By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Wii owners, it's time to acknowledge third party failures

BMaker11 said:
Khuutra said:
BMaker11 said:
It's also time to invalidate the "So what if it didn't sell well, they only need to sell (insert extremely low sales figure) to make profit because Wii development costs are cheap" argument:

http://kotaku.com/5191706/so-how-many-copies-does-a-wii-game-need-to-sell-to-make-money

BMaker, I am going to remember this forever. This post is going to live on in infamy. Do you understand? Forever.

Good. The next time a "big" 3rd party game comes out, and puts out abysmal numbers, and the excuses start flying, remember that link

Just remember BMaker: they're laughing with you, WITH you.

Around the Network

I don't care what sarcasm you guys toss at me. This is coming from Reggie himself, not me

I'm not being sarcastic. I'm trying to have a real, on-the-level conversation with you. Ignore noname and everyone for a minute. This is just you and me. Okay?

BMaker11 said:
I don't care what sarcasm you guys toss at me. This is coming from Reggie himself, not me

Answer Khuutra's question. I don't know why he's bothering with you, but if you go along you might learn something. Maybe.

Ok, Mario Galaxy and Gears at $16 million. But those are first party games, meaning the money made at retail go straight to the publisher. These 3rd party games, however cheap crappy they may be, only get a fraction of the money from retail, because some of that money has to go to the system creator (Sony, M$, Ninty), so logically, they'd have to sell more copies in order to turn a profit for the developer

Around the Network
BMaker11 said:
Khuutra said:
BMaker11 said:
It's also time to invalidate the "So what if it didn't sell well, they only need to sell (insert extremely low sales figure) to make profit because Wii development costs are cheap" argument:

http://kotaku.com/5191706/so-how-many-copies-does-a-wii-game-need-to-sell-to-make-money

BMaker, I am going to remember this forever. This post is going to live on in infamy. Do you understand? Forever.

Good. The next time a "big" 3rd party game comes out, and puts out abysmal numbers, and the excuses start flying, remember that link

Well, if you combine that number with claims from third party publishers like EA that HD console games cost 3 to 4 times as much as Wii games then you have to conclude that games like Little Big Planet, Ratchet and Clank and Killzone 2 are all major flops.

Actually Gears of War is said to have cost $10 million:

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/02/interview_epics.html

However this is a very rare budget for a HD game, for two reasons:

1- It doesn't include engine development or licensing (since Epic used their own engine)
2- Parts of the game development were outsourced to Epic China (a subsidiary that Epic opened there).

It surely doesn't include marketing either.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

BMaker11 said:
Ok, Mario Galaxy and Gears at $16 million. But those are first party games, meaning the money made at retail go straight to the publisher. These 3rd party games, however cheap crappy they may be, only get a fraction of the money from retail, because some of that money has to go to the system creator (Sony, M$, Ninty), so logically, they'd have to sell more copies in order to turn a profit for the developer

That's very sensible and I am glad that you said it, but let's go a bit slower here. You're getting ahead of me. Gears of War is a third-party game with an exclusivity contract, not first-party. Mario Galaxy is first-party, I know.

Let's look at Mario Galaxy - 16 million is pretty expensive for a Wii game, right? That probably took more than a million to reach profit, right?

The reason I make this comparison is that in most cases, publishers pay for the entirety of the development of a game, and then take all the money that proceeds from retail sales until such a time as profit has been made, after which the developer gets royalties. So it comes to the same thing in terms of how many games are needed to turn a profit. Right?

I didn't mean to turn this into two questions, and will keep it narrower from here on out.

NJ5 said:

Actually Gears of War is said to have cost $10 million:

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/02/interview_epics.html

However this is a very rare budget for a HD game, for two reasons:

1- It doesn't include engine development or licensing (since Epic used their own engine)
2- Parts of the game development were outsourced to Epic China (a subsidiary that Epic opened there).

It surely doesn't include marketing either.

Granted and conceded, but that's why I'm talking about Mario Galaxy rather than Gears - Epic's games are very confusing in terms of absolute cost.

--OkeyDokey-- said:
BrainBoxLtd said:

I wonder how many people will actually click on those links. =P

Nobody but you and me it seems.

i did as well *sigh*