By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Could It Be Sony Were Bang On With The 10 Year Plan?

N.Genckel said:
The PS3 will not come close to a 10 year life. The PS2 isn't even there yet.

im pretty sure the ps2 is close enough to 10 years.

Around the Network

No. The 10 year plan is bogus. They aren't making money with the PS3.

i wouldnt be surprised if psp get close to 10 years. isnt it already 5 with a new model coming out for christmas. and its still more expensive than the ps2

Max King of the Wild said:
aderoche said:

Your numbers are out a fair bit.

It was more like 100 million ps2 sold to customers by the time ps3 hit, 20 million GC and 25 million xbox. for 145 total.

Less then halfway through gen 7 and we are at 100mil and selling 40-50 a year.

ps2 sold 40million in the last 2 years... news to me

They didn't. That 140 million number includes a large number of shipped to wharehouse. There where a number of threads that discussed this when Sony financials came out Jan 26th with the 140 number.

Something about Sony recording shipped to wharehouse as sold until recently which included replacement units for warrenty returns. VGCharts has the ps2 at 120 now and when I checked launch aligned charts it was 100 after 350 weeks.

they say they hope to use nearly 100% of the cells power and that game looks amazing.10 times better than gears 2

Around the Network
aderoche said:
aderoche said:

Your numbers are out a fair bit.

It was more like 100 million ps2 sold to customers by the time ps3 hit, 20 million GC and 25 million xbox. for 145 total.

Less then halfway through gen 7 and we are at 100mil and selling 40-50 a year.

ps2 sold 40million in the last 2 years... news to me

They didn't. That 140 million number includes a large number of shipped to wharehouse. There where a number of threads that discussed this when Sony financials came out Jan 26th with the 140 number.

Something about some recording shipped to wharehouse as sold until recently which included replacement units for warrenty returns. VGCharts has the ps2 at 120 now and when I checked launch aligned charts it was 100 after 350 weeks.

your listening to this site too much. we know for a fact that its under tracked in americas since they came out with a report that it crossed 50 million sold and quoted npd at that time i think vgc had it under 45

geddesmond2 said:
they say they hope to use nearly 100% of the cells power and that game looks amazing.10 times better than gears 2

Only ten times ?

Evan Wells (Uncharted 2): I think the differences that you see between any two games has much more to do with the developer than whether it’s on the Xbox or PS3.

10% is an acceptable error margin in my opinion. We are still well on track to eclipse 6th gen sales numbers which was what I was trying to illustrate.

NJ5 said:

Those days of MS winning at any cost are over. Look at the job cuts among other things.

Actually what MS's job cuts show is that it's a much more cautious company than Sony. Instead of waiting for major losses, they preemptively reduced costs. It may look bad on a social level, but as far as the corporation goes it could be a wise measure.

If you think MS can just throw money away by continually cutting cost of their console to please their fans and get a second place finish you have no idea how business works.

The important point is that MS's ability to cut prices is not smaller than Sony's. That's pretty obvious when you look at all the combined facts:

1- MS's entertainment division is still profitable even after all its price cuts.
2- MS didn't cut prices as fast as Sony did (they're probably on target to halve 360's price 4 years after launch which hardly looks radical compared to what people are asking from Sony).
3- Sony is much more affected by the recession than MS. In fact a bankruptcy is not impossible if the recession lasts long enough and Sony can't restructure fast enough (they started too late).

Yes, all good points, There is nothing  I wrote that is contrary to anything you said.

1) The MS entertainment division comprises of a lot of things, including PC games and apparently some versions of office. This can be use to cover 360 loses.

Cutting prices means you are losing money on console sales. Depending on who you listen to there are still making a lost on consoles sold, I read this is the case last month (also about the afore mentioned entertainment divison covering xbox loses) in a US financial paper online, but live and games are making enough to cover this.

I find it hard to believe that the "bleeding edge" 360 can be cheaper to produce than the wii which some call a modified lastgen gamecube. 

(Let's not argue about this because it's inconclusive.)

As it becomes cheaper to produce the 360, automatic price cuts negates profit.

All this also applies to sony.

Compared to nintendo this makes sony and MS look like amateur businesses. I am sure the wii is a lot less cheaper to produce now than at its launch but not the remotest talk of price cuts, and why should there be?

This can be a bit harsh on sony and MS as wii's current position gives them that option, but they had the foresight to be there in the first place, something 360 and sony lacked.

You are right about the 4year plan and it should be cheaper to produce by then, but also cheaper to buy, again eating at profits.

2) Sony is losing money but no one thinks they will go under. All reports I have read from the financial press didn't give that impression but anything is possible if this recession gets worse.

From films and music to memory cards, sony has it's hands in many a pot, if this will turn out to be good or bad we will all know soon enough.

MS is considered to be the modern day titanic by many, but the original met its iceburg.

As for the recession, as it deepens no one knows what will happen. Even the greatest and mightiest can fall. All this investment in the gaming industry can be in vain if things get really, really bad.

3) Any talk of expensive all singing, all dancing, home entertainment next gen consoles in the next couple years could be laid to rest due to the recession.

benga - why are you assumjng the industry wont grow this gen?

I'm not. 

@justinian: That still doesn't take away from the fact that there's no infinite amount of costumers for videogame consoles. Consumer demand is the only thing that decides the lenght of a console life.

I don't really know why you list the sales of the last gen consoles, since it has nothing to do with the discussion. You say that without the current gen consoles the PS2/Xbox/GC would have kept selling. This is not true, Xbox and GC already more or less stopped selling before the current gen. PS2 would have sold a little more, but not that much as almost everyone that wants a PS2 has one and only Wii is a real competitor to its current costumer (=casual gamer). People that buy a 360/PS3 in the first 2 years are not the same people that would have bought a PS2 if these new consoles weren't released, I hope you understand that.

The ~200 million people with a last gen system are not potential costumers for a last gen system anymore.