By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Does everyone Hate Turned Based RPG's Nowadays?

I love turn based games my favorite RPG is FFX and that had a really slow system but that gives you more time to Strategize..

*Al Bundy's My Hero*

*Al Bundy For President*

Waiting On GT7!!!

PSN ID: Acidfacekiller

Around the Network

Turn based isn't mainstream. Everything must be mainstream today. This reminds me one nice article.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2008/02/01/against-design-decadence-vince-d-weller/

While I’d been following Fallout-but-in-fallout-of-Roman-Empire indie-RPG  Age of Decadence’s development at a comfortable distance, its world collided with Rock Paper Shotgun when Walker posted a little combat teaser the team behind this indie-RPG had released. The thread exploded with readers rejecting its turn-based formality, and then there was a counter-reaction to that.
Now, let’s go back to the responses to that article and take a look at the points your audience made:

“I’d rather puke a lung, to be honest. It would probably be more fun.”

“I am a discerning gamer of the modern age. I demand heads that smush like rotten melons, over then top rag doll death animations and screams recorded live from Nike sweatshops.”

“They took their combat model from Bookworm Adventure. Snore!”

“This is for those times when you want to sit back in your chair and only click the mouse once every 10 minutes.”

“Taking turns fighting may be something “classic” and “niche” audience, but it’s “niche” for a reason, people are looking to new things, and while rolling dice worked for pen and paper, we don’t have to do that anymore and for most people, it’s just not all that fun. Real time is just more immersive for most that want to deal with something that feels more like a real world, not a jumble of numbers and calculations on screen, the illusion is maintained with it off screen, happening in real time while people move and fire freely aiming where they want, when they want, how they want.”

“Wow, I will never play a game like that, ever. I loathe turn-based games, which is the main reason why I refuse to play any Final Fantasy game. It takes me straight out of the immersion of a game when everyone lines up and takes TURNS swiping at each other. Give me something that involves my skill. I absolutely hate it when my hit chance relies on some random dice roll. That is pure and total BS.”

Yeah, thats just lol, but its unfortunately happening. Fortunately theres a lot of turn based stuff coming for PC actually.

Khuutra said:
Kasz216 said:
Khuutra said:
MontanaHatchet said:

I'm going to assume you're referring to JRPGs, since I can't think of a single western RPG that was turnbased. In that case, let's take a look at the top-selling JRPGs of this generation:

Uh.

Pretty much any RPG based on the d20 system is turn-based. That's a lot.

Two high-profile examples (though the latter wouldn't be d20) would be Knights of the Old Republic and the original Fallout games.

KOTOR is TURNBASED?

Now i'm REALLY pissed it won't work on vista.

I know.

All I can recommend is trying to google it.

I did last time i checked there was no solution.  Might opt to rebuy it for 360.

I love them!

They are the only type of RPG's I have ever played actually.

I don't know why either. To me, non turn based games are simply adventures games, not RPGs.

Another thing I have to consider is whether there is a swirl or other graphical effect when you enter battle.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Around the Network
Naum said:
Beacuse they are to hard for some people I guess, they rather have some mindless buttonsmashing crap that take no skill whatsoever to complete.

Look, this criticism does not hold water in a genre where most of the hardest games can be made into a breeze by grinding kills for a dozen hours.

Turn based RPG's are somewhat boring after playing them through the NES, SNES, and PS1 eras. I don't think I find them boring because of my gaming preference, because I like turn based strategy games like Civilization and Advance Wars. Those games are innovative, where turn based RPG's tend to be the same game formula every time.

Why people think that a game is mindless button bashing if it isn't turn based is beyond me . I personanly dislike turn based battling for the simple reason that it's slow and unrealistic , real battles never take place in turn ( I understand that turn based games aim to be strategy orientated ).

I prefer action , intesity , agility etc I prefer to fight with a certain style , adapt my fighting style that of my oponent whilst I fight and turn based RPG's can't offer that.

I never could quite understand it myself , but over the years ive noticed people either love it or hate it.
IMO its what makes an RPG an RPG.