By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Could It Be Sony Were Bang On With The 10 Year Plan?

ChichiriMuyo said:
S.T.A.G.E. - A console's life isn't ended the moment its successor is launched. MS can support the 360 long after releasing the next system. A new system's launch only hastens the previous console's death. Sony still supports the PS2, MS doesn't continue to support the XBox. If you need to, take some time to meditate on those two facts before continuing to make such comments.

Bullshit! The PS2 still lives. The day the provider quits selling systems and providing games for their system is the day its over. Your theory has no weight.

Around the Network
BengaBenga said:
Not again.

The 10 year plan is a myth. Consumer demand decides a console life, not the manufacturer.

Without consumer demand retailers won't have your item on the shelf and 3rd parties won't make games anymore. And 3rd parties will probably switch to the new generation consoles as soon as they release.

Sony will need everything it has to make sure the PS4 will be a success, so they also won't support the PS3 with new games.

It must be perfectly clear to anyone now that graphics don't sell consoles, so the minor difference between PS3 and 360 exclusives don't matter anything. Since 90% of the library between PS3 and 360 is shared price is most important and 360 will always be cheaper than the PS3.

See bold:

Sony doesn't care about consumer demand.

@justinian: Regarding Sony's (or most other companies') future, the financial press is always slow to react (probably some interests or political correctness involved). Back in November it was already pretty obvious that Sony would post enormous losses for the quarter (and I have the threads to prove it), yet most of the press only started talking about it quite later (the exception were some analysts from Credit Suisse if I remember it right).

If you look at Sony's cash/debt position and the losses they're taking, they could be in trouble anywhere between 1 and 3 years from now. Every company has a required minimum cash operating level which is far from zero. It seems now they're stepping up their restructuring but still they started too late (and perhaps too little, let's wait and see).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

S.T.A.G.E. said:
BengaBenga said:
Not again.

The 10 year plan is a myth. Consumer demand decides a console life, not the manufacturer.

See bold:

The Famicom lasted from 1983 to 2003.

Take that 10-year plan.

Galaki said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
BengaBenga said:
Not again.

See bold:

The Famicom lasted from 1983 to 2003.

Take that 10-year plan.

I never said anything about the 10 year plan being a myth.You're quoting the wrong person.

Around the Network

Naughty Dog: "Any developer who gives you a 'percent of system used' answer is blowing smoke."

Naughty Dog: "We're using only 30 percent of the Cell processor"

Numbers and raw power mean nothing, it's how you bend and twist that power to work to your advantage.

Good news Everyone!

I've invented a device which makes you read this in your head, in my voice!

jetrii said:
Naughty Dog: "Any developer who gives you a 'percent of system used' answer is blowing smoke."

Naughty Dog: "We're using only 30 percent of the Cell processor"

So funny. I loved it when that was in gebx's sig.