By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 50% market share thread

5/6 weeks at 48.9% and it drops .01%. Week is not over yet.

Around the Network

back to 48.9%, I have hope that it will reach 49% in two weeks.

^Well, the 2.26 mill deficit is restored here. The Wii needs a decent booster game in Japan, since that made all the difference the same period last year.

My collection of guides on GameFAQs: Read them here

My latest guide on GameFAQs, for Little King's Story! Read it here 

Funny thing is if wii had 200% market share I probably would not notice.
I mean I just took the batteries out of my daughters second controller so they would not leak.
I am not lying about that as the other controller had to be thrown out because the batteries leaked in it.

reask said:
Funny thing is if wii had 200% market share I probably would not notice.
I mean I just took the batteries out of my daughters second controller so they would not leak.
I am not lying about that as the other controller had to be thrown out because the batteries leaked in it.

And this is relevant because...?

Around the Network

What happened to Sony? Instead of making another Playstation they tried to make an Xbox (and failed).

numonex said:

So we hear about  Nintendo's Wii soon reaching 50% market share in 7th generation console wars against its arch enemies Microsoft's XBox 360 and last by no means least Sony's PS3.

Wii will eat up the market share and close in on 60%+ market share at the expense of both PS3 and X360 losing more ground on the runaway express train that is Nintendo's Wii.

People already had champagne ready for big celebration of 50% Wii market share after Christmas and then real world numbers came. Imho it will strugle to reach 50% this year (maybe in holiday season) and 60% will be more or less unreachable considering we will sooner or later see PS3 price drop.

PROUD MEMBER OF THE PSP RPG FAN CLUB

Right now believing in a 60% marketshare for the Wii is about as optimistic (and realistic) as the now infamous 60 million by year end 2008.

A $100-150 price on the Wii is about the only thing that will see a significant jump in percentages, which won't happen until sales hit at least two plateaus and production outstrips demand.

Reliance upon killer apps for the Wii you say? Due to the differences in markets, most games for the Wii tend not to be front loaded which has the double edged effect of not moving an excess of consoles during a launch, contrary to front loaded big releases on other platforms. Kart, Wii Fit and Brawl are among the few titles that buck this trend and there are no forthcoming titles announced yet guaranteed to be added to this top of the charts list. Not Zelda, not Metroid and not Mario, which have all had appearances this generation already. Wii Music doesn't even merit a mention, but since some actually thought it would be Nintendo's next huge hit...

To put it simply, barring any other Wii Fit type game that "reinvents" user interface and the common perception of what games can be to the mass consumer, there won't be any games that move a significantly greater number of consoles than normal.

Wii Sports Resort/Motion Plus, while theoretically delivering what many gamers thought they were getting with the original Wii Remote, won't matter significantly to those still sitting on the fence for the purchase of a Wii. Most won't be able to tell the difference between the Resort Motion Plus experience and the "now obsolete" Wii Sports experience.

Most Wii owners still haven't figured out that the Wii currently doesn't have actual 1:1 motion controls or what that even means. Virtually all don't even care barring the very small minority who feel hoodwinked by the as of yet unrealized initial promise of the Wii experience (ie. light saber duels in real space - Wii Kendo).

It is however, guaranteed to sell like Wii Play in that almost everyone who bought a Wii enjoyed Wii Sports.

And it's looking like that 50% number that most (myself included) predicted would happen by the end of Q1 2009 hasn't happened, and may not happen during Q2 either (which just about everyone else predicted).

But for all intents and purposes, Nintendo has half the console market, and despite that, there have been no additional benefits to Nintendo gamers who have no more leading edge titles than they did when everyone rushed to jump onboard the Wii success story, mostly with quick titles of very dubious quality.