By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Galaxy week one sales in Japan (it launches Nov 1, 2007)

and the hardware bump is even worse than this 250k score... very depressing

Around the Network
redspear said:
Super Mario Galaxy 250K
15K boost in HW
Sales boost for Wii sports and Wii Play and MP8

Wow that's just SCARY!!!

redspear said:
Super Mario Galaxy 250K
15K boost in HW
Sales boost for Wii sports and Wii Play and MP8

Damn I knew I shouldn't have given into pressure. Damn you thesource...J/K. Seems I was kinda rigth though LOL

Wow, a lot of people got it wrong.

I see every single poster on the first page overestimated by at least 50%, including 4 mods. Hmmm.

Here are some predictions from me:

1) Second week sales will drop by more than 60% to below 100,000
2) This game is overstocked in Japan. Expect bigger stores to start discounting it.

PSN - hanafuda

I'm expecting it to move ~85,000 units this week.

Probably around 32,000 Wiis sold....

Looking back, even with a bigger opening of 339k, Super Mario Sunshine only moved about 20,000 Gamecubes in week one.

So, basically Galaxy moved 10,000 to 15,000 extra Wiis in week one.  Not surprising given -

a) The bigger Wii base (compared to GC).

b) Lower week one software sales

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Around the Network

Well my 700k expectation was just a tad over optimistic. I wonder how much of this is due to the death of consoles in Japan and how much is due to the apparent Japanese inability to handle 3D games due to motion sickness. I used to discount both ideas but I'm not so sure anymore.

The_vagabond7 said:
doesn't matter if consoles are selling if no one is buying games.

As much as Nintendo wants to sell games all year round, we won't know what the attach rate is for the Wii until after the holiday. It could be a very good holiday season for Nintendo, given that families play the Wii.

The urge to play is a terrible thing to waste.

I don't see any major explosion for Mario sadly. Regardless of great reviews and so forth.

My local Gamestop allowed me to pre-order it two days ahead of launch. When I arrived more people had come for the new EverQuest II expansion than they had for Galaxies!

This game will have lots of stamina, and sell well in the end. But it was launched in the two day window where 82 other games were being launched. So I think it got a bit drowned out. Of course this is at the loss for anyone who doesn't play it.

The game plays like a triumph.

"There are three types of lies : Lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli ( Made famous by Mark Twain )

PSN ID: DeviantPathways

Wii Number: 0081 3044 1559 2355