By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A State of the Union for the Playstation 3

This has been a weird thread to go through

All hail the KING, Andrespetmonkey

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:

---

We also make up conditions as to why certain didn't meet expectations(ie: "sold well for a new IP" or "sold well for February" ect.)

---

Sony has decided to no longer support 3rd party exclusive games, instead concentrating on its first and second party party, admittedly western-centric titles, at cost to Sony fans, with profits as a motive. This is in stark contrast to the gamer-centric strategy of Sony's main competition. The Lost and the Damned, for instance, is a AAA loss likely due directly to Sony's cheapness.

This has also led to the loss of every major 3rd party Playstation brand associated game, from DMC to FFXIII, to Tekken, as well as a wealth of DLC

---

This whole thread is a beautiful snapshot of VGC life. From Zen's opening rant to Starcraft's attempt to play 'wingman' to him, from Khuutra's lengthy rebuttal to the general nonsense everywhere in between. It's like a nature show.

I've chosen just these 2 points because I don't want to lose my day to discussing this.

Firstly, these 'conditions' you paint as mere excuses for supposedly underperforming software are most often perfectly legitimate. For example, "good for a February launch" is patently fair - if Killzone 2 had been a holiday title, it would unquestionably have sold more copies. The problem I think stems from the fact that pre-release, the big activity is hyping a game up and the big omission is not reflecting more on what obstacles stand in the way, e.g. quiet release month. If it were discussed beforehand what potential pitfalls might obstruct a title's success, then perhaps it wouldn't grate so much when post-release everyone finally gets around to acknowledging said pitfalls.

As for your second point, I entirely disagree; I feel that, if anything, it was a smart move rather than a mistake from Sony. Firstly, they anticipated in advance the shift towards third party multiplatform releases due to the great cost of producing titles for an HD console. Secondly, they acknowledged both their policy of not purchasing exclusives and by contrast the depth of Microsoft's pockets for just such an activity. Therefore they bit the bullet, accepting that losing their stranglehold on formerly third party Playstation-associated (and in some cases, exclusive) franchises was an inevitability, and went full steam in the opposite direction, fortifying their relations with second parties and tasking each internal studio with creating or expanding first party franchises in order to secure for the not-too-distant future a steady sequence of releases and to ensure the diversification of the PS3's software portfolio.

@wholikeswood

Yes, lol, but you see, ALL "damage control" has a point. Just because a reason is perfectly legitimate, doesn't mean it also isn't complete and utter damage control. Unbiased people generally determine things by an end result, rather than looking at the excuses. Mario Kart Wii sold well for a kart racing game, but see, that's just a needless condition. Did it sell well for a AAA exclusive? Yes. Fuck the rest.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

WOW, I'm surprised at the vastness of this thread, let's see if I can get a few rebuttals going here.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

I'm just posting so I can find it again tomorrow

Around the Network
Smashed said:
1: Poor support? Just look at japan, ps3, and the RPG's it has.. The 360 couldn't pull off those numbers, ever.

2: The 360 has lost exclusive's to playstation aswell, god forbid Playstation loses some to 360. And lost and the damned?.. Err no thanks (wouldn't buy it anyways).

3: I could care LESS what place it's in, PS3 being in last place has had literally NO affect what-so-ever to me, they are still bringing me the games I love.

4: Sony learned from their mistake, mad because poor?

5: Quality > Quantity, enough said.

6: PSN is better imo, i'm one of the few who fail to see why XBL is so superior, and PSN is free.

7: Okay?

You are without a doubt the most completely and utterly biased person in this thread. I laugh at your attempt to dissuade my arguments. I see nothing to rebute, besides biased opinion.

You might look at the OP and see the same thing, though, so who am I to argue.

Trust me when I tell you, this isn't about opinions. You aren't kidding anyone. You may believe the things you've said, but most of us don't. You are colored by bias, and even if you accuse me of the same thing, with yourself, you've left no doubt.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Max King of the Wild said:
you know i change my mind ill just tear you op up then never enter the thread again.

first line - where the fuck did you get that from? is it at all possible that for the longest time peoples have genuinly enjoyed the console and has this crazy thought cross your mind... people think mgs4, uncharted 2, lbp > halo 3 gears of war and viva pinata? heaven forbid people have different tates.

second paragraph - yes everyone thought it was shit from the start no one liked it from the begining /sarcasm

who the hell cares how fans want to act. its a non issue. you guys whinning about it is worse.

