By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A State of the Union for the Playstation 3

starcraft said:
Khuutra said:
The unformatted text will format itself when you post. If it doesn't, just press edit and then save changes without saving anything.

The issue isn't with how it presents to you, it is with how it presents to me.  I am literally staring at a massive wall of text that is impossible to make sense of without an hour of concentration.  Which given I never took issue with your post, is a little too much.

thats how it is with me too. but im on my ps3. thats why i dont copy and paste anymore. try quoting him then when the wall of text appears push the cancel load button on the tool bar. it might snap it into the other from

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:

It seems to me that, for far too long, we've been getting very excited about the prospect of this console "not sucking."

This part sums up the issue.  Glorying in not sucking is not as formula for winning.  Taking every single good game and trying to make it out to be all that, reeks of being from behind.  This tends to happen in videogame discussion forums like this.  The talk reminds me of what I saw among Atari Jaguar owners on the Internet (Usenet), and even Sega owners on the Usenet Sega newsgroups.  Games like Tempest 2000 were made out by Jaguar fans to be a killer app, that would make a difference.  Yes Tempest 2000 is GREAT (I believe the best implementation), but not a killer app that drove people to buy.  On the Saturn, Nights was hyped up.  And the beat goes on.  It is the hopes from behind being blown way out of proportion.

richardhutnik said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

It seems to me that, for far too long, we've been getting very excited about the prospect of this console "not sucking."

This part sums up the issue.  Glorying in not sucking is not as formula for winning.  Taking every single good game and trying to make it out to be all that, reeks of being from behind.  This tends to happen in videogame discussion forums like this.  The talk reminds me of what I saw among Atari Jaguar owners on the Internet (Usenet), and even Sega owners on the Usenet Sega newsgroups.  Games like Tempest 2000 were made out by Jaguar fans to be a killer app, that would make a difference.  Yes Tempest 2000 is GREAT (I believe the best implementation), but not a killer app that drove people to buy.  On the Saturn, Nights was hyped up.  And the beat goes on.  It is the hopes from behind being blown way out of proportion.

I would have said "improving" instead of "not sucking", which would explain the "issue"

Rainbird said:
richardhutnik said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

I would have said "improving" instead of "not sucking", which would explain the "issue"

I would go with "improving" but then it would be "improving from what", and that would then mean "sucking"?  I would be hard pressed to say the PS3 position has even been in a "sucking" position.  It had been disappointing.  So, I left it as "not sucking".  Glorying in the fact you aren't sucking isn't winning.  And I will say the PS3 position was never as bad as the Jaguar or Saturn positions.  It did have moments where it had hovered around it (thus you get everything hyped), but not all that bad.  The PS3 did get enough 3rd party sign on to hold serve.  But, it isn't winning.

And this fanboy talk goes all over the place.  The 360 saw some to.  Viva Pinata and others get hyped up as end all and be all.  Oh, and I can go on with Halo also.  It happens.  What I don't think you see much, is this being done with the Wii, outside of The Conduit on here (Guys, can you tone it down just a little?  High Def console owners don't care you have a FPS for your system.  Let's hope you enjoy it, but it doesn't look like it will even approximate Killzone 2 on the graphics front, or Gears of War 2 either).

Wow, lets study the behavior of PS3 fanboys over the internet and write a ten paragraph essay about it. Some of you people need to go outside once in a while.

Around the Network
SlumsofOhio said:
Wow, lets study the behavior of PS3 fanboys over the internet and write a ten paragraph essay about it. Some of you people need to go outside once in a while.

I would, but I am out of work at this time.  Anyhow, I believe fanboys should be studied.  I am allergic to them, so if anyone can find a cure, it would be helpful.

richardhutnik said:
Rainbird said:
richardhutnik said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:

I would go with "improving" but then it would be "improving from what", and that would then mean "sucking"?  I would be hard pressed to say the PS3 position has even been in a "sucking" position.  It had been disappointing.  So, I left it as "not sucking".  Glorying in the fact you aren't sucking isn't winning.  And I will say the PS3 position was never as bad as the Jaguar or Saturn positions.  It did have moments where it had hovered around it (thus you get everything hyped), but not all that bad.  The PS3 did get enough 3rd party sign on to hold serve.  But, it isn't winning.

And this fanboy talk goes all over the place.  The 360 saw some to.  Viva Pinata and others get hyped up as end all and be all.  Oh, and I can go on with Halo also.  It happens.  What I don't think you see much, is this being done with the Wii, outside of The Conduit on here (Guys, can you tone it down just a little?  High Def console owners don't care you have a FPS for your system.  Let's hope you enjoy it, but it doesn't look like it will even approximate Killzone 2 on the graphics front, or Gears of War 2 either).

Oh, I agree! It certainly isn't winning, but the OP complained about the excitement of PS3 fanboys over reaching a "not sucking" state, when you could in fact replace "not sucking" with "improving" and the whole issue would have explained it self.

Rainbird said:

Oh, I agree! It certainly isn't winning, but the OP complained about the excitement of PS3 fanboys over reaching a "not sucking" state, when you could in fact replace "not sucking" with "improving" and the whole issue would have explained it self.

When dealing with a fanboy hot-button area, I place little faith having an issue explain itself.  If an issue were an entity that was sentient and could react, it would likely go for weapons to do mayhem as people attempt to twist it.

Ok, the middle ground appears to be that Sony fans are happy that the PS3 has improved from a sucking state.  Wow, that sounds horrible, but I will go with it

richardhutnik said:
Rainbird said:

When dealing with a fanboy hot-button area, I place little faith having an issue explain itself.  If an issue were an entity that was sentient and could react, it would likely go for weapons to do mayhem as people attempt to twist it.

Ok, the middle ground appears to be that Sony fans are happy that the PS3 has improved from a sucking state.  Wow, that sounds horrible, but I will go with it

Haha, yeah xP

Baggins said:

VGchartz don't deserve you lol.

You put it all in a fair and balanced way, basically saying how it is with no opinion of your own put in....

Am I the only one who read this and thought immediately of what a true-blue conservative thinks of Fox News? You even used their slogan! Haha

They still don't like it.

Panic not though, the people who aren't fanboys agree with practically everything you have said.

I'm surprised nobody picked up on this comment. Presumptuous much?

More on topic, I'm going to take the easy road and generally agree with what both AjHabfan and Khuutra have said.

However, I do agree with Zenfoldor on several issues, namely JRPG's, price point and, consequently, blu-ray. As much as I love blu-ray, it was a huge detriment to the PS3 by including it. Who knows, maybe it may pay off in the long run but it undoubtedly affected the systems sales as well as the quantity of games so far.