By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unreal Tournament 3 the dethroner of Halo

Unreal Tournament 3 could bring in some PC hardcore users to the PS3. Users who could not afford a 2000$ upgrade to their PC. Sony should be releasing a VGA-Box and mandatory keyboard-mouse support for fps and rts games on the PS3 to encourage more PC users to shift to the PS3.

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

Around the Network

Well, Resistance sold 1.6 million so far, and is still going okay...personally I never played online shooters til Resistance, I only recently got a cable modem and a PS3, and all my PCs always sucked...and the online is free, as is the online for most of the games. So there we go, now that I've played Resistance, I think I'd like Unreal. I'd imagine that isn't too uncommon a story right now, and Resistance proves that there is at least a decent market for online shooters on the PS3. I personally am probably going to stick with the controller, having never used a keyboard and mouse for an FPS, but keyboard and mouse support may draw on the installed base of Unreal, in addition to the PS3 support of mods.

"I have not a single doubt in my mind that Halo 3 just lost it's greatness thanks to Epic Games!!!!"

How in the world does one game lose it's greatness due to another (completely different) game ??? I´d really like to know because that makes no sense at all.

Yes Unreal 3 looks great and will play great as well, still all the sony fans trying to prove just how bad Halo is... well I think it´s pathetic. Sorry just my oppinion. The only people on this site talking about Halo all the time are Sony fans. Unreal is great, so are many other shooters, to say PC gamers laugh about Halo just shows what kind of snobs manny of them are. Real PC gamer are happy that consoles also have a game with a big online following. If you don´t like Halo why try to prove so many games are better ???

I´ll enjoy UT3 when I get to play it, still I don´t get the Halo comparison, UT3 is muliplayer only and a different kind of multiplayer. Die Hard UT fans battle it out one one one, its all about reflexes, knowing the small maze like maps and knowing when and where to jump. Maybe this one will be different. Still IMO the UT searies has seen very little change. Yes I have played them all since the first, I even spent hours on end playing the first Unreal in multiplayer matches. It just hasn´t changed that much.

I´m not saying Halo is better, I´m saying that the comparison is weak at best. Just let Halo go, you don´t like it, fine. What would you guys say if all the time people would post threads about, the MGS4 killer, or why FF is so overhyped.... I don´t care for those games but I don´t need to bitch about it over and over again.

EDIT: BTW I just noticed that by saying "dethrone" you are admitting that Halo is the King... I would´t go so far but it seems you thik so. 

ssj12 said:

Yep, I have not a single doubt in my mind that Halo 3 just lost it's greatness thanks to Epic Games!!!!

Check out these developer interview videos:
Part 1: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24261.html
Part 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/player/24281.html

This same UT3 video from gametrailers has already been posted in the forums:

http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=6242

So, you're posting it again, but TEN DAYS LATER, and with a total flamebait headline that is obviously trying to instigate shit (behavior that could be considered that of either a fanboy or a troll), when you clearly saw the original thread since you posted in it twice.

Where are the mods on this one?  Shouldn't ckmlb lock this shit down for the same reasons as this Lair thread?

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Also, what exactly do you mean when you say Halo 3 will lose its greatness and be dethroned by UT3?

Will UT3 sell more units than Halo 3? 

Will it have a higher game review score on Metacritic than Halo 3?

ssj12, please give us your predictions so we can laugh at you later.

We don't provide the 'easy to program for' console that they [developers] want, because 'easy to program for' means that anybody will be able to take advantage of pretty much what the hardware can do, so the question is what do you do for the rest of the nine and half years? It's a learning process. - SCEI president Kaz Hirai

It's a virus where you buy it and you play it with your friends and they're like, "Oh my God that's so cool, I'm gonna go buy it." So you stop playing it after two months, but they buy it and they stop playing it after two months but they've showed it to someone else who then go out and buy it and so on. Everyone I know bought one and nobody turns it on. - Epic Games president Mike Capps

We have a real culture of thrift. The goal that I had in bringing a lot of the packaged goods folks into Activision about 10 years ago was to take all the fun out of making video games. - Activision CEO Bobby Kotick

Around the Network

You need to stop the "X is going to be the Y killer" claims. Both games are going to sell shitloads. Halo more than any other game this year, I guess.

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

It does look pretty nice, although I don't see it killing Halo in any meaning of the word. They're both FPS games, but the type is pretty different, and no single player mode (?) is going to hurt it.

We will soon see what happens as Halo is just weeks away with pre-orders alone "killing" unreal 3 not to mention the 360 should be more than double install base of the ps3. Even Epic has said time and time again that marketing played a big role in selling Gears of War yet besides the videos on gametrailers unreal hasn't gotten much notice. Even as I mentioned before in E3 it was cod4 that people talked about not unreal. Talking about sales unreal will not touch Halo or even CoD 4 is my prediction and in terms of which game is better it is a matter of opinion.

Funny neither of the first two Unreal Tournaments could do it, but now that it's on a Sony console, obviously Unreal must be a dethroner. Just like Killzone was a dethroner, just like Killzone 2 will be be a dethroner, just like Haze will be expected to follow suit as well.

Unfortunatley any time an FPS with more than five dollars put towards hype is slated for release it will always be anticipated as being a dethroner of Halo.

Sign the Resident_Evil_5_Petition for a Wii release or Dark_Samus is going to come get you.

Unreal Tournament 3 looks really good and I'm a little envious that it's not being released on the 360 this year but some people need to be realistic about it's sales potential on the PS3.  I think it could be a million seller on the PS3 but anyone pitting it toe to toe with Halo 3 is going to be disappointed.  I do hope it does well on the PS3 since the more PS3 consoles that are sold the more viable multi-platform big budget games become.