By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Wii owners, it's time to acknowledge third party failures

Ail said:

I seem to recollect articles claiming that the licencing fee on HD consoles are around 10$ for a full price game ( I have no clue if it's a percentage of the retail price or not, I would guess so or you woudn't see brand new games like Legendary retailing at 40$ from day one).

So any idea what the fee is like for a Wii game ?

I really wish we had information on what the respective licensing fees for various platforms are, but I think there's always going to be a cloud of speculation around that information.

Now, speculatively speaking, which platform would you expect to have higher licensing fees, the platform which makes a profit off of hardware, or the platform which relies on software sales to subsidize hardware costs?

"The worst part about these reviews is they are [subjective]--and their scores often depend on how drunk you got the media at a Street Fighter event."  — Mona Hamilton, Capcom Senior VP of Marketing
*Image indefinitely borrowed from BrainBoxLtd without his consent.

Around the Network
Kenology said:
BMaker11 said:
It's also time to invalidate the "So what if it didn't sell well, they only need to sell (insert extremely low sales figure) to make profit because Wii development costs are cheap" argument:

http://kotaku.com/5191706/so-how-many-copies-does-a-wii-game-need-to-sell-to-make-money

lol! Dude, you just mindlessly post crap you perceive to be a knock to Nintendo/the Wii without even rationally processing or analyzing it first. You really are making yourself look desperate!

I don't "mindlessly post crap". If you look across these forums, anytime 3rd party titles sales come into discussion about the Wii, it always results in "Game X may have sold poorly, but since it's on the Wii, it doesn't need to sell much to make a profit". I am sick of seeing it, and then came along this article, WHICH FOCUSES ON THE WORDS OF REGGIE FILS-AIME (you know, Nintendo of America) where he says "3rd party companies need to sell about a million copies in order to turn a profit".

This is what you call a source to an argument. Ninty fans believe low sales can turn a profit, I don't, and I have a source to back it up. How is citing your information "desperate"?

Edit: Slap yourself

Which brings us to my original point is that once the market is crowded and developers actually have to make good games that the Wii will be just as much of a money sink as the HD twins. So much for Nintendo and the Wii our savior.

BMaker I would appreciate it if you replied to me.

BMaker11 said:
Kenology said:
BMaker11 said:
It's also time to invalidate the "So what if it didn't sell well, they only need to sell (insert extremely low sales figure) to make profit because Wii development costs are cheap" argument:

http://kotaku.com/5191706/so-how-many-copies-does-a-wii-game-need-to-sell-to-make-money

lol! Dude, you just mindlessly post crap you perceive to be a knock to Nintendo/the Wii without even rationally processing or analyzing it first. You really are making yourself look desperate!

I don't "mindlessly post crap". If you look across these forums, anytime 3rd party titles sales come into discussion about the Wii, it always results in "Game X may have sold poorly, but since it's on the Wii, it doesn't need to sell much to make a profit". I am sick of seeing it, and then came along this article, WHICH FOCUSES ON THE WORDS OF REGGIE FILS-AIME (you know, Nintendo of America) where he says "3rd party companies need to sell about a million copies in order to turn a profit".

This is what you call a source to an argument. Ninty fans believe low sales can turn a profit, I don't, and I have a source to back it up. How is citing your information "desperate"?

Am I to understand that you think that, under no circumstances, can a Wii game be successful if it sold less than 1 million?

Around the Network

The statement makes no sense. On analysis, you'd see that there must be a mistake somewhere, whether you go by the costs of a video game, or the very fact that if this were true there wouldn't BE a games industry any more. It wouldn't be the first time that New York Times made an inaccurate article about gaming. In fact, this article is otherwise inaccurate, it gets Fils-Aime's job title wrong.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.

Majin-Tenshinhan said:
BMaker11 said:
Kenology said:
BMaker11 said:

Am I to understand that you think that, under no circumstances, can a Wii game be successful if it sold less than 1 million?

Certainly not. Stuff like Carnival Games and Game party could probably make a profit on 1 copy sold lol. But when you get to the likes of Samba de Amigo, House of the Dead, MadWorld, Zack and Wiki, NMH, De Blob, Trauma Center etc. selling 250-500k isn't going to cut it. Unless every time discussion about 3rd party games on the Wii revolves around crap like Hannah Montana or essentially anything from Ubisoft

BMaker

No More Heroes was very, very profitable.

The publisher and developer have said so.

How does this fit into your worldview?

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/31/video-game-makers-seeing-red/?pagemode=print

BMaker just read the final paragraph down there, would you?

Quod erat demonstrandum, I believe.

There's been a correction of that article, it's in the other thread: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=66137&page=7

Edit: Redundant post.

A game I'm developing with some friends:

www.xnagg.com/zombieasteroids/publish.htm

It is largely a technical exercise but feedback is appreciated.