A - oh dear lord people get excited UNACCEPTABLE WE NEED MORE PROZAC PEOPLE SHOULDNT SHOW EMOTION! is it at all possible that these people are happy because for the last 2 years people were rubbing their face in the sales and claimed superiority and it all might cease now?

B - so? again why does it matter people see a good game sell?? funny you are probabally thinking 'because 360 has sold...' and that the attitude i just commented about always having to compare the 360 to the ps3 to claim superiority to try and belittle people for showing excitment when it really shouldnt matter.

C - this brings me back to peoples taste in games... it cant be because the genuinly think its one of the best. you also have to realize that the people saying this can only say it about games theyve played. so there very well might be a better game out there but if they havent played it it cant be better.

D - oh wow... i really dont think anyone flames multiplats just because they are multiplats. you just putting words in peoples mouthes just like that not meeting expectations bulkshit. when me and zexen confronted the trolls for saying kz2 didnt meet sales expectations we provided facts that it exceeded them. out of about 80 people average first week expectations were about 690k. there were more people expecting less than 500k than there were expecting over 1 million. we had to put up with that same bullshit with lbp launch when most expectations were in the 2 - 4 mil range (already over 2) and r2 launch when most expectations were r1 type sales (can sell 0 copies in 5 months and still be on track with r1)

1 - how is ms paying for exclusives sonys fault? and the highest jrpg is under 800k... jrpgs are a non event this gen so far.

copy what ajhab said but include how sony will end up outselling some first place consoles while finishing in 3rd which has never happened for4 and your basing facts on opinions for5

OMFG, you really tore me up.

lol, yeah, maybe I'm an asshole. Maybe I'm a bitter prick. Maybe I'm the most pathetic excuse for a troll ever to set foot in the VGChartz forums. None of that, however, stops me from being absolutely right.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Khuutra said:
To begin.
ZenFoldorVGI said:

It seems to me that, for far too long, we've been getting very excited about the prospect of this console "not sucking."
Not so. This creates the false expectation that up to this point the Playstation 3 has "sucked", not only to its detractors but to the people who support it.

This topic doesn't actually have any message to it, no single cohesive thread of logic that binds it all together. This is a bunch of disassociated statements of barely tenable quality or accuracy whose only relation to each other is that they're meant to rile people up.

2 things.

Your first paragraph. The PS3 did "suck" for the first year. It had virtually no good exclusives, BR had very little content, it cost $599 dollars, and its generally accepted that the console had performed very poorly. MGS4 was a huge turning point. The console most certainly did "suck" early on, and I've be interested to hear your arguments as to why it didn't.

Your final paragraph. This topic was clearly labled as a State of the Union. The real state of the PS3, not the hyped one. Yes, it pisses every Sony fan off, who would rather live by some inflated overhyped lie, as to how "great and infallable" their console is. Unless you didn't know, many people are loving this thread, including myself, and I thought it was just grand.

If you don't like it, I could give a shit, btw. It's the way things are mostly(imho), and you'd be hard up to find a more valid opinion on this forum.

Degrading my thread in every way possible doesn't make it cease to be, and it doesn't lessen or marginalize my studied opinion. On the contrary, posters like you, attempting to guise their flaming with "intelligent commentary" do me more good than harm. You are the ones I made this for. Enjoy it. If you think I'm strong when I'm battling the whole forum, you should see my power concentrated on just one poster.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Bokal said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
City17 said:
The PS3 may not suck but I cannot find myself able to say the same about this thread...

The thread tells the truth, or at least my version of it. I fully expected it to piss everyone off, or at least those who would rather enjoy a pretty lie.

I could care less what you think. Post constructively or move on.

I think his post was much more constructive than you OP.

I'm done with reading further. This was BS.

lol, it's never been lain out like this before. I know it's angering, but in the end, most of us will have to face how this turned out. Spin dies in the pages of history. There is no hurry.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

nen-suer said:
Yet another angry jelous fanboy thats sad he dont have a PS3

BTW: there can only be one winner (and that's Nintendo for now)

I have a PS3. It's a good console.

NO NO, NO NO NO.