By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will there be a PS4??

ys i thnk thr wll be a ps4 bcuz im usng short wrds tht maks my post hrd t read. It's okay though, I've seen much much worse.

Translation: Duh, of course there will be.

Around the Network

Ofcourse there will be

people forget SONY won 2 generations and had 2 CONSOLES selling over 100 million

lol....any comparisons with SEGA/ATARI leaving are silly

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

It will probably not be called PS4. Japanese people could have some problems with this name.

But yes, there will be new console from Sony.

Nanaki said:
It will probably not be called PS4. Japanese people could have some problems with this name.

How so??

Xxain said:
Nanaki said:

How so??

Because word "Shi" has two meanings. One is "4", second is "Death". Nobody calls a console "Playstation Death".

(I don´t, that I know Japanese, only from watching anime. Please, someone with more knowledge, write more info about the matter).

Around the Network

compete words please.

Yes. There is a lot of money to be made in the video game industry. They'd be stupid to pull out because of the PS3. Besides, I love my PS3. Just because it's in last place doesn't mean it sucks.

zeitgeistmovie.com

PS3 Trophies

Sony Pii

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Nanaki said:
Xxain said:
Nanaki said:

How so??

Because word "Shi" has two meanings. One is "4", second is "Death". Nobody calls a console "Playstation Death".

(I don´t, that I know Japanese, only from watching anime. Please, someone with more knowledge, write more info about the matter).

PS Nega

Nanaki said:
Xxain said:
Nanaki said:

How so??

Yeah, that is correct. You see this applied in real life. For instance there were no Canon G4 or S4 IS cameras. They went from 3 directly to 5.

From Wikipedia:

Canon, based in Japan, omitted the number 4 from the range due to cultural superstition.

"The word "four" is read as "si" in Chinese Mandarin and "shi" in Japanese, a close homonym for the word for death in both languages.

Amateur Photographer magazine also supported this:

"the truth behind the leap from 3 to 5 is one based on cultural superstition — in Japan, the number 4 is considered unlucky. This is because the pronunciation of 4 — “shi” — is the same pronunciation as death. This is the reason why the EOS range jumps from the EOS 3 to EOS 5, and why the latest IXUS digital compacts bucks the trend of the IXUS v2 and IXUS v3 models by becoming the IXUS 400. Indeed, to find a Canon camera with a model number 4 you have to look back as far as the 1950s to the Canon IV."

Sony did that same with the Cyber Shot G & H series.

I also remeber reading somewhere that Narita Airport has no Gate 4.

However, given how famous the PS brand, who knows?

No foreign sky protected me,
No stranger's wing shielded my face.
I stand as witness to the common lot,
survivor of that time, that place.

- From 'Requiem' by Anna Akhmatova