By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - $350 PC that runs Fallout 3 better than PS3 & 360.

I came back the next day. teehee

Look linkz if you knew the way frybread works you would be challenging this thread too, because it is a direct recommendation to build this pc instead of a ps3/360. He has a lot of hate for the hd consoles especially ps3, which is why he put it under ps3 price. (even though after thorough debating, it's doubtful for how many this pc would actually cost 350)

I'm sure you would agree, that this is not a pc to recommend to anyone except the really, really cash strapped.

Take this post in another thread which cites a post about a thread that frybread made on amazon forums:

"Actually, he is a total douche, give him time. You should have seen him spend 6+ hours one day bumping every post in the pS3 forum with his name in it. And I am not exagerrating, 6+ hours of sitting in front of his PC bumping threads. Then there is the time he posted MGS 4 spoilers in the title of thread before the game was released. Then there was the time he created 10+ accounts to praise,... himself, and his spoiler posting. Don't forget he is probably the only person to ever be banned three+ times from the Amazon forums. Forums I remind you, that have no moderators."

http://www.amazon.com/tag/video%20games/forum/ref=cm_cd_dp_rt_tft_tp?_encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1T1DM93QU4XL1&cdThread=Tx3BC5J67CBY22E

That thread was about the battle between two systems which he doesn't own. That's what he does.

His new sig even links to this page a tech page recommending this a similar pc as an alternative. He simply took that pc, gave it a dirt cheap case and mobo and degraded the ram.<--- absolutely unbelievable.

I still have yet to check if frybread was indeed challenged or whether he just took inspiration from the one he links to.

Around the Network
theprof00 said:
I'm sure you would agree, that this is not a pc to recommend to anyone except the really, really cash strapped.

I agree. I wouldn't recommend this build to anyone, except for those that are seeking a general use-system and would like some very affordable gaming capabilities as a bonus.

What frybread did was take the TechReport Econobox and skimmed a few corners(HDD&DVD-ROM) and found some deals(mobo+CPU combo) to drop the price below a given threshold. The link in his sig doesn't mention this thread, but the original build from the article, which makes the statement about the link absolutely true. And anyone not on a such a tight budget can check out one of the pricier builds in that guide for their own ideas.

yeah I fixed that while you were replying.
I agree that a pricier build is almost always called for.

I have a 2400$ rig myself that I built about two years ago and plays everything. I need to upgrade a few parts though, like the ram and and possibly the processor. I have the 6420 core 2 duo.... I was thinking about moving to an i7 mobo.

mine is a 9800gts or gtx i forget. THe more expensive one.
Fanless processor HS
3 20cm or 20mm case fans, the large quiet ones.
a thermaltake case
wireless gamer keyboard and mouse by logitech with built in lcd
22 inch screen
3GB high quality ram
800watt power supply that regulates itself
SB audio card with front end drive
16 or 22x DVD writer
some 260$ mobo i forget the name atm not acer or abit, but the other four letter a one.

Ive always felt pc gaming was cheaper, despite hearing others say the opposite. As far as PCs go its all about working with what you have. You could build one from scratch. You could save say 200 bucks, sell a old pentium 4 (if you had one), and use the sum to build or buy a new core 2 duo or i7. If you're lucky and say your parents already bought a core 2 duo, quad or i7 and they gave you 500 bucks to buy a ps3 or a 360 you could use that dough to get a Radeon HD3870 X2, maybe an extra gig of ram and BAM! It all depends on your budget and most importantly YOUR IMAGINATION. P.S. In some places, third world countries inparticular, pc gaming is cheaper than console gaming. Seriously, the price you have to pay for a consoles in developing countries is just crazy.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Don't believe the hype subiya, pc gaming is definitely more expensive. Just on my upgrade from core 2 duo to the i7 is going to cost roughly the price of a ps3.

Around the Network

^^ Be patient, in a few months a new Intel Core 2 Eon Mega HT MMX Quadro Hexic 64 processor will be announced. And then the price of a core i7 will drop remarkably. If you already have a pc sell it, add your savings buy a pc with a core i7 and a good PSU and buy some killer card. Upgrading a PC is like chess, think before you move, predict every single outcome, weigh your options carefully. Im sure you can survive without a core i7 for several months, by then core i7 should be really cheap...it helps to sell old pcs when upgrading, helps keep costs down. Sell old rig + $200-$300 saving = good new rig.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

Unless you're heavily into video editing(and then it's no longer a gaming comparison) or don't plan on upgrading your CPU for years there's no reason to go with a core i7 now. If you already have a fairly new system with LGA775 you can upgrade the CPU to get very similar performance for much cheaper than buying a new mobo and CPU.

If you absolutely want to have the best or near-best every year than obviously it's going to be expensive.

Ok frybread. So you're "fryfat" on amazon? I know I said I was done posting in here, but wow, you truly have an axe to grind with the ps3 and 360. Just look at his ratchet and clank review or his blog. Geez.

It's pretty clear you only care about this PC build to the extent that it makes the ps3 look bad.

Demon's Souls Official Thread  | Currently playing: Left 4 Dead 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, Magicka

theprof00 said:
Don't believe the hype subiya, pc gaming is definitely more expensive. Just on my upgrade from core 2 duo to the i7 is going to cost roughly the price of a ps3.

Not in my experience. I need a PC for development work and programming. To make it capable of playing games would cost me £200 or so extra for a good graphics card and slight upgrades to the RAM and processor. Given that PC games are £10-15 cheaper than their console versions, I'd make that back in a couple of years. I also don't need to spend £600+ on an HDTV to play the games in any sort of decent resolution and can get a damn good monitor for well under half the price. (Yes, I know the HDTV would be there for other things, but then so is my PC unless the console can magically allow me to run Visual Studio and SQL Server on it.)

Mudface said:
theprof00 said:

Not in my experience. I need a PC for development work and programming. To make it capable of playing games would cost me £200 or so extra for a good graphics card and slight upgrades to the RAM and processor. Given that PC games are £10-15 cheaper than their console versions, I'd make that back in a couple of years. I also don't need to spend £600+ on an HDTV to play the games in any sort of decent resolution and can get a damn good monitor for well under half the price. (Yes, I know the HDTV would be there for other things, but then so is my PC unless the console can magically allow me to run Visual Studio and SQL Server on it.)

The most 90% of people here require from their computer is a P4 2.4GHZ PC with 1GB of ram. For internet, email etc I cannot see them needing much more than that.

Tease.