By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGchartz reviews: way too nice and illogical!!!

Garnett said:
Tremble said:
Well reviews, they must be objectives, opinions are subjectives.

For example, I love Crisis core, it's a 9+ game for me, but if I had to write a review, I'd give it a 7.

You give a game you LOVE  a 7? 7 = Average

7 isn't average first of all.

And secondly, I agree with him. I'd give Final Fantasy IX a 10/10 but if I had to review, I would have to give no higher than 9.5.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
Fair enough.

What's the problem with deviating from metacritic, though?

Nothing. But if it deviates too much from the average of ~100 other reviewers, the review seems just less credible IMO.

While I can understand, that there can be a wider gap with "mediocre" or "only good" games, a true AAA game shouldn't get comparatively "low" scores.

Like my previous example. I wouldn't consider a review credible if they rated SMG a 8.5 out of 10.

I agree. The reviews are too nice and also I don't know, for a few reviews, who the audience is. They never mention if newcomers will like this game or does it only apply to hardcore gamers. Will I like the game if I never played this genre before? A few also seem to be too reviewish. Lots of fact and not enough opinion.

Also for the God of War PSP review, I agree with the score, but I read a few people saying the reviewer admitted in hating GoW. If that's true, it's just a bad image to the site.

Barozi said:
Fallout 3 - 8.2
God of War: Chains of Olympus - 7.9

Nuff said !

If they can back up their claim, then it's good enough for me.

Metacritic shouldnt be held up as any standard. It simply gives an average of what many different people thought about a game. Each individual reviewer can be below or above average...thats kind of the definition of average.

Also, as Louie said, since we buy our own games there is a definite bias towards higher scores. Simply put most games that deseverve

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

Around the Network

I actually think that VGC has the best reviews overall. I tend to agree a lot more with them, and we've got a great review staff who isn't afraid to give out low scores to games that deserve them. And, there isn't an excess of 9+ scores on this site. Other sites have gotten a lot worse about handing out high scores based on hype and such, but I don't see that here. So, I'm very happy with the reviews on here. Keep up the great work guys!

Staude said:
nordlead said:
Staude said:

I doubt that very much as I seem to enjoy most commonly known good games. Maybe it's just that I like new games and not rehashes. Even sequals of other games has less rehasing.

So tekken 6 isn't a rehash, while brawl and galaxy are? I fail to see any logic behind this.

I would say touche if not for the fact that tekken has a deep story that evolves in each litteration :P

And brings brand new chars into each game and new game modes. For instance the third person action adventure found in tekken 5 or the online found in the psn version.

Each person in the game has a personality and a story .. it's not just their move list that evolves but their very essence.. (and age)

So tekken does really reinvent itself in every version. It's also the reason why some people like some tekken games over others, for instance, a lot of people prefere tekken 3 over tekken 4 because 4 opted for a more realistic approach, while most people in general prefere 5 because of the brand new way everything feels while you are playing.

Okay, I love Tekken and I know you wanted to back up your point but saying Tekken has a deep story is ridiculous. Every character that isn't Mishima related gets a pointless backstory as to why they entered the tournament and in the end you get a funny cutscene that wraps up their story. The story in Tekken (and most fighting games for that matter) is just an afterthought.

Signature goes here!

I thought vgchartz should've done a x/4 score.

Like 1/4(terrible), 2/4(flawed), 3/4(alright), 4/4(spectacular). Makes it much clearer, less controversial, and more fair.

But some of the review staff know what I think about a certain consoles' game reviews so far. Or maybe not the console, but something else.. they know, anyway.

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Reviews should be nasty and contain Spock-isms

WHERE IS MY KORORINPA 3

As low as the bar is for video game journalism and reviews, VGC so far doesn't make it. But they are new at reviewing, give them time to practice.