By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Nintendo Takes a Cheap Shot at OnLive! (Are they AFRAID or JUSTIFIED)??!

Nintendo Takes a Cheap Shot at OnLive

Posted on 31. Mar, 2009 by admin in News & Articles

Speaking to the WSJ at GDC 2009, Reggie (Nintendo Of America President) had somewhat harsh words about the recently announced OnLive gaming service. Check out the quote below:

For a game like Scrabble, the nanoseconds it takes for all that data to travel sometimes thousands of miles isn’t noticeable. By for a state-of-the-art shooter game like “Crysis,” which relies on a hair-trigger response, you may as well be playing with dialup Internet connection, he said. “We’re not worried.”

Clearly Reggie doesn’t think the service will work for games that require many resources and he says that he is “not worried” about the service competing with Nintendo.

http://onlivetalk.com/2009/03/nintendo-takes-a-cheap-shot-at-onlive/

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Looks like Reggies is really not WORRIED AT ALL

Is this a wise move?

After all SONY/MS got where they are now ignoring their competitor nintendo's "moves"

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network

Why would they be worried?

R.I.P Mr Iwata :'(

Don`t you guys still not get it? Onlive is an april`s fool.

Well I saw an OnLive interview where they said they hadn't figured out how to get motion controls to work on their system presumably due to patent and technology issues.

So yeah, Reggie is probably right. DS in particular is completely immune to this because its portable, the games are not intense graphically, the games are cheap, and the games use a proprietary control scheme.

PSP and PS2 aren't really threatened either, but I think the HD Twins are exposed here to another potential disruption.

People are difficult to govern because they have too much knowledge.

When there are more laws, there are more criminals.

- Lao Tzu

Why would they be worried?

Around the Network

Reggie's entire comment was regarding Crysis? Hahaaha, awesome. He makes a great point which many users on this site have been pointing out.

Well, they shouldn't be worried cause it will fail obviously. You need a good internet connection, pay a yearly subscription(or monthly), etc

I wouldn't be worried either who really has a fast enough connection to make OnLive run like it should probably less then %10 of the US population to enjoy a Wii you don't even have to have a internet connection.

What the heck is Onlive?

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Onlive could be the future, but it'll require local hubs. Therefore, I expect it to start small and in areas with excellent broadband infrastructure. It'll grow only as internet connections improve, and it'll have to be based on early profitability to continually expand, or new entrants and work as a franchise rather than a single company.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.