By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Will there be a PS4??

It's WAY to early to even begin thinking of a PS4 or X720 or whatever.

Around the Network

I think it will just be PlayStation 4..

Being a cricket fan is much simpler and more fun
forevercloud3000 said:
What a silly Question...
Of course there will be a PS4.......many many years in the future. As of right not wht PS3 is here to stay. The system is not doing nearly as bad as many would have you believe. So what if it is in 3rd place. So was gamecube, Nintendo survived.

Plus the idea of scrapping the PS3 now for another high tech system is stupid. What, is Sony suppose to make a weaker system then the PS3 for the PS4? I think not. A new system would have to be an upgrade, not downgrade, meaning the sytem would be even more exspensive. Now that just doesn't make sense.

Definitely, but not everyone who has an opinion on this seems to be operating on logic.

Back to back platform commercial failures are what dropped Sega from the hardware business. And those two also ran platforms were actually preceded by two other half step platform upgrades that were not fully supported (Sega CD, 32X), losing name brand loyalty each step along the way.

If the PS3 was Sony's Saturn (overly expensive, complicated architecture, hard to develop for, no real benefits over the competition in the games themselves), then a Dreamcast-like PS4 could conceivably pull SCE from the hardware business unless they decided to keep the MS approach of continually throwing money into a division until it can float on its own.

But, keep in mind that what trumped the DC, was the imminent release of the PS2 and the overwhelming third party support it had gathered on board. Different situation entirely unless Sony manages to lose most of its third party support completely.

However, most third party developers don't have the luxury of sticking with one platform only under the current conditions of higher development costs, etc.

What Sony needs to work on is not rushing another console out the door ahead of the competition (Dreamcast), but sticking to the same game plan used over the last two generations: reduce costs, achieve profitability, reduce developer costs, reduce retail prices, increase user base/marketshare.

In otherwords, just make the PS3 cheaper and easier to develop for from both a technical and financial standpoint.

A new platform obviously isn't going to accomplish that.

Not to mention the next Sony console will almost certainly continue use of the CBE architecture, potentially with more CPUs as was the original design of the PS3 (nixed due to costs and replaced with the RSX). It seems unlikely that they'll attempt another launch above $299 next time around if they want to see strong sales off the starting line.

Aj_habfan said:
Obviously they will. I don't think it will be called PS4 though. Too predictable. I think they will continue the momentum of the PS3 and call it : Playstation 3: 2 - Very catchy and on the edge.

Someone have mercy on us, not another 2.0 thing!!!

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Alby_da_Wolf said:
Aj_habfan said:
Obviously they will. I don't think it will be called PS4 though. Too predictable. I think they will continue the momentum of the PS3 and call it : Playstation 3: 2 - Very catchy and on the edge.

Hmm, 2.0, I like it. That will make it easier to work from. So the next console released can be Playstation 3: 2.1. Nice work my friend.

Around the Network
Aj_habfan said:
Alby_da_Wolf said:
Aj_habfan said:

Hmm, 2.0, I like it. That will make it easier to work from. So the next console released can be Playstation 3: 2.1. Nice work my friend.

AAAARRRGGGHHH!!! You are ruthless!  

Uhm, thinking again, it would appear one major release ahead of Linux kernel...

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

the ps3 suck so this is there last system : no ps4 (thanks god)

sly777 said:
the ps3 suck so this is there last system : no ps4 (thanks god)

WerePS4?

There last system, there castle.

Of course there will be a PS4- QUAD 4 LI4E

I say yes, but obviously it'll be a more economical price.