By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Does everyone Hate Turned Based RPG's Nowadays?

griffinA said:
I think some action RPG's combat is just too simple to enjoy. On the other hand, I think some turn-based systems are too complicated to enjoy.

For example, I can not seem to get into FF6 becasue of it's complicated battle system yet I LOVE Chrono Trigger. They have similar battle systems it's just that Chrono Trigger's system is symplified.

Final Fantasy VI is my favorite RPG. I started playing it when I was about six years old. I reccomend you try harder to like it. Believe me it's worth it.

Around the Network
ShadowSoldier said:
@Montana

Crisis Core , Mario and Monster Hunter are more Action then Turn Base

FFIII is a remake so I dont think It should count.

And Im talking about consoles

Final Fantasy III shouldn't count because it's a remake? Why does it matter if it's a remake? And if you're talking about the home consoles, that's more the fault of companies for not releasing any high profile turn based RPGs, not a general lack of interest among gamers. Lost Odyssey shows that there's at least some interest left.

I dont mind them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1gWECYYOSo

Please Watch/Share this video so it gets shown in Hollywood.

I like turn-based

4 ≈ One

I like turn-based better.

JRPG's that try and do action are usually junk like FXII and Kingdom Hearts.

I am Washu-bot B, loyal servant of Final-Fan, the greatest scientific genius in the universe!

Around the Network

Turn based RPGs are slow and boring - you have to be smart to work out the techinques and they are very repetitive when you get stuck and have to keep trying different things to progress in the game. Turn based are 80's style games and should be left in the past. New games should not be made using turn based but it is ok to relaunch touched up classic games and bring them to the handhelds, XBox Live Arcade, WiiWare or PSN for gamers who like these games can play them.

I prefer Real time RPGs -have better battle/combat systems and are easier for people to pick up and play. They are fun and enjoyable and will appeal to a wider audience than old dated turn based RPGs. Modern RPGs non-turn based sell a lot more than turn based RPGs in the modern age - year 2009 WRPGs-FTW.

Turn based is always the best, they allow for the best battles and the best strategy. Real Time may be sometimes good, but it also bows down too much in the end to button mashing. Even though I like some real time RPGs, I'll always prefer a good turn based one

The whole turn-based battle system is what got me into playing JRPG's. It started with Final Fantasy X then Final Fantasy X-2 and now I'm enjoying Blue Dragon on the Xbox 360. I wish this system stays and have the option of using it in the future battle systems that JRPG developers come up with.

Similar to how Square Enix did with Final Fantasy X-2, where you had the option to play Active-Battle system or Turn-Based.

I like turnbased thats the way rpgs should be.

numonex said:

Turn based RPGs are slow and boring - you have to be smart to work out the techinques and they are very repetitive when you get stuck and have to keep trying different things to progress in the game. Turn based are 80's style games and should be left in the past. New games should not be made using turn based but it is ok to relaunch touched up classic games and bring them to the handhelds, XBox Live Arcade, WiiWare or PSN for gamers who like these games can play them.

I prefer Real time RPGs -have better battle/combat systems and are easier for people to pick up and play. They are fun and enjoyable and will appeal to a wider audience than old dated turn based RPGs. Modern RPGs non-turn based sell a lot more than turn based RPGs in the modern age - year 2009 WRPGs-FTW.

It sounds like you suck at strategy and you perfer mindless button mashing

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi