By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Was 1998 the best year of gaming the world has seen?

not according to GameTrailers, they peg "the best year of gaming the world has seen" as 2007.

I'm going to have to go with 1998 though.

Metal Gear Solid, Ocarina Of Time (played through in 2000), Banjo-Kazooie, Tekken 3, WCW/NWO Revenge, and many, many others. A Dream was born that year.

Not only was 1998 the best of video games, it was the best year of pro wrestling in existance. Goldberg peaked, Kane peaked, Mankind flew of the cell, great stuff.

Around the Network

Damn straight 1998 was the best

add Starseige Tribes to that gaming list of brilliance

I'm pretty sure Chrono Cross didn't come out in '98. I bought it AND Final Fantasy IX at almost the same time. If FFVII came out in 97, Chrono had to come out in 99-2000.

1998 beats any year of gaming hands down. Like half the amazing games we still play or think back too were created then.

Definitely the best year for the 5th gen. Radiant Silvergun, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Metal Gear Solid, Ocarina of Time, Grim Fandango, Starcraft, Half-Life and so many other great games.

Around the Network

@d21lewis, Chrono Cross, Front Mission 3, Parasite Eve 2, Vagrant Story, and FFIX all came out from Square on PS1 in 2000.

Heavens to Murgatoids.

1998 was beyond awesome.

We received many top notch games, hell, I even got SaGa Frontier in that year.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I definitely agree that 1998 had to be the best gaming year - so far, at least.

However, I'm baffled that the thread got this far and neither Fallout 2 nor Baldur's Gate got mentioned once - or hell, since Red Alert goes, Fallout should as well. Fallout 2 was my reason of getting into WRPG's in the first place, and every fan of Mass Effect (and Bioware games in general) should be grateful that Baldur's Gate was even made, let alone becoming a critical and commercial success.

Warning: The preceding message may or may not have included sarcasm, cynicism, irony, full stops, commas, slashes, words, letters, sentences, lines, quotes,  flaeed  gramar, cryptic metaphors or other means of annoying communication. Viewer discretion is/was strongly advised.

Yes... so far.
(>'.')>

Makes me think that you should add a "year" search field in the game database, so we could know what games were released on a system for each year...

Would be nice.

They will know Helgan belongs to Helghasts