By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Extremely Long Cutscenes, What's your take?

Ignore double post.

Around the Network

I don't mind them as long as they're interesting. Which is rare, admittedly.

Xbox Gamertag: BrapRedHarvest PSN ID: Brap123

I generally don't mind cut scenes, but I do think they break the pace of the game and should be used with caution - the end of a level is a natural break-point, for example - and otherwise avoided as much as possible. Developers have tried shoe-horning "interactivity" into their more decadent use of cut scenes in the form of QTEs, but that's only a quick-fix and is still an intrusion compared to normal gameplay. Having moderate control over the camera like in Fable or DMC does not qualify as interactivity, either.

NightstrikerX said:

Well folks, lets have a discussion. Please, take a seat.

Today's Discussion is on Cutscenes. Cutscene's are a wonderful tool in a developer's arsenal. They often give a break to the action and allow the player to sit back and enjoy some development in a game's story, character development, comedic scenes, or amazing action scenes. However, if you've played Final Fantasy X, Metal Gear Solid 4, Star Ocean 4, or any other title that has really long cut-scenes. Don't you feel that it often feels like it drags the gameplay down to a screeching halt?

I recently bought Star Ocean 4, I've been enjoying the game. Action has been intense and enjoyable when it comes to battle. But near the end of the game, I was treated to a 36 minute cutscene. Holy smokes. That entirely broke up the action and I fell asleep to it, not that I missed anything. Watching it on youtube it was pretty much space combat, character drama, more space combat and... you guessed it. MORE space combat.

The worst part of it, is that 36 minutes is fairly minor in comparison to what some other games can offer.

Kinda bored me.

I play video games to PLAY them. Not to watch them.

Kinda ridicious if you ask me. But then again, thats me. What's your take on this VGChartz?

I love long cutscenes as long as they are in addition to the gameplay like a "treat!". That is how I see cutsceens.So...Star Ocean = greatbecause it's got loads of gameplay tooMGS4 = crapbecause the cutsceens are the gameplay

I like actually playing the games. Throwing down a half a bag of corn chips to pass the time before I get to play again is not my idea of fun. If this is what I wanted, I'd be watching a movie instead.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Around the Network

I don't mind them as long as they're not over 5 minutes. Some of the examples a few of you mentioned are unacceptable. The only long scene I want might be at the end of the game. I don't even want an overly long in the begining of the game. A game with a lot of cut scenes that I thought was done right was RE4.

Which brings me to my question. I saw the acronym "QTE" listed a lot. Does that stand for "quick time event" similar to a few of the cut scenes in RE4? If so, done like that, I enjoy them. It keeps me focused during the cut scene.

One thing I don't care for in cut scenes is if I have to read the dialog. That's not much of an issue nowadays although I think it still takes place in Nintendo games. I don't mind if it's a little dialog but I don't feel like having to read sentence after sentence, paragraph after paragraph for 10 minutes or more. If I did, I'd grab a book rather than a game.

I'll come up with something better eventually...

coasterlove said:
I don't mind them as long as they're not over 5 minutes. Some of the examples a few of you mentioned are unacceptable. The only long scene I want might be at the end of the game. I don't even want an overly long in the begining of the game. A game with a lot of cut scenes that I thought was done right was RE4.

Which brings me to my question. I saw the acronym "QTE" listed a lot. Does that stand for "quick time event" similar to a few of the cut scenes in RE4? If so, done like that, I enjoy them. It keeps me focused during the cut scene.

One thing I don't care for in cut scenes is if I have to read the dialog. That's not much of an issue nowadays although I think it still takes place in Nintendo games. I don't mind if it's a little dialog but I don't feel like having to read sentence after sentence, paragraph after paragraph for 10 minutes or more. If I did, I'd grab a book rather than a game.

That's exactly what they mean.  During gameplay, QTE isn't such a bad thing.  However, in cutscenes, it is often(not always) a bad way to implement intertactivity in otherwise non interactive cutscenes.  I don't hate cutscenes but if you want interactivity in cutscenes, developers should atleast do it right.

Some games do it right, but some games don't.

I never felt like MGS4 had too long cutscenes, they felt like they were just what they needed to be.

But Assassin's Creed had too many gamebreaking cutscenes to make them enjoyable. Too much pure talk and too little relevance.

KylieDog said:
Depends on the content of cutscenes.

MGS4 cutscenes were how not to do long cutscenes. They were repetitive tripe simply re-worded for each new scene too many times, sometimes going as far to re-word and repeat itself in the same scene.

MGS4 also suffered from being flashy for the sake of being flashy, and served no real purpose. Example the Raiden/Vamp fight, went on for far too long and we didn't really need see it to advance the plot, could have easily just shown the start and the end of it.

Cutscene/gameplay ratio should also never favour cut scenes, in any game, ever.

Would you mind if the ratio between cutscenes and gameplay was 1:1 or is that still too much for you?  That's fine for me when the game is primarily story-driven.  What do you consider an acceptable cutscene to gameplay ratio for a story driven game?

depends on the game. Metal Gear Solid was awesome. It was self aware of the fact that it had a lot of long cutscenes and allowed you to pause them easily (like a movie) and stuff... i really thought that whole game as a experience was awesome, and i wouldn't trade it for more gameplay and less cutscene..

Check out my game about moles ^