By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Take2 Exec: GTA IV sales breakdown per platform are 50/50

Maybe hes talking about Shipped?

Around the Network
Arcturus said:
Nik24 said:
Well, keep in mind there's a PC-Version.
So he's probably refering to XBox360/Pc+PS3 (50/50)

I think you're correct. Edward Williams was referring to the addressable market for the DLC when he asked about the ratio of units sold on the 360 platform. Therefore, the 50/50 ratio probably means 360/(PS3+PC).

Lainie Goldstein

50/50 over both, right.

No mention of a thrird platform so i have to assume only PS3.

Doubt it.

EDIT: Just checked our numbers. If our amount of total units sold are correct, a 54-46 breakdown would be in favour of the 360 by ~1.250.000 units. (which is possible)

In other words it's unlikely that the PS3 version sold more than 6 million units and our numbers could be very good.

Nik24 said:
Well, keep in mind there's a PC-Version.
So he's probably refering to XBox360/Pc+PS3 (50/50)

Except the PC version JUST came out in December.....yeah, that boosted it to 50/50.

I guess no one can ever get over the fact that America =/= the world

Oh come on.

"Approximately 50/50?" He just didn't want to start a shitstorm.

It's one of the biggest games in the world and one we must receive an enormous amount of data for. Brett didn't screw it up that badly.

The TT exec was just being diplomatic.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Oh come on.

It's one of the biggest games in the world and one we must receive an enormous amount of data for. Brett didn't screw it up that badly.

He didnt want to get flamed by Fanboys,and we know which fanboys those would be.

antfromtashkent said:
Wow... so DLC dint do much for MS... that actually is very surprising.... i would love to see the numbers if the DLC was not exclucive to MS

Not sure where you got that from: the whole text seems to imply that Take 2 expects it be pretty profitable, on TOP of the royalites MS will recieve...here's a couple of quotes to back that up (no more cherry-picked than the op, so figured it was ok):

"With The Lost and Damned we set new benchmarks for innovation and made significant contributions to the evolution of this high margin platform. The digital distribution of such a substantial piece of content is a new opportunity for us, and we're pleased with the profitability of this product and believe that downloadable content will continue to be an important part of our business going forward."

"Well, as we've mentioned before, JT, we can't go into too many specifics due to the confidentiality of the agreement, but we can tell you generally that we'll be recognizing some deferred revenue and it will be paired with some capitalized software amortization and some associated marketing expenses. And the title will also be subject to the new Rockstar royalty plan and any revenue we recognize from Microsoft will be net of any of their royalties."

They are saying it's 50/50 in the US which is just bullshit. NPD can prove it. They are simply being politically correct, that's all.

EDIT: here's the data:

Top 10 Games of Calendar Year 2008

1. Wii Play w/ remote - Wii – Nintendo – 5.28 million
2. Mario Kart Wii w/ wheel – Wii – Nintendo – 5.00 million
3. Wii Fit w/ balance board – Wii – Nintendo – 4.53 million
4. Super Smash Bros. Brawl - Wii – Nintendo – 4.17 million
5. Grand Theft Auto IV - Xbox 360 – Take-Two – 3.29 million*
6. Call of Duty: World at War - Xbox 360 – Activision – 2.75 million*
7. Gears of War 2 - Xbox 360 – Microsoft – 2.31 million*
8. Grand Theft Auto IV - PS3 – Take-Two – 1.89 million*
9. Madden NFL '09 - Xbox 360 – Electronic Arts – 1.87 million*
10. Mario Kart - DS – Nintendo – 1.65 million

source

Currently playing on PS3: God of War III

Currently playing on Xbox360: Final Fantasy XIII

Currently playing on NDS: Chrono Trigger

starcraft said:
Oh come on.

Well, I guess whenever reps from a company talk about sales of their games, I shouldn't listen to what they say and just make my own inferences

Edit: And it is possible for Brett to "screw up". See: Iron Man PS2 debacle.....

TRios_Zen said:
antfromtashkent said:
Wow... so DLC dint do much for MS... that actually is very surprising.... i would love to see the numbers if the DLC was not exclucive to MS

Not sure where you got that from: the whole text seems to imply that Take 2 expects it be pretty profitable, on TOP of the royalites MS will recieve...here's a couple of quotes to back that up (no more cherry-picked than the op, so figured it was ok):

"With The Lost and Damned we set new benchmarks for innovation and made significant contributions to the evolution of this high margin platform. The digital distribution of such a substantial piece of content is a new opportunity for us, and we're pleased with the profitability of this product and believe that downloadable content will continue to be an important part of our business going forward."

"Well, as we've mentioned before, JT, we can't go into too many specifics due to the confidentiality of the agreement, but we can tell you generally that we'll be recognizing some deferred revenue and it will be paired with some capitalized software amortization and some associated marketing expenses. And the title will also be subject to the new Rockstar royalty plan and any revenue we recognize from Microsoft will be net of any of their royalties."

i meant in terms of the sales numbers of the original GTA IV  PS3 v 360