By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GDC Rant: "The medium is not adolescent, you're ****ing adolescent"

arsenal009 said:
So it's either THAT time of the month, OR her boyfriend just cheated on her lol.

Way to prove her point, man. Way to prove her point.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

I don't agree with her point at all and I consider her very naive regarding the massive issues in the development of games. If games developers were given the handouts the film industry has over the years perhaps there would be more evolution. Comparing a interactive and non interactive medium is silly in my opinion.

arsenal009 said:
So it's either THAT time of the month, OR her boyfriend just cheated on her lol.

badgenome said:
arsenal009 said:

Maybe she'll like that game.

LOL thanks for the laugh!

slowmo said:
I don't agree with her point at all and I consider her very naive regarding the massive issues in the development of games. If games developers were given the handouts the film industry has over the years perhaps there would be more evolution. Comparing a interactive and non interactive medium is silly in my opinion.

Care to explain what "handouts" the film industry has gotten, or how it could possibly make any difference?

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network
Millennium said:
slowmo said:

Care to explain what "handouts" the film industry has gotten, or how it could possibly make any difference?

Some countries give tax breaks, funding, etc.  However it should be borne in mind that due to the potential expense of trying to make a film to break into the industry vs creating a game that this does make a certain amount of sense.  Also, in theory elements of additional backing are focused on film as Art vs entertainment.

Has it made any difference?  Probably allowed some talent to get started that wouldn't have done otherwise, probably wasted some money in other cases.  Tax breaks are more focused on getting big budget titles in your country so you can reap the rewards of the money injection into your country.  Again, its hard to see this benefiting games per se vs shooting a film on location somewhere.

I don't think the point makes any difference vs the points in the article - i.e. if developers were given 'handouts' would they make different games?  I guess you could consider handouts funding titles like Flower or the like, making it easier for the industry to take more risks.

In the end I think the article is right in some points but the whole picture is a lot more complex than something so black and white, particularly when commerce is the driving engine increasingly for almost all games today.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...

Millennium said:
slowmo said:

Massive tax breaks totaling billions upon untold billions of dollars? Grants from the NEA (i.e. the taxpayer) and the like to do all sorts of bizzarre, experimental (and commercially un-viable and mostly un-watchable), material? Direct film and television financing by the governments of Canada and France (to name just two)?

I don't think I even have to explain the 'make any difference' part as I'm sure you can probably figure that out on your own based on these few examples. (There are more, but I think I've made his point.)

I see a lot of truth in what she says.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

exindguy said:
Millennium said:
slowmo said:

Massive tax breaks totaling billions upon untold billions of dollars? Grants from the NEA (i.e. the taxpayer) and the like to do all sorts of bizzarre, experimental (and commercially un-viable and mostly un-watchable), material? Direct film and television financing by the governments of Canada and France (to name just two)?

I don't think I even have to explain the 'make any difference' part as I'm sure you can probably figure that out on your own based on these few examples. (There are more, but I think I've made his point.)

Many thanks!