By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy week one sales in Japan (it launches Nov 1, 2007)

I'm surprised there hasn't been a recent thread on this yet but...

Galaxy launches in Japan this November 1.  That means Wii hardware sales will be 3.4 million (current) + 8 weeks (conservatively: a 50k average/week).

So when Galaxy launches in Japan, it will have at least a 3.8 million based to sell to.  Game Cube lifetime sales are just over 4.0 million, but when Super Mario Sunshine launched (in July 2002), it sold 339,000 copies or so.  That may not seem like alot, but it was 339k/1488k.  In other words, Sunshine sold to 22.7% of the Gamecube owners in Japan in one week.  Lifetime, the ratio stayed about the same - preventing Sunshine from selling 1.0 million copies in Japan.

Super Mario 64 - an N64 launch title - in June of 1996, sold 292k units - with a nearly 1:1 attach ratio to the N64 in Japan in 1996.

Eventually, Nintendo 64 sold about 5.3 million units in Japan, and Super Mario 64 ended up with nearly 2.0 million units sold - roughly a 40% attach rate lifetime.

If Galaxy reaches 20% of Wii owners in week one in Japan, it would sell 750,000+ units, and continue to sell strongly as the seasonal (winter) sales increases come into play.  I think the game will sell quite strongly long term in Japan - but I don't think the debut will be super strong.

My week one prediction: It reaches 15% of Wii owners - 575,000 units sold in week one.

What do you think?  I'll be ressurrecting this thread in November, so think it through! 

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

I predict 800k+ in first week.

Very hard to say... I don't think that I can give a good prediction on this one, I am not following sales trends long enough and it would only be my hope speaking anyway. But to say something, I think it tops MHF 2's opening week on the PSP.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

1.2m

Anythng under that will be lame.

It will depend on how many retailers decide to order and how many Nintendo can ship.

Around the Network

Yeah, yeah! I saw it on Gamefaqs and thought at first to open a thread, but thought people might not be interested in it ;) No idea how much it will sell, probably a lot, all I know is I can't wait to get it!

Though not a good sign for Zack & Wicky in Japan, that game will release a week before Mario Galaxy. Might be best to postpone it or to pull it somewhat more to an earlier date. And absolutely not a good sign for Opoona which is also planned on 1 November. I feel a Dewy deja vu coming up :(.

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

1.2m?? Holy crap. Mario is amazing, but that's a crazy number. Remember we're just talking Japan.

I predict 600k.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

I say ~1,000,000 on it's first week.

But Japan loves Mario as much as before? I mean... look at Twilight Princess.

600,000... I'm 2 conservative...

Why not add me on msn... ish_187@hotmail.co.uk

- - - > ¤ « ~ N i n t e n d o ~ » ¤ < - - -
Games purchased since December 30th 2006:
GBA:The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap
DS:Lunar Knights, Pokemon Diamond, The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass ,Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Hotel Dusk:Room 215, Mario vs DK 2: March of the Mini's and Picross DS
PS2: Devil May Cry 3:Dante's Awakening, Shadow of the Colosuss, Sega Mega Drive Collection, XIII , Sonic Mega Collection,Fifa 08 and Fifa 09.
GC:Fight Night Round 2
Wii VC:Super Mario 64 ,Lylat Wars ,Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest, Super Castlevania IV, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Streets of Rage, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man 2Street Fighter 2 Turbo: Hyper Fighting,Wave Race 64 and Lost Winds

Wii: Sonic and the Secret Rings, Godfather:Blackhand Edition, Red Steel, Tony Hawks Downhill Jam, Eledees, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Mario Strikers Charged Football,Metroid Prime 3: Corruption, Super Mario Galaxy,House of the Dead 2 and 3 Return, Wii Fit, No More Heroes and Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

X360: Spider Man
PS3:
Resistance: Fall of Man

fazz said:
I say ~1,000,000 on it's first week.

But Japan loves Mario as much as before? I mean... look at Twilight Princess.

Mario Party 8...