By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Could It Be Sony Were Bang On With The 10 Year Plan?

@Reask the PS3 has other problems to deal with. Sony doesn't own the I.P to the CPU/GPU and must always pay royalties for their use. For this reason the PS3 can never be as cheap as the Xbox 360, because Microsoft has more options in terms of cutting costs and minimum system requirements.

Tease.

Around the Network
reask said:

NJ  PS2 has sold 140 mill to date so the brand name is there.

Xbox1 lasted 4 years and was dropped like a hot snot.

So when Sony say ten year plan you would tend to take them more seriously than MS.

It's not about brand name, it's about the fact that the lifetime of a console is largely determined by its success with customers (i.e. sales). Everything else is pretty much secondary.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Squilliam said:
@Reask the PS3 has other problems to deal with. Sony doesn't own the I.P to the CPU/GPU and must always pay royalties for their use. For this reason the PS3 can never be as cheap as the Xbox 360, because Microsoft has more options in terms of cutting costs and minimum system requirements.

So squill we are now depending on Sony been unable to cut prices?

Cmon lets be honest here  if thats all MS can depend on they are in trouble.

The Graphical Capabilities of the systme do not really matter in terms of sales, GC and Xbox were significantly better visually then the PS2. PS3 can have great graphics but its the sales that determine how long will this system be around

When the New Xbox comes out Sony will release their system, because it is obvious that 720 will be much more powerful then the PS3, and looking at third parties now they will want as equal console from SOny.

PS3 failed to gain momentum and like N64, GC and Saturn it will make way for another system in few years.

But i can see Wii selling until 2014+ it is a market leader after all.

darthdevidem01 said:
reask said:
darthdevidem01 said:
but isn't uncharted 2 using 100% of the PS3's power?

I dont recall reading that anywhere darth.

http://www.psu.com/Uncharted-2--Among-Thieves-to-use-100--of-PS3s-power--a0005698-p0.php

they say nealy 100%....but I was close

http://www.psu.com/LucasArts-plans-to-push-PS3360s-limits-with-Fracture--a0003127-p0.php

Never listen to a developer who says that. They are lying, joking, naive or unable to foresee the future.

But it's Naughty Dog, so I forgive them

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

Around the Network
Lolcislaw said:
The Graphical Capabilities of the systme do not really matter in terms of sales, GC and Xbox were significantly better visually then the PS2. PS3 can have great graphics but its the sales that determine how long will this system be around

When the New Xbox comes out Sony will release their system, because it is obvious that 720 will be much more powerful then the PS3, and looking at third parties now they will want as equal console from SOny.

PS3 failed to gain momentum and like N64, GC and Saturn it will make way for another system in few years.

But i can see Wii selling until 2014+ it is a market leader after all.

Listen to Butters above...he is wise with this post.

The 10 year plan will work somewhat, but Microsoft will slow it down by staying out just as long as them (and one day later to be exact).

Anyone who hasn't thought that Sony's ten year plan is console gaming reality is absolutely clueless about the economy. It is not going to recover in time for new consoles to launch in 2010, 2011, or even 2012 (though MS will probably try). We will be playing our current consoles for another 5+ years (except maybe Wii, which could be upgraded quite cheaply) simply because no one is going to be able to afford new ones for a long time.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

reask said:
Squilliam said:

So squill we are now depending on Sony been unable to cut prices?

Cmon lets be honest here  if thats all MS can depend on they are in trouble.

If Sony can price the PS3 @ $200 and Microsoft can price an Xbox 360 @$100-$120 incl 20gb flash drive who is the winner here long term?

Tease.

ChichiriMuyo said:
Anyone who hasn't thought that Sony's ten year plan is console gaming reality is absolutely clueless about the economy. It is not going to recover in time for new consoles to launch in 2010, 2011, or even 2012 (though MS will probably try). We will be playing our current consoles for another 5+ years (except maybe Wii, which could be upgraded quite cheaply) simply because no one is going to be able to afford new ones for a long time.

MS pushed back the launch expectancy of the 720. They are staying in this gen with Sony until one day after they give up the 10 year plan.