By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why Does everyone Hate Turned Based RPG's Nowadays?

that's not true, there's Pokemon.

Around the Network

I like them. I like action RPG's too. Well let's say that I like good RPG's, whether they are turn based or action.
Turn is obviously better for single player with party and can give some unequalled satisfactions when figuring out a good tactic you manage to beat very strong foes. I stopped playing ToEE when I upgraded WME to W2000, but I'm tempted to reinstall and continue it, it's by no means a classic, but it has some very nice and hard battles (If I do, though, I'll have to discard my current bard and get and level up with random encounters another, as I'm not an AD&D expert and I accepted one with too low charisma, preventing her access to higher level skills and spells).

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

I think gamers today have ADD and they need to press a button to feel involved.

I'm going to assume you're referring to JRPGs, since I can't think of a single western RPG that was turnbased. In that case, let's take a look at the top-selling JRPGs of this generation:

1. Pokemon Diamond/Pearl (turn-based)

2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time (I assume it's turn-based)

3. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team (I assume this is turn-based as well).

4. Monster Hunter Freedom Portable 2G (don't know if this series is turn based).

5. Pokemon Ranger (I'm not sure what this game is even about, but I'll guess turn-based).

And if we're not counting Pokemon, then the list looks like this:

1. Monster Hunter Freedom Portable 2G (again, not sure if this is turn based).

2. Final Fantasy III (turn-based)

3. Crisis Core (turn-based)

4. Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (I'm pretty sure this game is turn based).

5. Mario & Luigi (I'm guessing this isn't turn based).

I'd love corrections, but it seems that turn based RPGs are still fairly popular.

MontanaHatchet said:

I'm going to assume you're referring to JRPGs, since I can't think of a single western RPG that was turnbased. In that case, let's take a look at the top-selling JRPGs of this generation:

Uh.

Pretty much any RPG based on the d20 system is turn-based. That's a lot.

Two high-profile examples (though the latter wouldn't be d20) would be Knights of the Old Republic and the original Fallout games.

Around the Network

Mystery Dungeon/Ranger games are not turn-based.

Khuutra said:
MontanaHatchet said:

Uh.

Pretty much any RPG based on the d20 system is turn-based. That's a lot.

Two high-profile examples (though the latter wouldn't be d20) would be Knights of the Old Republic and the original Fallout games.

I haven't played Knights of the Old Republic or the original Fallout titles, so I wouldn't know.

Cactus said:
Mystery Dungeon/Ranger games are not turn-based.

Thanks for the correction. I was just putting together a list of the top-selling RPGs, but the problem is that I haven't played most of them .

@Montana

Crisis Core , Mario and Monster Hunter are more Action then Turn Base

FFIII is a remake so I dont think It should count.

And Im talking about consoles

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

turned based RPG's = Epic win!