By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Takes a Cheap Shot at OnLive! (Are they AFRAID or JUSTIFIED)??!

BladeOfGod said:
can someone explain me what is OnLive?

its the future now B_E_L_I_V_E <---Typo on Purpose

Around the Network

The biggest problem with OnLive is network latencies along with internet speeds.

The reason why Reggie took a jab on it, is because of the people to who the service is targeted at, plays games that would need the technically most advanced infrastructure (or even more than it can offer today).
If OnLive catches wind, the first to be wiped out would be Steam. As long as Steam stays there, Nintendo has nothing to worry about.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

@Kowenicki: But you can on Steam. And that was the idea.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

BladeOfGod said:
can someone explain me what is OnLive?

Imagine playing on someone else's awesome computer using your crappy laptop with no graphics card. That's OnLive.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

kowenicki said:
kind of ironic as you cant play anything remotely crysis like in complexity on the wii either...

funny

Wii should buy ONlive to get better graphics

Repent or be destroyed

Around the Network

Nintendo is the one VG company I don't think would be effected by OnLive.

OnLive WOULD compete directly against (obviously) high-end PCs, 360 and PS3 by allowing you to play the same PC games on a low-end computer or direct to HDTV (with USB doggle) as those systems do and get them at rental prices (especially tempting for those 6 hour games).

Except for a game like CoDWaW virtually nothing on Wii would be on OnLive, they aren't likely to have motion controllers nor appeal to the expanded audience that Wii has captured. Obviously no Mario or Zelda either. The only effect this would have for Nintendo, is to draw sales away from their competitors and give them an even greater marketshare advantage.

However that assumes OnLive even works. The start up costs for that service would be immense (it needs thousands of computers/servers to handle all the processing power needed and mega bandwidth), so I expect they'll launch in one city or state at a time and it'll be years before it's available ww.

OnLive is a joke IMO. In 10 years - maybe.

But short term, I would never use it. It would cost me more in internet bandwidth than the cost of the full, original game :P

It also ignores the entire "input device" discussion. PC games - sure, but we have the web for those already.

But console games? You need dedicated hardware, it won't be *that* cheap - and you are stuck with all the same issues (esp. if playing on your PC).

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Is Darthdevidem practicing to become a tabloid journalist? That headline looks like something one would see on The Sun. :p

OT: OnLive is probably too ambitious for its own good anyway.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

WTF?!!

wait.. did nintendo just talk bout crysis? this coming from a company whose flagship console cant even run doom3.. hehe :)

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Crysis on Wii confirmed? ;)