By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Does everyone Hate Turned Based RPG's Nowadays?

I would assume this post refers to JRPGs more than stuff that is just turn-based. I believe the turn-based stuff has gone to handhelds for the most part this generation. The DS and PSP have a decent number of them.

Around the Network

From the few JRPGs Ive played I prefer Action/Real-Time RPG over the slow ass boring Turn-Based ones.

I gotta agree with what your friends say. Turn-Based is slow paced and boring as shit. At least imo. Tales gameplay is awesome and Soma Bringer real-time gameplay is fucking amazing. If I want strategic gameplay I'll play an SRPG. Turn-Based RPG are just too damn slow. Though I do play a few still I prefer the action.

i dont mind turned based

Turn-based RPGs get a lot of flak mostly because of the fact that the genre has stagnated horribly over the last 20 to 25 years. Since its origin, very little actual innovation has entered into the picture; most of it has been the scaling up of existing concepts, adding new complexities to old ideas. Strip your average turn-based RPG down to the utmost basics, and you basically have a Dragon Quest or mid-generation Final Fantasy clone, almost without fail.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

I'm not a huge fan of most RPG's, but I really enjoy Paper Mario's and Mario & Luigi's style for taking down the baddies. It's turn based, but at the same time you need to keep on your toes. A well used button press could mean extra attack damage or a guard against an enemy attack.

It seems to me that it's the best of both worlds: strategic planning and meaningful player involvement.

I'm also getting a kick out of some awesome (?) generalisations you guys are making!

Turn Based: Boring and Tedious!
Action: Mindless Button Mashing!

Around the Network

I actualy prefer turn based over action.

"And yet, I've realized that maybe living a "decent" life means you won't ever have a "good" life."

MontanaHatchet said:

1. Monster Hunter Freedom Portable 2G (again, not sure if this is turn based).

2. Final Fantasy III (turn-based)

3. Crisis Core (turn-based)

4. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (I'm pretty sure this game is turn based).

5. Mario & Luigi (I'm guessing this isn't turn based).

I'd love corrections, but it seems that turn based RPGs are still fairly popular.

Monster Hunter isn't what I'd call a turned based Japanese RPG.

Mario & Luigi is turn based.  The current version (3) is doing well in Japan.

Tired of big government?
Want liberty in your lifetime?
Join us @
http://www.freestateproject.org

Beacuse they are to hard for some people I guess, they rather have some mindless buttonsmashing crap that take no skill whatsoever to complete.

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

I wish western devs would make turn based games again.
The SSI AD&D games were far better then anything ever to come out of JP.

Yet, today, America's leaders are reenacting every folly that brought these great powers [Russia, Germany, and Japan] to ruin -- from arrogance and hubris, to assertions of global hegemony, to imperial overstretch, to trumpeting new 'crusades,' to handing out war guarantees to regions and countries where Americans have never fought before. We are piling up the kind of commitments that produced the greatest disasters of the twentieth century.
 — Pat Buchanan – A Republic, Not an Empire

I prefer turn based gaming in rpgs, or a dice based system like dnd thats done in semi real time.

In an RPG I like my stats the be the determining factor when I want to kill something. Not reflexes, if I wanted that I'd just play quake.