By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - VGchartz reviews: way too nice and illogical!!!

I don't know if I'm the only one, but I feel like most of the scores given are just taken from metacritic or gamerankings.

Around the Network
Khuutra said:
im_sneaky said:
As low as the bar is for video game journalism and reviews, VGC so far doesn't make it. But they are new at reviewing, give them time to practice.

Feel free to offer advice on how we might improve. We are very much open to suggestions.

Get some old timers to bitch about everything there is wrong todays games.(Like me. Unfortunately(or fortunately :D) I can't do reviews atm.)

The thing is you would need experience in games just from the beginning and sometimes people don't have it and theres frogs and 'WoW's for things that have been there 'forever' already.

Heres nice example how to bitch about things,

http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=129

At some point, The Elder Scrolls games were leading role-playing games that pushed the genre forward, but action games traditionally sell more, which explains several attempts to jump on that bandwagon. Battlespire sucked, but it's finally been decided that it sucked not because the design was bad, but because it was sold as an action game. At that pivotal moment the design for Oblivion was born: an action game for casual gamers sold as an RPG! Brilliant! Why brilliant? Well, any complaints about the action elements would be met with "It's an RPG! Duh!", while any complaints about the RPG elements would be met with "It's not your grandpa's RPG with die rolls and skill checks. It's an action game! For next generation! Duh!"

(There isn't even much bitching, but its a nice start. :) )

Lets take Fallout 3 review on vgchartz for example, http://news.vgchartz.com/news.php?id=2996

The world is pretty big, and you’ll cover most of the main landmarks while completing the storyline and key sub-quests. When you highlight the quest you want to work on the landmark you have to reach is indicated on the map.

The world is big, but there just about nothing to explore, because all places look like same. Ammo boxes & stuff are all around and you can find even food from everywhere. Talk about surviving in post apocalyptic world. Maybe this was baby edition, who knows? All-knowing compass(tm) from oblivion is also back.

That said, the landscapes are quite impressive and when the V.A.T.S. system is captured perfectly by the camera (which isn’t always the case) the animations and rag doll physics are good, although these graphical benefits are often offset by unreactive enemies.

That said, the landscapes are quite repetitive and V.A.T.S. is just some slow mo half made turn based something, which gets more and more annoying everytime you use it, because its bugged and keeps overflowing stuff into your ram. You can only shoot in V.A.T.S.. You cannot go and come behind corner and shoot. Oh, and those blowing up heads. Uh, I has a pistol and blow up your head with it. Just great. Not to mention that you have to watch that slow mo rag doll crap every time you use V.A.T.S.. I would rather not to use it and play game as a FPS, which it is basically.

The game is pretty lengthy, which is excellent. You can choose to rush through the main story (which in itself is quite short) if you wish, but you’re unlikely to want to do that. The main sub-quests really work alongside the main quest, enhancing the story and revealing more about life before and after the war.

The game is lenghty, if you like masokism or are half brain dead and actually like this game, if you don't and aren't you will stop before become one. Main story is laughable short and it is like from old crappy B movies. Sub-quests are more or less go somewhere do something come back. In other words very very repetitive and short. Don't worry tho. The all-knowing compass(tm) will help you with those quest and even if you aren't even on first grade in school you will find no challenge in those quests.

That said, the RPG elements are well executed, the open world is ambitious (giving you the freedom to explore, whilst at the same time giving you a clear direction and not leaving you to wander aimlessly), and the post-apocalyptic setting is great.

That said, the RPG elements are there just for show. No matter what you pick because you will always be jack of all trades. Only stat that does really something is strenght and it affects how much you can carry. Others do not really affect anything that you would really need. You can get all the skills up to 100 with no problem. There are just way too much incredible skills buffing bobbleheads and magazines.

(Hey ya...)

...Okay, that was pretty funny.

BxN said:
I don't know if I'm the only one, but I feel like most of the scores given are just taken from metacritic or gamerankings.

Completely unture. Personally I refuse to look at Metacritics score when reveiwing a game since it could potentially bias me.

Check out the VGC Crunch this Podcast and Blog at www.tsnetcast.com

Hold on a second...you think VGC reviews aren't hard enough? Have you seen the scores for games like Halo 3?

Around the Network

I think vgc needs another reviewer for xbox 360 games

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:

Believe it or not, that's me.

I just need more games.

Give me all your money, Kirby. Or your games. I'll take either.

Khuutra said:
kirby007 said:

I just need more games.

Just get Gamefly, Khuutra.

super_etecoon said:
Khuutra said:
kirby007 said:

I just need more games.

Do they even have Gamefly in Canada?

Khuutra said:
super_etecoon said:
Khuutra said:
kirby007 said:

I just need more games.

Do they even have Gamefly in Canada?

Oh....hmmm...not sure.