By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Who else doesn't give a hoot about VG Chartz game ratings?

Every gaming website has skewed scores if you look at it that way. You cant say "OMG BIOSHOCK DID AS WELL AS HIGH VELOCITY BOWLING!" Its much more than that. Its about value, pure fun, etc. If High Velocity Bowling is $10 and a hell of a lot of fun for that price and Bioshock is $60 with glitches and not exactly worth it, I would rate HVB higher than Bioshock.

NOTE: That was just a scenario to prove a point. HVB isnt $10 and Bioshock isnt all 'glitchy'

Brian ZuckerGeneral PR Manager, VGChartzbzucker@vgchartz.com

Digg VGChartz!

Follow VGChartz on Twitter!

Fan VGChartz on Facebook!

Around the Network

*cough cough*

Digg VGChartz!

I think the problem the OP has with the review system would be resolved if the precision of the scale was only integers. That way, he wouldn't claim this site pretends that Endless Ocean is better than Fallout because of only 1%.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

KylieDog said:
VG Chart reviews are an inconsistent mess. Harsh one minute then very slack the next. Clearly some bias among the staff who clearly go easy on their fav console/genre/series. Likewise some reviewers who dislike certain series/genres are overly harsh on them. Some games have glaring technical issues that don't even get mentioned, and it isn't because the issues were easy to miss, some are in your face.

If cannot review without personal bias influencing then shouldn't be reviewing.

Until they become more consistant in standards then no I "Don't give a hoot". I don't expect this though most review sources are inconsistant, the big sites especially, but then they have many things influencing the reviews.

My mag has a great system, every 'main' review the mag does is reviewed by 3 people, each giving a score and the final score being an average. So even if one person was easy on a game and one harsh it balances out betweent he two, plus a 3rd to balance more.

That's great. No one "gives a hoot" about your mag. This is VGChartz. If you don't like it, get the hell off the site. I'm tired of your attitude, and I'm tired of you trolling every opinion different than yours as if yours is gospel and everyone else is wrong.

Put simply, if you don't like them, don't read them.

Digg VGChartz!

Around the Network

I take all game reviews with a pinch of salt. It is just someone's opinion. So VGChartz rated some differently to the status quo as indicated on the metacritc ratings.

I do not trust game reviews period. I have played some 90%+ average review score games and they totally sucked in my opinion. Virtua Fighter 5 and GTA IV both got 90%+ on metacritic and they were good games in my opinion but not AAA status. RE5 and Halo Wars, I played the demos - not impressed at all, they both got inflated review scores from reviewers.

VGChartz does its best to give fair balanced reviews on games. I however question some of the reviews on game review sites. Sometimes review score is contradictory to the review write up on the game.

Kylie, he's probably not just talking about your talking in the review sections.

And I want to clarify: even though reviews do go through content edits by our content editors, and they do have final say about what goes up and what doesn't, the ultimate question comes down to whether or not a reviewer justifies his score. Content editors don't enforce their own opinions about a game.

There isn't a larger consensus, and a reviewer (almost entirely) still expresses their own opinion about a game.

While I do enjoy most of the reviews, The GOW review turned me off completely, come on, it was reviewed by someone who hated the series to begin with and gave it a low score accordingly.

While i do think some are giving the reviews a bad rap, we must remember that it's a new and very promising feature to the site. I expect it to get better as times go by, and once in while we might get a stinker. It happens everywhere.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
KylieDog said:
If cannot review without personal bias influencing then shouldn't be reviewing.

Until they become more consistant in standards then no I "Don't give a hoot". I don't expect this though most review sources are inconsistant, the big sites especially, but then they have many things influencing the reviews.

How far is it reasonable to take this logic, though? Once you really get into the criticism portion of a review, you get away from things that can be objectively measured, and expecting that out of reviews is unrealistic.

KylieDog said:
naznatips said:

That's great. No one "gives a hoot" about your mag. This is VGChartz. If you don't like it, get the hell off the site. I'm tired of your attitude, and I'm tired of you trolling every opinion different than yours as if yours is gospel and everyone else is wrong.

Sorry but how do I troll different opinions to mine?   I state my own opinions and why I disagree with some others, that isn't trolling.

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=3039 - House of the Dead Overkill Review.

"My main gripes are the framerate drops, some shots from weapons just not feeling like they hit (no reaction from enemy...on bosses especially) and the calibration system is terrible compared to 2+3 Return.

I cannot aim at the last inch at the bottom of my screen no matter what, and I need sit a certain distance or the 'void' at the bottom gets even bigger.

I wouldn't have scored presentation so high with these issues."

----

"I never said the game was terrible, I just think the negative points of the game do not merit a score this high."

----

http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=3109 - Umbrella Chronicles Review.

"RE:UC > HotD: Overkill.

Score is too low. Especially with HotDs technical issues.

Your hand shaking and messing up your aim is not a design flaw either. It just means you aren't good at aiming.

Considering UC is by the far the longest rail shooter ever created the value is far too low. It has plenty of replay value with hidden weapons to unlock, upgrading weapons, scoring higher ranks, finding hidden files, multiple paths and so on which all add to it.

I also fail to see how crosshairs in co-op get mixed up when they are both a unique colour."

etc etc,

That is trolling?  No it isn't, it is giving my own opinion.  I disgree with people a lot, I argue my opinion quite strongly.  That isn't trolling though.

A crime to disagree?

Apparently so. 

On the topic I think they have alot of refining to do, but it's still early.