By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Unreal Tournament 3 the dethroner of Halo

How exactly does one dethrone another game?

Is it by popular opinion? Reviews?

Cause I don't think Unreal will beat Halo in popularity, or sales, or the number of multiplayer hours sunk into it. I'm sure it'll be prettier though, and the mods should be impressive.

Around the Network

ssj12: You have some rich rich parents.

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Dolla Dolla said:

Cause I don't think Unreal will beat Halo in popularity, or sales, or the number of multiplayer hours sunk into it. I'm sure it'll be prettier though, and the mods should be impressive.

Matters which realm of gaming your talking about, Halo has a horrible professional gamer fan base, because the controls rightly suck ass for the PC versions. Halo 3 to us is a joke basically. Unreal has a massive following between console and PC that dwarfs Halo in a shadow the size of the colossus (pun intended). Halo just isnt that great of a game, frankly its piss poor horrid when compared to Unreal, Counter Strike, Half-Life, Goldeneye 007 on the N64, Gears of War, Battlefield, and most Tom Clancy games. Hell I have more fun playing online blackjack or poker then playing Halo on the Xbox, Xbox 360, or PC.

Epic has the advantage because they boosted their console fanbase with Gears of War so its almost a curtain that Xbox fans will see that UT3 is on the PS3, supports mod, cross-platform player with PC, and supports mouse and keyboard will buy a PS3 for the game over a new PC like me that will be able to run it on the ultra settings.

Plus Unreal has always been on the same base as Halo has with it's reviews. This time around it has more then enough to top even BioShock's high as hell reviews. 

@fuzzmosis- Nope, I buy all my own stuff, I bought my PS3, I bought my 3 year old alienware laptop, I'm paying for my PC. It's called knowing how to use your skill set to your advantage, and piss of the firedog techs at the sametime, im banned from going into circuit city because I steal their business.  

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Depends on how good the single player is.

Come on gimmi an epic sp!!

Not sure what strong following your referring to for Unreal but it doesn't come close to halo or cod.

http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=Halo&console=&publisher=&sort=Total

http://vgchartz.com/worldtotals.php?name=call+of+duty&console=&publisher=&sort=Total

I know your trying to hype up unreal for good reason as it looks amazing and based on the pc versions I played has excellent gameplay but to thrash other fps to make it seem even better ruins your argument some.  Would you care to show where this strong following is as it sure doesn't show up in the sales numbers.  Not trying to bash your or anything but just curious if you actually had numbers to backup your claim or just your personal opinion about it.  Again I am sure unreal will do very well but I would assume most of the following comes from PC gamers so it has a chance to bring the ps3 sales down. Since this site is mainly about console sales I think is something to worry about as a PS3 owner.  On top of that it is also coming out for Xbox 360 which again may dimish sales for some as there are plenty of games to choose from this christmas those with both systems may hold out.  By the way I pesonally never bought a Halo game and wasn't buying part 3 until I read about the 4 player co-op which should be a ton of fun I think.  Just wish people stop thrashing other games when making their point as in the end it is all a matter of opion though it is nice to have sales numbers when comparing that aspect which is why I come to this site. 

Around the Network

Shrug, it's possible, although generally those who buy very expensive things and go to university at the same time have a wee bit of financial help. Hence my predisposition to saying that.

Also, how exactly did Circuit City identify you for the purpose of No Buying here?

See Ya George.

"He did not die - He passed Away"

At least following a comedians own jokes makes his death easier.

Saw these videos a couple days ago, definitely some cool stuff going on there but I seriously doubt UT3 will rise to the popularity of Halo 3. But still good vids.

To Each Man, Responsibility

One interesting item in that first video:
When he's explaining the portable nuke launcher, he say's everyone on the map will be able to "feel" this go off. A rumbling SIXAXIS in time for UR3?

The graphics didn't really impress me that much. That map has three colors. How hard can it be to make that look good?
Bloom and shadows? That's SO last year.

The grass, water, and sky effects in Halo 3 are more impressive.

My End of 2008 Hardware Predictions (console only):

Wii : 50 million

360: 28 million

PS3: 24 million

These predictions were made on January 3rd and won't be revised

LINK

ssj12, it would not suprise me if you were the one from sony who changed the wikipedia halo 3 page to make the game look like shit

Let me guess, UE3 will be the new halo killer like sony said about killzone?
Yea right, and about dissing halo, enough with this, or ill start bashing every single ps3 that is coming out, and thats not really hard with HS lair and warhawk doing either shitty poor or moderatlly good

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.
ssj12 said:
Dolla Dolla said:

Matters which realm of gaming your talking about, Halo has a horrible professional gamer fan base, because the controls rightly suck ass for the PC versions. Halo 3 to us is a joke basically. Unreal has a massive following between console and PC that dwarfs Halo in a shadow the size of the colossus (pun intended). Halo just isnt that great of a game, frankly its piss poor horrid when compared to Unreal, Counter Strike, Half-Life, Goldeneye 007 on the N64, Gears of War, Battlefield, and most Tom Clancy games. Hell I have more fun playing online blackjack or poker then playing Halo on the Xbox, Xbox 360, or PC.

Epic has the advantage because they boosted their console fanbase with Gears of War so its almost a curtain that Xbox fans will see that UT3 is on the PS3, supports mod, cross-platform player with PC, and supports mouse and keyboard will buy a PS3 for the game over a new PC like me that will be able to run it on the ultra settings.

Plus Unreal has always been on the same base as Halo has with it's reviews. This time around it has more then enough to top even BioShock's high as hell reviews.

@fuzzmosis- Nope, I buy all my own stuff, I bought my PS3, I bought my 3 year old alienware laptop, I'm paying for my PC. It's called knowing how to use your skill set to your advantage, and piss of the firedog techs at the sametime, im banned from going into circuit city because I steal their business.

you really think your awesome don't you. "halo 3 to us is a joke" jeez thats such a lame thing to say. I wanted this game till you said that, annoying 15 year olds on XBL are better than 25 year old elitists. UT3 better than halo for you and your "pro gamer fanbase" but other people will always like different games. TBH UT3 probably deserves better reviews than halo3 from what ive seen. But ill wait till i play them and see what I personally enjoy most.