By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - $350 PC that runs Fallout 3 better than PS3 & 360.

The ram is kinda slow at 800mhz and the PSU isn't the greatest, I mean, as soon as you go SLI it won't hold up

the cpu is a pentium...seriously? don't get me wrong, apparently it overclocks up to 6ghz....but...a pentium? Aren't those....antiquated?

oh, and is that with tax?

otherwise, awesome deals!

Around the Network

and I was happy with my nvidia 6100. It feels like having a size contest at a bathroom stall and losing horribly :\

Squilliam said:
@SSJ http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814140095

This is a better card, its the same bus width but it has far more compute performance and it performs exceedingly well at the target resolution of 1280/768 for an HD TV which has a decent scaler built in. It could run Crysis on High for about the same $$$ and it can be added to any PC with a PCIx 16 slot spare.

I wont argue that, but I wanted to pull out the bare minimum to make Crysis run on "good" settings which medium looks DAMN GOOD. I know this 9400GT (8500GT) would only be able to run Crysis on low as my 8400GT was close but not enough to run Crysis on low.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

indodude said:
How the hell do you build a computer? =(

I suppose the proper term is assembling.  You put the parts together and install the OS.

Senlis said:
indodude said:
How the hell do you build a computer? =(

I suppose the proper term is assembling.  You put the parts together and install the OS.

And, it's also very easy to know what to put and where - things can't be put to wrong places, they just won't fit. Only the processor it more complicated but even it's rather easy and actually comes with a manual so there ought to be nothing to worry about.

People don't consider assembling a computer hard because it would actually be hard; they think it's hard because they don't know much about it. Seriously, when you look inside an existing computer and then learn what is what (there isn't much to learn by the way: motherboard, processor, RAM, graphics card, HDD, PSU...), it'll probably be rather easy to assemble one by yourself. I'd say a couple of cords or cables might take some time but in the end, they shouldn't really be too much. You can find pretty much everything in the motherboard's manual.

niksta2 said:
the cpu is a pentium...seriously? don't get me wrong, apparently it overclocks up to 6ghz....but...a pentium? Aren't those....antiquated?

It's really more like a low-end Core 2 processor despite its name.

Around the Network

After I built one the first time, it was my 2nd PC, the only two things still making me nervous are the possibility to bend some CPU pin, but luckily sockets have been easy for years, and, in some mobos, the excessive pressure needed to insert RAM modules, my last case had few screws with spacers for the mobo provided, so I recovered all I could from my first PC to be sure the mobo is correctly supported (and luckily my new Asus required less pressure than the old cheap ECS).
I always choose not too hot CPU's, so light aluminium coolers are enough and I don't have to worry about heavy copper ones.
My new one, with newer HDD and DVD, onboard graphics (AMD 790GX) and 45W Athlon64 X2 5050E runs more than 10°C cooler than the old AthlonXP 2200+ one, and it's more silent too, despite the bigger air flow, thanks to bigger, slower fans.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Zkuq: Good point. For anyone who doesn't want to build a PC because they don't know much about it, believe me it's *easy*. I've built harder Lego sets. There are more guides and youtube videos to help a complete newbie assemble a PC than I could ever link.

But I also think assembling a PC intimidates people because the parts are expensive.

I was helping my brother build his first PC yesterday, and he kept worrying that he was going to break the motherboard by snapping the heatsink in place. I remember feeling the same way. It's very hard to break a mobo, but a newbie doesn't know that!

PC + Wii owners unite.  Our last-gen dying platforms have access to nearly every 90+ rated game this gen.  Building a PC that visually outperforms PS360 is cheap and easy.    Oct 7th 2010 predictions (made Dec 17th '08)
PC: 10^9
Wii: 10^8

Building a PC is easy, trouble shooting is hard when something goes wrong and it becomes a hellish/complicated process.

Tease.

^^
In this case years ago I found a very easy first step that up until now always worked: trying to boot a recent Knoppix release helped me exclude HW failures a lot of times (so after I started Windows in safe mode, that's much less compfortable to work with, to remove and reinstall drivers and SW, but not having to work in safe mode more than the strict necessary) . It's also a quite safe step before installing whatever else Linux distro, if Knoppix works, you know drivers exist and the worst you have to do is to install them manually if it didn't happen automagically (I had to do it for my notebook with 7.10 Kubuntu, but already starting from one of the first kernel updates in Kubuntu 8.04 I had full automatic detection of my HW).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I used to be a real PC fan, but even then I would never have dared to compare a PC to a console at the same price. Build quality is much more important than performance. The case is terrible. A cheap motherboard will ALWAYS be a pain in the ass. I don't see fans or heaters, and you'll need some.

Use twice the price and get good parts, not cheap parts that will work like shit together and will die in less than 2 years.

Actually... You shouldn't even try.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts