By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GDC Rant: "The medium is not adolescent, you're ****ing adolescent"

Finally someone publicly tells the industry what I've been thinking for years:

This year's rant, "Burned by Friendly Fire: Game Critics Rant," turned the mic over to game journalists instead of developers. Heather Chaplin, author of Smartbomb offered tough words for the gaming industry. "I've been covering the games industry for eight years, mainly for mainstream outlets, and I often find myself acting as a translator," Chaplin said.

Chaplin wondered how it is that videogames remain so focused on violence and zombie gore. "The excuse is that the videogame industry is only thirty-five years old," said Chaplin. "But after thirty-five years rock & roll had Bob Dylan, the Beatles, and the Clash. After thirty-five years film had Fritz Lang, film noire, and was a few years away from Citizen Kane." Chaplin blamed the inability of the medium to move beyond male-centric power fantasies as a direct result of developer heterogeny and immaturity.

"It's not that the medium is in its adolescence, it's that you're a bunch of ****ing adolescents," she said. "It's even worse because you're technically supposed to be adults." Chaplin traced the paucity of more mature content in games to four basic ideas that frighten men the most: responsibility, introspection, intimacy, and intellectual discovery. She described game developers in terms of neoteny, an idea from developmental biology that describes adults of a species who have juvenile traits. This can be seen in mature Chihuahuas, which resemble infant and fetal wolves. Chaplin closed by challenging the audience, "What do you want to be, a Chihuahua or a wolf?"

From IGN: http://wii.ign.com/articles/967/967318p1.html

My thoughts exactly.  Not that every game needs to be deep.   We do like our popcorn summer movies and poptart tunes after all but for all those who keep claiming Videogames are 'art' or should be given more credence by the public at large then this holds true.

It's past time games grew up.  Stop pandering to mere adolesent male fantasies of violence and female objectification.  Like any media, a great story is one that emotionally moves the audience, that challenges their beliefs and inspires them to be better people.   How often does a video game even remotely try to do any of that?  How often has any succeeded?

Nintendo has given the industry the world; male, female, young, old.  It's thinking like this, creating a game that doesn't shy away from mature themes (and I don't mean MadWorld or GTA immature 'Mature' material) but instead embraces them and makes a title that grips the player emotionally and takes them on a ride of excitement and self-discovery, romance and risk, love and loss of ruin and rebirth.   A game that both men and women, young and old will all enjoy.  

When that day happens, video games will at long last have truly become 'art' and the mainstream and elitists will both embrace it lovingly.

Around the Network

There is not such thing as "gaming journalist". They're just a bunch of fanboys with a paycheck

Amen.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

All I can sya is... amen actually. Someone pro-claimed that Nintendo's list of million sellers is quite diverse. While true in a current perspective, comparing it to the list of movies currently rated at Metacritic for instance it does not hardly hold a candle in terms of diversity in genres, approach, etc.

The Doctor will see you now  Promoting Lesbianism -->

And the answer is...male-centric power fantasies!!!

* DING DING DING*

I wanna be a wolf that is hopped up on steroids with giant guns built into my body and be the wolf that all women drool over.

Nerds can dream cant they? Maybe video games are nerd fantasy machines?

Around the Network

"It's not that the medium is in its adolescence, it's that you're a bunch of ****ing adolescents."

That sounds very... well, adolescent.

In many ways I agree. But this is a little over the top, it's not like there are only games with male fantasies in mind made.

And splitting gamers by age only is very narrow minded. There has never been, and will never be, a game that appeals to everyone.

And for every great movie there is, there will be a ton of shitty movies. The problem in the game industry I think, is that there are too few great games, compared to the "bad" games, and too few of these great games are given the attention they deserve by the media, compared to the bad games.

What do you expect from a woman?

She makes some good points. It's always been in the back of my head that a lot of games these days are, as she puts it, "male-centric power fantasies" (eg running around and shooting people in FPS games, running empires in strategy games, beating people up in fighting games, etc), but I never really noticed how the blockbusters of the medium these days have almost exclusively been made up of these types of games. Of course, it doesn't help that the gaming media is so openly and vocally critical of games that step outside of such bounds, as evidenced by the remarkable amount of hate for the Wii on many gaming sites. Not that Nintendo's spotless when it comes to the trends Chaplain describes, but at least they're trying.

Super World Cup Fighter II: Championship 2010 Edition

I agree in some ways, but it´s no surprise that rant is coming from a woman...or have many male game journalists complained about this too?