By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which was better: Nintendo 64 or Playstation?

N64

....just for the fun of watching my 4yr old son grappling with the huge controller trying to play Super Mario 64!!!

Around the Network

@bouzane

What did you expect? going from 2D to 3D full HD, just like that? Come on, use your brain. Those were the first steps taken in the 3D world. And I thougt it looked wonderfull at the fime, games like Oot and Super mario 64 for insteance. The freedom was enormous

@madmaniac

I'll put it another way. Being unable to fully control a character and camera simultaneously due to the lack of a second joystick almost always lead to unintuitive and sometimes broken control schemes (I remember the times I fought with SM64's camera). The N64 didn't take the first steps into 3D gaming, In fact, in '96 it was rather late to the party. PC gaming's early steps into 3D also had control problems (just try playing Doom or Wolfenstein 3D and you will appreciate mouse-aiming). The problem with the 5th generation consoles move into 3D was that PC gaming had already pioneered 3D gaming. By the time the N64 was released there were games like Quake which had mouse-aiming and the ability to customize the controls to match modern shooters. Then there was the ability to play online. Everybody ranted about Goldeneye's MP but I can't exactly get my friends to cross the province/country to have a match yet I can always have a match of Counter Strike with them.

ps1 all the way

What the fuck was with the n64's controller?

Around the Network

While I think the PS1 had a better overall library. Having played both recently I would say that the N64's graphics held up better. They were both great amazing consoles though. I kinda wish we still lived in a 2 console world actually. Where normal people could afford both. Oh well.

Back in the day I was a Saturn guy. Just played Area 51 on it this morning.

XBL: WiiVault Wii: PM me  PSN: WiiVault

PC: AMD Athlon II Quadcore 635 (OC to 4.0ghz) , ATI Radeon 5770 1GB (x2)

MacBook Pro C2D 2.8ghz, 9600m GT 512 iMac: C2D 2.0, X2600XT 256

PS1 had more games that I liked, but 64 had some classics. I still say ps1.

i always liked the n64 more. ps i never liked because of long load times, and the graphics to me were unimpressive. the system had excellent games, but i think the n64 was the better console. besides, i have never felt comfortable with the playstation controller

Saturn!