By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GDC Rant: "The medium is not adolescent, you're ****ing adolescent"

That was a fun rant.

Plus, it prompted me to look up the word 'neoteny,'which lead to me reading about the theory that humans evolved to look like juvenile neanderthals so that they wouldn't club us over the head. I don't care if it's true or not, the idea that an ancestor of mine saved his skin by making puppy eyes at a hulking gorilla-man is effin' hilarious.

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
WereKitten said:
I would like to remind everyone interested in the subject of female game writers that we have had several in the past ( Roberta Williams wrote several adventure games - for Sierra, I think).
And recently Rhianna Pratchett penned some pretty excellent storytelling and dialogs for Heavenly Sword. Two women were the main characters and the whole script had undertones of castration of male power, so I guess she had some rage to vent in the same way as Chaplin :)

I'll probably end up playing Heavenly Sword just because I already had this impression of it. Now it makes me wonder about other things she's written.

Actually, that reminds me of an original enemy design in Half-Life that was supposed to provoke a homophobic response by giving the impression that it was sexually assaulting the player, so to speak.

She has two main problems, which is that she hates men and that she's completely wrong. Otherwise she'd have a good point.

Games need something to do and often action is the easiest solution. Many themes that work in movies would certainly not work very well in games.

Not that I'd like games always being violent...

dib8rman said:
Nothing wrong with being geeky or male but this rant is set to tunnel vision.

Perhaps, but so is the industry, so it works out in the end.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

Around the Network

derailing this thread a bit....you´re playing Wind Waker again, Khuutra?...do you think there´ll be a 'Wiimote' version?

MontanaHatchet said:
She has two main problems, which is that she hates men and that she's completely wrong. Otherwise she'd have a good point.

This is unfair to her and pigeonholing, even if she comes across like she has blinders on. There's no question that video game development is something of a boy's club right now.

JGarret said:
derailing this thread a bit....you´re playing Wind Waker again, Khuutra?...do you think there´ll be a 'Wiimote' version?

No, I'm not, I just really like the look on Link's face here.

And... I dunno! It would be pretty neat if there were.

@ Reasonable - Yeah you're right, that's the rut the industry is stuck in. And a purely 'artsy' game isn't likely to ever be a big hit.

But take movies for example, the biggest blockbusters inevitably may be action flicks but they are almost always action flicks with heart. Some romance, the hero grows emotionally/spiritually during the course of the action, so they at least have some depth even though it may not be the driving action.

There's no reason VGs couldn't embrace this as well. Image a Halo game that starts off as normal, but Master Chief gets a little cocky, makes a slight misjudgment and it results in utter, total defeat but not death to himself. He's shamed, dishonourably discharged and a broken man, now struggling to just stay alive amidst the horde invasion and not even sure it's worth the bother. Meets a female soldier who still believes in him, gets him to believe in himself (becomes love interest 'natch) and Master Chief arises anew and claims human victory from the jaws of total defeat and annilation. Now that would be emotionally satisfying, even for a woman to play (especially if they could play as a female MC) although the action might need to be taylored for a more casual player (in easy mode, relax).

Millennium said:
dib8rman said:
Nothing wrong with being geeky or male but this rant is set to tunnel vision.

Perhaps, but so is the industry, so it works out in the end.

Eggs can hatch chickens if hens keep them warm.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D