said:
rocketpig said:

So by this mentallity everyone who has a PC and a PS3 might just -wait- for the PC version to come out? Probably.

Rocketpig is right though, this is mainly a PC franchise. It will be a very good seller for the PS3 but its not going to 'dethrone' jack sh*t, its main fanbase is in legions of PC fps junkies.

I hope you guys realize that I was including the PC market as in Halo PC and Halo 2 PC and eventually Halo 3 PC.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Isnt the ps3 version of the game the best one though?

mM