By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Does everyone Hate Turned Based RPG's Nowadays?

Online strategy game guides can help you pass JRPGs which require a bit more than just mashing the buttons. Hours stuck in the same area in a turn-based JRPG is fun?

Around the Network
ShadowSoldier said:
numonex said:

Turn based RPGs are slow and boring - you have to be smart to work out the techinques and they are very repetitive when you get stuck and have to keep trying different things to progress in the game. Turn based are 80's style games and should be left in the past. New games should not be made using turn based but it is ok to relaunch touched up classic games and bring them to the handhelds, XBox Live Arcade, WiiWare or PSN for gamers who like these games can play them.

I prefer Real time RPGs -have better battle/combat systems and are easier for people to pick up and play. They are fun and enjoyable and will appeal to a wider audience than old dated turn based RPGs. Modern RPGs non-turn based sell a lot more than turn based RPGs in the modern age - year 2009 WRPGs-FTW.

It sounds like you suck at strategy and you perfer mindless button mashing

That isn't even close to fair. I like turn-based RPGs but you can't go accusing some other genre of button mashing where the primary power strategy for most turn-based JRPG gamers is going into random battles and selecting "fight" over and over.

Its old school, now an days we just wanna whack thing constantly with flashy matrixy moves ala Versus XIII, Star Ocean: TLH, PSU.

Because not many people liked turn based RPGS in the first place.

While a lot more like ARPGs since it's like other genres... but with the depth those genres were lacking.

It's not that more people hate Turnbased RPGs.

It's just that more people like RPGs in general.  Just not "traditional" ones.

Khuutra said:
MontanaHatchet said:

I'm going to assume you're referring to JRPGs, since I can't think of a single western RPG that was turnbased. In that case, let's take a look at the top-selling JRPGs of this generation:

Uh.

Pretty much any RPG based on the d20 system is turn-based. That's a lot.

Two high-profile examples (though the latter wouldn't be d20) would be Knights of the Old Republic and the original Fallout games.

KOTOR is TURNBASED?

Now i'm REALLY pissed it won't work on vista.

Around the Network
Kasz216 said:
Khuutra said:
MontanaHatchet said:

I'm going to assume you're referring to JRPGs, since I can't think of a single western RPG that was turnbased. In that case, let's take a look at the top-selling JRPGs of this generation:

Uh.

Pretty much any RPG based on the d20 system is turn-based. That's a lot.

Two high-profile examples (though the latter wouldn't be d20) would be Knights of the Old Republic and the original Fallout games.

KOTOR is TURNBASED?

Now i'm REALLY pissed it won't work on vista.

I know.

All I can recommend is trying to google it.

god, lost oddysey was a great game.

I don't hate them, but they're a little too tedious.

Not a 360 fanboy, just a PS3 fanboy hater that likes putting them in their place ^.^

i am still waiting to play a good one this gen.

i have no freaking idea, i love turned based RPGs, as well as action RPGs, and i dont understand why people say they are dated, games like FFX and LO show they can be a lot of fun