By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Wii owners, it's time to acknowledge third party failures

Khuutra said:
BMaker11 said:
Khuutra said:
BMaker11 said:

In an ideal world, that would be true, but you still don't see it happen. Factor 5 put out shitty Lair, yet they've got publishers giving them money to make games still, and that's just one example. And yes, SMG probably took more than a million to profit. Even though seeing how it's a Nintendo game developed in-house, meaning Nintendo saw pretty much all the money from each game sale, it probably didn't need much over a million. The fact that it's sold, what 8 million, is just overkill and surplus money

It does happen, though. Factor 5 is dead.

Right, yes, we've agreed that Mario Galaxy probably took over a million to make profit in this scenario. Let's be generous, though, and pretend it only took a million - one million - copies sold to make profit. If it cost 16 million to make, and turned profit after a million, that would mean that Nintendo $16 per copy sold, right?

NOBODY CORRECT THIS. THIS IS A HYPOTHETICAL I'M USING TO PROVE A POINT.

Nope, it would just break even

Right, yes, I misspoke. But at that rate, if it takes one million sold in order to break even, then they get $16 per copy sold, right?

I already see where you're going with this. SMG was an "expensive" game. Ninty makes $16 per game. Now imagine some of the other games. They probably cost less to make, so at $16 a unit, it would take less to make profit.

Thing is though, with your hypothetical, if 1st party Nintendo is only making $16 on their games, what would 3rd parties make on a game per unit on the Wii, $2?

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
Khuutra said:
BMaker11 said:

Nope, it would just break even

Right, yes, I misspoke. But at that rate, if it takes one million sold in order to break even, then they get $16 per copy sold, right?

I already see where you're going with this. SMG was an "expensive" game. Ninty makes $16 per game. Now imagine some of the other games. They probably cost less to make, so at $16 a unit, it would take less to make profit.

Thing is though, with your hypothetical, if 1st party Nintendo is only making $16 on their games, what would 3rd parties make on a game per unit on the Wii, $2?

Now, now, don't skip ahead of me, that's not what I'm doing. Nintendo undoubtedly makes more than third parties. But let's take that $16 and do something interesting with it.

We can pretend that HD console third parties pay licensing fees low enough that they make the same amount per unit sold as Nintendo does - they don't, not even close, but we're going to pretend they do. Let's say, in this world where Nintendo gets $16 per copy of Super Mario Galaxy, that HD 3rd parties get the same amount.

Now, is this fair? Or, at least, if it's unfair, is it unfair in favor of the HD consoles?

@BMaker: Let's play a mindgame where we assume that Reggie has access to Nintendos internal figures, but not 3rd parties internal figures, which could mean Reggie was talking about 1st party games that tend to be more heavily marketed. Or, that the marketing budget per 1st party game (on average) takes the range to 1 million to turn into profit.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

It's been a while since someone pulled out a full-fledged Socrates on this site, I think.

Go Khuutra!

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

This thread keeps shining red even when there are no new posts in it... It's just that epic :P

Around the Network
Majin-Tenshinhan said:
This thread keeps shining red even when there are no new posts in it... It's just that epic :P

Something went wrong at some point and I'm unsure what it was but is is driving me crazy.

Khuutra said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

Something went wrong at some point and I'm unsure what it was but is is driving me crazy.

Yeah, same here :P I keep checking this thread like every other minute just to be continuously disappointed by seeing that no new posts have been made :(

RolStoppable said:
Majin-Tenshinhan said:

I was wondering about that myself and lolita also mentioned it on the previous page. I guess it's the same for everyone. It's as if the server demands people to check this thread out regularly.

Haha, yeah. Maybe it's Brett's will.

Red for me too. Well, i guess there's limit for how much epicness the server can handle.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

While he's away, is there any chance anyone can find me the production budgets of Metal Gear Solid 4 or Killzone 2? Ad budgets would be aces, but I don't need them to prove this point.

If anybody's got any idea, just stick 'em on my wall.