By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Who else doesn't give a hoot about VG Chartz game ratings?

coolestguyever said:

Examples:

Endless Ocean - 8.3  > Fallout 3 - 8.2

Valkyrie Chronicles - 9.4 > Bioshock - 9.3

Tales of Vesperia - 8.8 = Halo 3 - 8.8

Civilization Revolution - 8.7 = Uncharted - 8.7

God of War: Chains of Olympus - 7.9?

With the VGChart reviews, you really shouldn't care games from different systems (unless they are PS3/Xbox 360, IMHO).

Endless Ocean is great.  I don't like games like Fallout 3 - at least not on consoles.

I've never played VC.  Bioshock was not a good game, IMHO.  It was about how Ayn Rand was wrong - which is crazy because she was right. 

I've never played a Tales of game (including Tales of V).  However, I don't like Halo 3 at all.  It was a pretty good game by all accounts though, and it has a good score.

Uncharted looks fantasic.  However, Civilization is one of the best series of all time.  Of course, I won't play it; RTS on a HD console - no thank you.  Neither one have a bad score, so I don't see what your point is.

I have no idea on God of War because I don't play games like that.

Anyway, there is more to reviews than numbers.  Make sure to actually read them.  VGChartz reviews are much more informative then reviews from many other sites.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Around the Network
naznatips said:
Believe it or not, aside from brilliant atmosphere Bioshock was incredibly unoriginal. It was a downgrade of System Shock 2's gameplay mechanics.

^^This

Great game - but highly overrated by most.

To Each Man, Responsibility

The reviews are wrote very well and the reviewers do an excellent job at it. The only problem I have is the scoring method. "Value" always seems to drive down the score of a great game. They don't have to have a good replay value to be a AAA game.

I like how IGN scores there games. You got your Presentation, Graphics, Sound, Gameplay and Lasting Appeal, it covers everthing, I'm not saying VG Chartz should copy them, but I'm just saying I like how they score there games.

VG Chartz has just three categories to rate a game, I just think we need more so the scoring is more fair, like adding Graphics and Sound would be nice. I know that's all included in Presentation, but I think it should be seperate.

(Again the reviewer's do an excellent job at reviewing a game, and I'd never be able to be as good as them at reviewing, but it's just the scoring that bothers me.)

Gilgamesh said:

The reviews are wrote very well and the reviewers do an excellent job at it. The only problem I have is the scoring method. "Value" always seems to drive down the score of a great game. They don't have to have a good replay value to be a AAA game.

I like how IGN scores there games. You got your Presentation, Graphics, Sound, Gameplay and Lasting Appeal, it covers everthing, I'm not saying VG Chartz should copy them, but I'm just saying I like how they score there games.

VG Chartz has just three categories to rate a game, I just think we need more so the scoring is more fair, like adding Graphics and Sound would be nice. I know that's all included in Presentation, but I think it should be seperate.

(Again the reviewer's do an excellent job at reviewing a game, and I'd never be able to be as good as them at reviewing, but it's just the scoring that bothers me.)

Value isn't just replay value though, it's also the overall experience or bang for buck.  If a game doesn't have replayability it should definitely have a long story and be a great overall experience to be "AAA" (whatever that means) wouldn't you say?

To Each Man, Responsibility

I don't care about the ratings, but not for the reasons that you listed.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network

I'm not going to criticize or compaign VGC's review scoring. It gives a quick overall impression of what that one review thought of the game. The devil is in the details and so far, of those I've read, the reviews are all thorough and fair in their assessment.

Which is more than I can say of even some IGN reviews, let alone other review sites.

No one will ever find a review site or reviewer that they agree with 100% of the time. But as long as the reviews are impartial and informative, they are useful and belong here.

I just wish they were reviewing new or upcoming releases (as well or) instead of old games.

Sqrl said:
Gilgamesh said:

Value isn't just replay value though, it's also the overall experience or bang for buck.  If a game doesn't have replayability it should definitely have a long story and be a great overall experience to be "AAA" (whatever that means) wouldn't you say?

I suppose your right, but don't you think there should be more categories to score a game with, three just seems very iffy, and if one of the three is very low then it's going to drive the score down by quite a bit because it's only three categories, wouldn't it be better to have more like having Graphics annd Sound seperate? (Like I said before I know it's all included in Presentation but it'd be nice to see it seperate because those are one of the main categories I look at, sound and graphics are very important to me in a game, especially sound)

It's just that a game like ICO which everyone that plays it considers it a masterpiece, and I'm sure it doesn't have a very good replay value, but a 6.5, I'm not saying Torillian is wrong for putting that, it's just if there were more categories it might of brought it to a more reasonable score (anything over 9 for sure).

I have been thinking tha same than coolestguy. I feel the same way.

It isnt just 1 opinion. I would like to think than all the vgcharz staff (or more people, not just the writer) have to read the review to aprove it.

I dont feel than fallout 3 deserves 8.2 for example

End of 2011 (made 02/01/11) 
Wii: 99.453 m
Xbox 360: 67.837 m 
Ps 3: 60.726 m

Best Games/Serie of the Generation

BengaBenga said:
Strategyking92 said:

Well let's just think of it this way: If a forum poster brings this up now (me), think about how much worse it could be in the future when VGChartz reviews are looked upon more. Even (for a desperate lack of a better word) credible.

Just saying it could come back to bite ya in the future

That could well be. But people that moan about reviews simply because they disagree, like coolestguy, simply don't understand what a review should be about.

Reviews are a (hopefully well funded and I think VGC does that very well) opinion with a score attached to it. Some people think their opinion about a game should be shared by everyone, especially by press, but this is obviously nonsense.

Machina's Fallout review is often cited as a bad review, but it isn't. He has issues with the game and, most importantly, he wrote down what those issues were. If you don't agree that's fine,but I'm sure there are people that like the fact that a reviewer notes these flaws.

Unfortunately there will always be people that like to bitch about anyting, but I tend to think most people like our reviews, at least as a feature of the site, and as VGC continues to grow people will have to accept that they're there.

I do agree that we should respect the reviews, and I for one like the reviews posted. However I would recommend more appreciation to those games that exceed the high levels of hype and expectations, games such as Killzone 2, Metal Gear Solid 4, Gears of war 2 etc. Review score on this site is improving on a consistent basis.

Shura said:
I have been thinking tha same than coolestguy. I feel the same way.

It isnt just 1 opinion. I would like to think than all the vgcharz staff (or more people, not just the writer) have to read the review to aprove it.

I dont feel than fallout 3 deserves 8.2 for example

that is what happens, in fact each review gets edited multiple times