By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will there be a PS4??

Okay, after spending 10 minutes trying to read that OP:

Of course there will be a PS4! The PS3's already sold 21 million units, over double the DreamCast's sales. SCE made a profit last quarter, albeit a very tiny one. Yes, the PS3 has lost money, but the PS2 and PS1 were both generation winners with over 100 million sales! The PSP should easily get 60-65 million sales before it dies out. Sony have some 30 first party IPs and 15 first party developers, as well as many second parties.

I swear, we get one of these threads every week.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network

But they NEVER get old.

Particularly to those who strangely feel some desperate need to see Sony leave the console business.

I really have to ask: is it a bet? Your immortal soul? First born son? Because it will take a lot more than supposition and FUD to make it happen, so get cracking.

Kantor said:
Okay, after spending 10 minutes trying to read that OP:

Of course there will be a PS4! The PS3's already sold 21 million units, over double the DreamCast's sales. SCE made a profit last quarter, albeit a very tiny one. Yes, the PS3 has lost money, but the PS2 and PS1 were both generation winners with over 100 million sales! The PSP should easily get 60-65 million sales before it dies out. Sony have some 30 first party IPs and 15 first party developers, as well as many second parties.

I swear, we get one of these threads every week.

Considering the Dreamcast was a failure and put Sega in a debt that's not a great comparison. Although the PS3 sales have already passed up the Gamecube but probably generated more profit than the PS3 ever will. Eitherway the PS3 is bound to get out of the red eventually.

As far as the PSP goes, 46 million sold seems like a huge success to me especially considering it only happen in 4 years. The Gameboy Advance sold 80 million units in 7 years so the PSP may be on track with that. Also since people enjoy using them as a portable multimedia device it may not just die out as long as they keep adding new features.

In the end to sum up=PS4 Will be there! right?

PLAYSTATION® is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Eventually there will be a PS4 but right now, PS3 is Sony's console.

Around the Network

I don't understand why people think it's impossible for a company to drop out of the race.

Yeah, Sony was "King" for two generations. Hurray. Too bad their third generation console demolished the profits from the last two, and put them in a crippling debt.

Why does all this have to even be repeated? Sony is in HUGE financial troubles, slashing workforces, shutting down factories, restructuring of management... it's all been said before.

BUT NOPE NOPE THER WIL B A PS4 FER SHURE GUISE

Where is the money to go on with this venture? Where is the business sense in all this? Nintendo can never die thanks to it's core fanbase, Microsoft has a near infinite supply of cash, Sony has... a collapsing company and a sinking ship of a console?

Nintendo is essentially immortal, and Microsoft is willing to fight tooth and nail to be the "other" competitor in the market - and certainly has more fight power than Sony could ever dream of.

I'm not saying there is zero chance of a PS4. What I am saying though, is if I had to make a bet, I'd say there isn't going to another console from Sony. Let alone one that will topple the competition.

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!

@shadow)os...sony is a multi national company it cant go out of the gaming market just bcoz of 1 failure!!!n ps3 is not a failure its going pretty good n its probably gna end as 2nd this gen!!!!

PLAYSTATION® is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Is that a serious response?

Nintendo is a "multinational" company. Microsoft is a "multinational" company. Sega is a "multinational" company. Hey, so are Apple, Atari, and countless others.

Where are they now? Not making consoles after their abysmal failures.

As for PS3 "probably" finishing second? Time will tell on that one. Not like it matters though. They might achieve second, but where is the money they earned? There is none. They have too much ground to cover and they don't have the stranglehold they once had to help the recoup losses.

And it's like you completely ignored the fact their entire company is in peril. Do they even have one department that isn't up to it's knees in trouble right now?

By life end:

• Wii- 100 million+
  • Xbox360- 35~40 million
  • PS3- 30 million
  • PSP- 30~32 million ------------- FAILURE
  • NDS- 85~90 million (Skeptical)  - FAILURE
  • NDS- 100 million+ (Optimistic) -- Success!