By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which was better: Nintendo 64 or Playstation?

I prefered the N64 but both systems were truely groundbreaking. The N64 had by far the greatest graphics for any console ever seen up to that time and the PS was the first to have the over the top cutscenes. This was a good time for gaming.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network
Pyro as Bill said:
N64 easily.

Awesome new controller and so many good single and 4 player games.

Did PS1 have anything to match Goldeneye or PD?

Crash whatshisname v Mario 64, no contest.

OoT.

Legend of Dragoon vs... oh, sorry, win by default

Final Fantasy VII vs.. win by default

Xenogears vs... default

Gran Turismo 1/2 vs.. default

;)

ThisBoleroOfFire said:
The one with the greatest game: Ocarina of Time.

This

Check out my pyro tf2 vid :)

Bet With routsounmanman: By the end of Q1 2008 Capcom WONT have announced a RE5 Wii Edition OR a new RE (classic gameplay) for the Wii (WON)

Definatly PS1. Personally I think it was the best console ever made

N64 for me because of Zelda tbh.

Around the Network

N64 had sum masterpieces but everything came out on ps. N64 good games had big gaps between them

Ynwa.

PS1 easily, so many games

I'm going to

[Please wait loading ...]

have to say

that after playing

some of the

best games from

both systems recently

the playstation is

practically unplayable

because of how

bad the loading

times were.

Basically, from what I have seen many of the best N64 games play well enough that they could be released for the Nintendo DS without any modificiations while receiving decent review scores and sales; in contrast, with the exception of a handful of games for the Playstation, even the best Playstation games would need major rework to be equal to the worst Nintendo DS games on the market. The Playstation did have more games, but I think that if you played them again you'd wonder how you ever played those games in the first place.

Edit: Its not just the load times that you will be shocked by with the Playstation, I got the feeling while playing a lot of games that they were all designed to be super-cool the second they were released ... The "Amazing" cutscenes, plots, sound-tracks and pretty much everything about the game will give you this oddly embarassed feeling like going through a picture album of how you dressed when you were 13.

It's close but Id say N64 because of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. These games defined what 3D gaming should do.

"Pier was a chef, a gifted and respected chef who made millions selling his dishes to the residents of New York City and Boston, he even had a famous jingle playing in those cities that everyone knew by heart. He also had a restaurant in Los Angeles, but not expecting LA to have such a massive population he only used his name on that restaurant and left it to his least capable and cheapest chefs. While his New York restaurant sold kobe beef for $100 and his Boston restaurant sold lobster for $50, his LA restaurant sold cheap hotdogs for $30. Initially these hot dogs sold fairly well because residents of los angeles were starving for good food and hoped that the famous name would denote a high quality, but most were disappointed with what they ate. Seeing the success of his cheap hot dogs in LA, Pier thought "why bother giving Los Angeles quality meats when I can oversell them on cheap hotdogs forever, and since I don't care about the product anyways, why bother advertising them? So Pier continued to only sell cheap hotdogs in LA and was surprised to see that they no longer sold. Pier's conclusion? Residents of Los Angeles don't like food."

"The so-called "hardcore" gamer is a marketing brainwashed, innovation shunting, self-righteous idiot who pays videogame makers far too much money than what is delivered."

PS1 for me, as it had more games that I enjoyed. I didn't purchase a n64 until OoT launched, but even after that I didn't play it nearly as often as my PS1.