By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Wii owners, it's time to acknowledge third party failures

BMaker11 said:
Khuutra said:

It's not apples and oranges. The only question is how much it takes to be profitable.

Can I say HD third parties make as much as Nintendo per unit sold? I know it's not true: I said it's not true. I'm trying to make a point that assumes HD console owners make more money than you think they do.

Can I assume this sixteen dollars, since it means fewer copies would need to be sold for HD third parties to turn a profit?

By HD console owners, I'm hoping you mean HD game developers because I mean, how can I (an owner of HD consoles) make more money than I think I do lol.

Anyway, I don't think you can "assume $16 per unit" because we know for a fact that for the most 3rd party games need to sell more than 1st party games in order to turn profit. We know for a fact that HD 3rd party games need to sell more than Wii 3rd party games in order to turn profit.

The main differences here are that 3rd party games have been generally successful on the HD consoles, and not so much on the Wii. So while the HD consoles do in fact need to sell more than the Wii, comparatively, they don't have a problem doing so. Wii 3rd party games I'm sure have some amount that needs to be met to make profit, but I'm sure 250-300k isn't it. Especially because the per unit revenue they make is much less than that of 1st party games

You are killing me, man! You are killing me.

Well, you've backed off from the million figure, but you refuse to participate in the Socratic method so I'm going to get right down to it.

It's generally thought that third parties on the Wii make anywhere from fifteen to twenty dollars per copy of a game sold. Yes, this is third parties. Nintendo makes substantially more. It's unknown if third parties on the HD console would make more or not, but it's also generally thought that if they do make more than Wii third parties, it's not a significant amount.

The point's been proven that Reggie either misspoke or misquoted. Games on the Wii don't need a million to break even. Since you have acquiesced to this, there's no more argument to make.

Most "decent" third party games on the Wii probably do take in the order of magnitude that you're figuring (which would net them anywhere between 4 and 6 million dollars). The big ones probably take more! But it's unclear which ones are the big ones and which aren't. It's known that Okami turned a profit, but it's also unclear as to how much it cost to port it (probably not a lot).

Remember this, though: raw profit isn't the only metric of success, here. You also need a good Return on Investment ratio, where investing a certain amount of money gets you high profits. So you can spend 5 million on one project and make 5 million profit, that's a really good return on investment! But if you spend 500k apiece on ten projects and make 5 million profit apiece, you are rolling in the money.

I guess we don't have anything to argue about, since you came to most of the right conclusions by yourself.

Around the Network

Sorry about the necro, I just was curious to see if this thread was still permanently red. [edit: IT IS!]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

I will acknowledge the 3rd party failure once I have Conduit, MH3,DQX and other in my hands then you can go on.

I think compared to the GCN & N64 ... the wii is now getting fired up

Monster Hunter Tri : Omegas

Behold! I am Omegas

Rise dead thread! Rise!

I think that the Wii owners are just happy playing their games that they think is fun to play and not thinking about sales.

Playing games should be all about the fun and not about the sales of them, if you have forgotten that OP then I feel truly sorry for you.

It's only the Xbots that thinks that in order for them to have fun with a game it must have sold well and gotten a very good average score.

Please, please don't become like them.

Ever.

YOU...   WILL...   LEARN...   DISCIPLINE!

PlayStation 3 is soon to make you her bitch

Around the Network

^ I agree lol so true

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99

2funky4u said:

I think that the Wii owners are just happy playing their games that they think is fun to play and not thinking about sales.

Playing games should be all about the fun and not about the sales of them, if you have forgotten that OP then I feel truly sorry for you.

It's only the Xbots that thinks that in order for them to have fun with a game it must have sold well and gotten a very good average score.

Ever.

LOL this was a Rol thread to counter another thread talking about poor sales of Zack and Wiki, MadWorld, and the like.

Rol is a bit of a jokester but this thread was to counter others trying to troll the Wii.

MaxwellGT2000 - "Does the amount of times you beat it count towards how hardcore you are?"

Wii Friend Code - 5882 9717 7391 0918 (PM me if you add me), PSN - MaxwellGT2000, XBL - BlkKniteCecil, MaxwellGT2000

MaxwellGT2000 said:
2funky4u said:

Ever.

LOL this was a Rol thread to counter another thread talking about poor sales of Zack and Wiki, MadWorld, and the like.

Rol is a bit of a jokester but this thread was to counter others trying to troll the Wii.

Hmm?

I'm really confused now.

YOU...   WILL...   LEARN...   DISCIPLINE!

PlayStation 3 is soon to make you her bitch

I'm personally disappointed on the available games for the Wii, tbh. Like all Nintendo platforms I bought it just for mario and zelda so I am already served on that front but... the complimentary dishes are lacking.

Current-gen game collection uploaded on the profile, full of win and good games; also most of my PC games. Lucasfilm Games/LucasArts 1982-2008 (Requiescat In Pace).

^ click on the links to see the joke this is one of my favorite threads lol

Nintendo Network ID: Sherlock99