By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which was better: Nintendo 64 or Playstation?

PS1 due to MGS, i finished the damn game 39 times

Initiating social expirement #928719281

Around the Network

for me it's N64. its a very dividing question and N64 is 4 people ahead in the poll

n64 easily had the more enjoyable games at the time

some examples:

GoldenEye
Perfect Dark
Zelda OOT
Turok
Ken Griffy Jr Baseball (better then any EA Sports baseball game)

I think sega saturn was waaay cooler.. hey im a 2D junkie.. wht can i say!.. but personally i enjoyed the ps2 a lot more.. prolly coz i didnt have to shell $80 for a N64 cart :)

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

owner of : atari 2600, commodore 64, NES,gameboy,atari lynx, genesis, saturn,neogeo,DC,PS2,GC,X360, Wii

5 THINGS I'd like to see before i knock out:

a. a AAA 3D sonic title

b. a nintendo developed game that has a "M rating"

c. redesgined PS controller

d. SEGA back in the console business

e. M$ out of the OS business

Graphics: N64 had a better 3D engine and memory expansion, PS1 only was slightly better in 2D (although, not near the Saturn)
Cutscenes: PS1 because it had the FMVs
Controller: N64 had an awesome controller, PS1 at first didn't bring anything new, then the Dual-Analog came, and then the Dualshock, my favorite because it merged the SNES layout (best ever) and N64 analog-rumble in one controller.
Sound: PS1 hands down, better chip and more formats, also more space for CD-quality sound.
Storage: Obviously PS1, low space cartridges vs CDs.
Delay: Obviously N64, almost electronic speed vs CD-reading speed.

Games: Let me see:

N64: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (best of the system IMO), Super Mario 64, Goldeneye 007, Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros, Pokemon Stadium, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, the Mario Parties, Paper Mario, Superman 64 (just kidding jejeje)...

PS1: Final Fantasy VIII-VII-IX!!!, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Megaman 8-X4-X5-X6-Legends I-II, Chrono Cross, the Crashes and the Spyros, Gran Turismo, Wipeout, Suikoden, the Breath of Fire's, Dragon Quest VII, Star Ocean 2, Tales of Destiny-Eternia, Resident Evil 1-2-3, Tenchu, the fighting games that weren't on the Saturn (like the Tekken's), Final Fantasy Tactics, Tony Hawk series, Legend of Mana, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Persona 1-2...

I have to go with PS1, but i still love both consoles...

Around the Network

N64 by far for me. I had a PS as well, but the only games I ever liked playing on it were Crash Bandicoot and Spyro.

N64 has soooooo many amazing games in my mind. It's home to most of my favorite games of all time. .

The Anarchyz said:
Graphics: N64 had a better 3D engine and memory expansion, PS1 only was slightly better in 2D (although, not near the Saturn)
Controller: N64 had an awesome controller, PS1 at first didn't bring anything new, then the Dual-Analog came, and then the Dualshock, my favorite because it merged the SNES layout (best ever) and N64 analog-rumble in one controller.
Sound: PS1 hands down, better chip and more formats, also more space for CD-quality sound.

N64: The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (best of the system IMO), Super Mario 64, Goldeneye 007, Mario Kart 64, Super Smash Bros, Pokemon Stadium, Majora's Mask, Perfect Dark, the Mario Parties, Paper Mario, Superman 64 (just kidding jejeje)...

PS1: Final Fantasy VIII-VII-IX!!!, Xenogears, Parasite Eve, Megaman 8-X4-X5-X6-Legends I-II, Chrono Cross, the Crashes and the Spyros, Gran Turismo, Wipeout, Suikoden, the Breath of Fire's, Dragon Quest VII, Star Ocean 2, Tales of Destiny-Eternia, Resident Evil 1-2-3, Tenchu, the fighting games that weren't on the Saturn (like the Tekken's), Final Fantasy Tactics, Tony Hawk series, Legend of Mana, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill, Persona 1-2...

forgot about Crash, Twisted Metal, Spyro, Tomb raider, Medal of Honor and Driver ;)

PS1 had some great stuff but for games with staying power I'd have to go with N64, plus which other old console can you break out with 4 controllers and have people jump at the chance to play.

I guess if it was talking about each systems prime PS1 but with things like SSB, MK64, Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, (don't hate me for this as I still play it) Vigilante 8 2nd Offense, N64 just wins in this day and age I guess :P (now if only Wii would provide more N64 games >:(

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

TheThunder said:
The Anarchyz said:

forgot about Crash, Twisted Metal, Spyro, Tomb raider, Medal of Honor and Driver ;)

I mentioned "the Crashes and the Spyros", as for Tomb Raider, i always play them on PC, even the 1st one i played it on DOS...

But you're right, i forgot Twisted Metal, Medal of Honor and Driver.

N64 without a doubt. It had the best games of its gen, four controller ports and the best controller.
Downsides were the cost of the games and the lack of mediocre games that had been cheap and enjoyable.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.