By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy week one sales in Japan (it launches Nov 1, 2007)

doesn't matter if consoles are selling if no one is buying games.

You can find me on facebook as Markus Van Rijn, if you friend me just mention you're from VGchartz and who you are here.

Around the Network
NJ5 said:
shams said:
I consider anything under 300k a complete bomb, and really disappointing for the title.

I'm sure it will do a lot better (week#1) in the US & Europe.

I'll be pretty pi$$ed if WiiFit sells more than Galaxy week#1!!

(if Galaxy doesn't pull 1m in Japan this year... I'll stick by my theory that all consoles in Japan are DEAD).

If consoles were dead in Japan, why would Wii be selling more than the PS2 there, in terms of aligned launches?

Because that was launch.

If a good (NSMB) title sells through the roof for a handheld (when is the last time a CONSOLE game sold 5m units in Japan??), and an awesome (potentially GOTY) for a console struggles to sell 1m units (not that I think Galaxy will - but the signs are there :P) - what does that say?

By all these accounts, Mario Party DS - will sell 3m units THIS YEAR. 

I did think it was a little odd that even though the Wii continues to sell out (instantly) in the US & most of Europe - its been sitting on the shelves for months in Japan.

(now Ive just gone from being Mr Positive to Mr Negative... we'll see anyway. Sales could always jump significantly as Xmas hits - its always happened in the past).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

shams said:
NJ5 said:
shams said:
I consider anything under 300k a complete bomb, and really disappointing for the title.

I'm sure it will do a lot better (week#1) in the US & Europe.

I'll be pretty pi$$ed if WiiFit sells more than Galaxy week#1!!

(if Galaxy doesn't pull 1m in Japan this year... I'll stick by my theory that all consoles in Japan are DEAD).

If consoles were dead in Japan, why would Wii be selling more than the PS2 there, in terms of aligned launches?

Because that was launch.

If a good (NSMB) title sells through the roof for a handheld (when is the last time a CONSOLE game sold 5m units in Japan??), and an awesome (potentially GOTY) for a console struggles to sell 1m units (not that I think Galaxy will - but the signs are there :P) - what does that say?

By all these accounts, Mario Party DS - will sell 3m units THIS YEAR.

I did think it was a little odd that even though the Wii continues to sell out (instantly) in the US & most of Europe - its been sitting on the shelves for months in Japan.

(now Ive just gone from being Mr Positive to Mr Negative... we'll see anyway. Sales could always jump significantly as Xmas hits - its always happened in the past).

The market in Japan has completely changed.  The DS is just too dominating their.  The aging populous doesn't exactly help either.  The move into china and other asian countries may be a way to counteract sales losses in Japan.  But it's still too early to say.  Wii Fit hasn't hit yet and neither has the New years rush in Japan.  (Remember, Christmas isn't their main holiday)

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

You know what, I just read the Eurogamer review... frankly I don't care how it sells in Japan. I'm just happy this game exists, and it will be released on my birthday, and it will be MINE!

Currently playing: NSMB (Wii) 

Waiting for: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii), The Last Story (Wii), Golden Sun (DS), Portal 2 (Wii? or OSX), Metroid: Other M (Wii), 
... and of course Zelda (Wii) 

Preliminary data has Galaxy at ~285k give or take 25k

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

so 285 k?.....

With regard to Call of Duty 4 having an ultra short single player campaign, I guess it may well have been due to the size limitations of DVD on the XBox 360, one of various limitations multi-platform game designers will have to take into consideration-Mike B   

Proud supporter of all 3 console companys

Proud owner of 360wii and DS/psp              

Game trailers-Halo 3 only dissapointed the people who wanted to be dissapointed.

Bet with Harvey Birdman that Lost Odyssey will sell more then Blue dragon did.

i don't anyone predicted under 350k (sorry if i missed someone). if a game as fantastic as this (and bleeding cuteness from every orifice i might add) can't sell, what can? ...

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

ameratsu said:
i don't anyone predicted under 350k (sorry if i missed someone). if a game as fantastic as this (and bleeding cuteness from every orifice i might add) can't sell, what can? ...

I said 300K but that was because I thought there will be only 300K units.

Yeah I was wrong like the most on this forum.

The Wii that only sells this week around 60K is also something that surprised me I thought it would be around 150k.

I mean it is MARIO!

And who said the game had 700K pre orders?

If I search the internet I only found articles where they state that the Japanese retailers bought 700K units of SMG.

It sold what it sold. It's obvious what does sell in Japan in Wii Sports (since it's not a pack-in). Miyamoto and Iwata have said they don't want to take the safe route and just churn out another Wii Sports. Obviously what they are doing is Wii Fit. That's their next title that is meant to be a system seller.

Usually I am loathe to talk about "system sellers" because most games aren't. It seems to coincide with the number of geniuses that have suddenly spawned in the world when there used to be so few. What will be more telling will be the amount of bump system sales get in the next few weeks. Will there be a large one? Will there be correlation between SMG sales and system sales? Stay tuned.

One of my friends just IM'ed me and told me that apparently a Japanese website is officially saying it sold 250k first week?

Yikes... 

Top 3 favorite games: Super Mario Galaxy, The Sims 2 (PC), The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker