By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - A State of the Union for the Playstation 3

First of all, Zen, I love your posts. You tend to bring a lot of hate down on yourself, but you're totally right. My Xbox 360 is the first console I've owned since the SNES. Before the SNES and NES I was a PC gamer and in between the SNES and the 360 I was a PC gamer. It killed me to go back to consoles, but after becoming a dad I couldn't justify the time and money involved with PCs anymore. That being said, I'm a console gamer more out of necessity. I don't feel like fussing with my PC so much anymore, but I HAVE to game on something. So I picked the cheaper and more common-among-my-friends console on the market. Other than that, I have no emotional attachment to the 360. And if the 360 ended up being in third place, I honestly wouldn't care. I am always so backed up on games I haven't finished yet, I will never run out of things to play.

So I feel I'm looking at what you're saying without the fanboy goggles on, and you are absolutely right. The PS3 doesn't suck, and I would love to have one just for Little Big Planet and a couple of other games, but the fact is that the console is too expensive and BluRay doesn't appeal to me one bit. We have now officially entered the age of on demand HD movie content, either via PayPerView, streaming Netflix, Xbox Live, PSN, whatever you prefer. There are some people out there who like collecting movies and owning as many as they can, so there is a necessity for movies to be on discs, but not nearly as much as there used to be. If you don't collect movies for the sake of collecting them, who needs a BluRay player? (And yes, I know people are going to argue that you have a limited window to watch pay per view movies. To those people, I say "Get a DVR. Problem solved.")

And finally, to those of you who think that PSN is free...........indirectly, it's really not: http://g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/694179/Sony-Charging-Publishers-to-Host-DLC-Uh-Oh.html

Sony may not be charging you for online services that Xbox Live does charge you for, but they are charging the developers for things that they shouldn't be, therefore possibly discouraging them from adding content to PSN. Furthermore, I think if anything, NXE has caused a decrease in how many ads I feel that I'm seeing on the dashboard (The blades were more ad friendly, and on NXE I feel like I rarely see an ad at all) while I think that if/when HOME finally hits its prime, it will be a major ad-fest. There will be whole rooms on HOME that are just big giant ads. It may be free to go in, but I encourage you not to fall for it.

Anyway, just some observations. I don't hate the PS3. I wouldn't turn down a free one, and if it were $100 cheaper at the beginning I may have even considered buying one instead of a 360. I wouldn't have minded if they had to leave out the BluRay or the backwards compatibility to decrease the cost. I just want to play games.

Around the Network

@Soriku: The problem with wannabe PS3 gangsters is that they forgot about DRE.

Good album, I suggest you look it up.

Tease.

Khuuta, to be honest sir or madam, I didn't read your first post. I didn't create this topic for serious debate, in all honesty. You are a very persistent poster. You are using an age old baiting technique, trying to trap me into a serious argument spiteful words, where my OP will immediately be diminished by simple and unimportant clarifications. I was you, once.

You are doing a few things that are absolutely atrocious, however, and the first is consistently insulting my grammar. The last refuge of a scoundrel is to deflate and attempt to publicity humiliate an opponent in a debate by addressing their verbage. You know that is out of bounds bullshit sir or madam, and it's also a shameful admission of inadequacy when addressing the true content of an opposing viewpoint(but according to you, my viewpoint completely out of my ass, and shouldn't exist, for the most part).

In this case you're using my adequate grammar as bait and it worked, so it doesn't totally destroy our discussion, but cut that shit out now or I will put you on ignore and you and I both know you'd never get over that little insult, because I know you. I carry your heart with me.

As for your questionss, I will glance back over them.

You wrote this:

"You came in here to say that the Playstation doesn't suck, but it isn't fantastic like everyone lieks to pretend. The reason for this is that Sony has abandoned the gamers, and you have somehow equated business decisions concerning the penetration of new hardware with a moral scale which precludes using one piece of technology as a Trojan horse for another, which is exactly what the PS2 was, too."

You are exactly right, I say, without pointing out your typos and poking fun of your dialect, clothes, and checking account balance in the process. It is perfectly true, and as valid as any other opinion. This thread is an opinion piece, btw.

Next, you implied that I was stealth trolling, and that the opinion piece was specifically meant to piss Sony fanboys off. You assume, at your peril sir.

You then imply that I can't have it both ways. Opinion and generally accepted truths are mutually exclusive. Well, sir, I'm a realist. I'm not arguing using an ideology. I'm attempting to speak to an audience on what exactly the current state of the gaming industry is, and if I delve into two different dimensions of the human psyche, then that is no reason to pointlessly flame me. You are angry, you simply show it differently. Your icy approach to flaming mirror's my fire and fury. When the fire in me, meets the ice in you, what could be left but wet ashes?

On the degree of PS3 fan celebration, I hold no sway over that. Take my advice or not. I give it freely. Implying, once again, that my post is about Sony fandom and its evils is missing the point, and you know it.

Next, you ignorantly claimed that since my opinion isn't based in fact, that it ceases to be a valid opinion. That is incorrect. Opinions are very seldom based in fact. If they were, they would be fact. As for the majority of my OP, it was actually very valid and based around what are imo, commonly held assumptions(let me stop a minute and comment on how you've changed the discussion from specifics to my general behavior, which is a great move, but wouldn't help you in a real debate). You are simply focusing on the parts of the OP you find to be weak, rather than the strong bits, which revolve around Blu-Ray, and then the probable inability of the console to finish in second place this generation. As for my opinion, I think it is quite astute, but you've proven the type of debater who would go out of your way to attack your opponent's IQ instead of their content, so I'll leave my ego in check for this single post.

As for your flaming, granted it is passive-aggressive, but it is much more apparent than the flaming you implied my OP was filled with.

For the record, I DID make this OP for you. Perhaps I mis-spoke, perhaps not, but my meaning was obviously misunderstood. I didn't mean I made this for PS3 defenders, fanboys, or owners. I meant I made it for the forum police. I made it for people who would not have such ugly things said outloud. I made it for the people it would piss off, and you certainly personify that poster. I made it for you. It always was.

To be honest, it just seems like you're trying to use misdirection and verbage to marginalize a thread that is chock-full of valid and obvious points, which is as we both know, exactly what you are doing. You might dazzle your choir with large words and insignificant quips about my grammar, but you shame yourself with your performance, which is a shame. You are capable of much more. You're smart, I'll give you that, but you're imprecise. You would kill a gnat with a hammer, and you lose your meaning in lengthy and unnecessary baiting tactics. No offense intended, but if I don't impress you as a debater, then you probably don't know what to look for.

Feel free to try again, but this time, start all the way over. Don't focus on pages ago retorts you thought were good, that no one read. You have the power to defeat me, you just don't have the strength.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Soriku said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
outlawauron said:
I see you keep talking about how Sony needs more JRPGs, as a gamer I agree.

But outside of Pokemon, JRPGs have been shunned by the West.

I hate the damn west. That's real.

Me too D:< But outlaw totally forgot FF and KH and Paper Mario >.>

lulz, the Wii has great jrpg's this gen. Radiant Dawn, SPM, Tales. Those games were all great, imo. Radiant Dawn bests Valkyria for me this gen and that's saying a lot.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Zen, before I reply again:

Are you for real? Really, really for real? Do you honestly believe the things you say, especially about yourself?

Around the Network
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Khuutra said:

If you think I'm strong when I'm battling the whole forum, you should see my power concentrated on just one poster.

Every time I read this sentence, I picture you clutching your mouse and I think of Dr. Octopus in Spiderman 2 holding the fission ball in his hand and saying, "the power of the sun... in the palm of my hand". In other words, I think you took the ego trip one step too far with that one-liner.

You didn't leave any thoughts in return to my second paragraph on this page. I won't take that as confirmation that I'm correct since you probably do have a rebuttal for it, but it would be nice if you'd let me know either way.

I suspect that the PS3's poor start is an eternal thorn in the paw for many Sony supporters and consciousness of such a poor start causes them to show exaggerated anticipation for incoming titles, which subsequently results in the bubble-bursting phenomenon when said titles only sell realistic levels rather than enormous levels. Then they are forced to check themselves with what you refer to as 'conditions' which, while they may be legitimate, still irk you for the fact that they exist at all.

What I've just described is life on VGC. I don't see it changing. I'm not going to tell you to "get used to it", since your post count suggests to me that you are, and that this thread, rather than an attempt to change the system, is merely a manifestation of the dialogue that runs through your head everytime you log in here.

Khuutra said:
Zen, before I reply again:

Are you for real? Really, really for real? Do you honestly believe the things you say, especially about yourself?

Oh god yes bro. There ain't no foldor like the Zen-foldor.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

wholikeswood said:
ZenfoldorVGI said:
Khuutra said:

If you think I'm strong when I'm battling the whole forum, you should see my power concentrated on just one poster.

Every time I read this sentence, I picture you clutching your mouse and I think of Dr. Octopus in Spiderman 2 holding the fission ball in his hand and saying, "the power of the sun... in the palm of my hand". In other words, I think you took the ego trip one step too far with that one-liner.

You didn't leave any thoughts in return to my second paragraph on this page. I won't take that as confirmation that I'm correct since you probably do have a rebuttal for it, but it would be nice if you'd let me know either way.

I suspect that the PS3's poor start is an eternal thorn in the paw for many Sony supporters and consciousness of such a poor start causes them to show exaggerated anticipation for incoming titles, which subsequently results in the bubble-bursting phenomenon when said titles only sell realistic levels rather than enormous levels. Then they are forced to check themselves with what you refer to as 'conditions' which, while they may be legitimate, still irk you for the fact that they exist at all.

What I've just described is life on VGC. I don't see it changing. I'm not going to tell you to "get used to it", since your post count suggests to me that you are, and that this thread, rather than an attempt to change the system, is merely a manifestation of the dialogue that runs through your head everytime you log in here.

LOL, you got it! Bingo!

The powa of the sun, in the palm of my hand!

NO NO, NO NO NO.

@Khuutra

I'm hungry, let's put this on hold, or just end it. Nobody is reading but you and I, at this point.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

ZenfoldorVGI said:
@Khuutra

I'm hungry, let's put this on hold, or just end it. Nobody is reading but you and I, at this point.

What about the wannabe PS3 gangsters who forgot about DRE?

Tease.